Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Weekly Bird ABC

The letter 'B' was easy except that I had to choose which
pictures to post and which to leave.
The first three photos are by Ruth,
the remaining ones are Jake's work.
Bird number one is a common one here in summer,
the Blue Winged Teal can be seen on most lakes and water ways.
A summer would not be complete without this charming little guy.
the Black-and-white Warbler.
This birds name is easy to remember,just look at the color of the bird.
Last summer we had the chance to shoot Barn Swallows.
These birds are so often in flight that it was a treat to have one pose like this. Here is a bird that is always a thrill to see. The Bald Eagle,perhaps the most well recognized bird of all.
We don't always see this bird,so it is a treat when we have a photo shoot with one.
The Blackburnian Warbler is so bright and colorful.
The little bird with a black cap is none other than a Blackpoll Warbler. I enjoy most of the birds,but this one is among my favorites.
The flash of color from a male Baltimore Oriole is what I wait for each spring.
We have had as many as 14 of the Orioles in one tree feeding on oranges,
what a sight.
Some people refer to this bird as the 'skunk' bird. I prefer it's real name of Bobolink. They prefer open grasslands for nesting. A belted Kingfisher is a bird you won't forget once you see and hear it. The bad hair day is normal,and they have a chatter call in flight. Take time to enjoy God's created world.

18 comments:

  1. Wow, Ruth... So many birds you list are ones I have never heard of... So beautiful!!!! Love seeing that eagle in flight with that beautiful blue sky in the background.

    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid photography. I loved all your birds, but was particularly taken with the beautiful warblers and the 'skunk' bird. Of course I can't forget the Kingfisher either. Hard to pick just one I love. The B. Oriole was stunning in his bright orange and yellow suit of feathers.. How nice a post was this! Loved it. To God be the Glory!
    Since we are using B ---Have a BLESSED day Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these pictures are just wonderful. Thanks for sharing them and sending us such BEAUTY in your 'B' alphabet post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth/Jake: Those are wonderful captures of the neat birds. I would not of known several of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all those "B" birds! That Oriole was so vibrant! Can't wait for their return to Michigan this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a line-up that was!!! 'B' is for BEAUTY!!! That Blackpoll Warbler is just to DIE for - wow ...I hope I can find one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an exceptional group of "b" birds. You outdid yourself on this post. All the pictures are excellent. Those warblers! and to get such good shots of the Barn Swallow and Belted Kingfisher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing shots Ruth, and so Beautiful! Some of these Spring Warbler's I've seen years ago and of course I didn't have my camera sewn to my hip like I do now ! LOL.
    Thanks for posting these.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the birds.. the bobolink is great, as are all of them.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, I was looking forward to your "B" birds.. love the bobolink bird..thanks for sharing and thanks for all the information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, I love your pictures and your admonition to enjoy the One who created all these great birds! Never seen a Blackburnian warbler or the black and white warbler...very cool birds indeed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your warblers.
    They're tough for me, and we don't get nearly the variety you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved seeing all your pretty birds. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, how did you get that Kingfisher to sit still long enough for a photoshoot?

    All of your shots are gorgeous and amazing how many begin with a 'B'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth: what a beautiful collection of bird photos! Several I have never seen in person here in my area..the Baltimore Oriole for one! What amazing color!The eagle another..I'll be in Arizona in a few weeks staying 2 months so I'm sure I'll see a few of these birds that you post..I'll be looking! Wonderful post!hugs NG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'm so jealous! I never see any of those birds and they are all so beautitful! I love the Blackpoll Warbler, the Boblink, and the Oriole! Lovely birds! I'm going to enjoy your alphabet a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are FABULOUS Ruth! I have never seen the warblers you posted...that black and white one reminds me of a zebra :)
    The blackpoll one reminds me of our chickadees!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth