Monday, May 11, 2009

My Weekly Bird ABC

Welcome to my weekly bird series.
'P' stands for pretty,plain and maybe pesky.
Today 'P' represents a variety of birds.
The male Purple Finch seen here is one of the pretty birds for today. Another view of this gorgeous bird.
Plain would probably describe the female Purple Finch. She lacks the vibrant color but is still a good looking bird. The Male Finch has a beautiful song as well. This 'P' bird, the Pileated Woodpecker used to be somewhat rare around here but that has changed. We see him often in various parts of town. Even when one doesn't see the bird,the large oblong holes he drills into the trees are a sure give away. Another rather plain bird is the Pied-billed Grebe. This is the smallest of the grebes. Grebes are known for diving under water to find food. I think pretty would also describe the Palm Warbler. Recently when I had the chance to watch him gleaning insects from the shrubs,I realized that he is tireless in his search. Some folks would say this last bird is pesky. I do like them a lot. On the coldest days of winter they show up and fill the air with their twitter. In flight they show patches of yellow on the wings. What's not to love about a cute little bird like this. I might add that the following picture is proudly displayed in our living room.
Today's pictures are a mix of Jake and Ruth's work. How great are your works,O Lord.
Psalm 92:5

19 comments:

  1. One last P. Pretty, these shots are just as pretty as those before them. I love the last one especially, the lighting is so pretty on it. Thanks, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth: Beautiful series of captures of your area birds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great series of photos. Love the last one a lot. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ruth, I've caught up on your posts. I always love your weekly bird posts. We don't have many of your "P" birds here--but we do have the Pileated Woodpeckers. I enjoyed the "O" birds also.

    I also love your Meadowlark picture. No wonder it's your personal best.

    Hope you had a great Mother's Day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love those "raspberry" tinted finches when they decide to show up! Purple never seems like the right color for their name. I knew you would show at least one bird that I have never seen...the palm warbler. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved getting caught up on your bird ABCs. I had not heard of the Ovenbird before. I like your picture of the Pine Siskin and understand why you have it displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post again... "q" is coming, but I am sure you will not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for P! Lovely birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great P birds - some of my faves - especially the Pileated. your purple finch photos were stunning! And I grudging like the Pine Siskin - I love listening to their constant chatter! I think they may be little gossips... ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog...love it...sign me up as a new fan...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your beautiful bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad Shelley beat me here...I was going to say that those pine siskins are her new favorite. :-) That palm warbler sure is a good-looking bird! Nicely done once again, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are all lovely birds, beautifully photographed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. More great pictures Ruth and Jake. All the birds are so pretty this time of year.
    I have to agree those Pine Siskins are pesky, but I never had them till this year, and I'm still enjoying all of them.
    Have a wonderful day. It's wet here and very windy.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Ruth, you really out did yourself with this P Post. That Pine Siskin is beautiful, they are very photogenic in the right light for sure...and of course the Pileated is one of my favorites, The P. grebe how cute he is, and I just love your mr and mrs purple finch. I'm so glad you posted this, because I have one at the feeder and I keep thinking that is what it is...but not sure. I don't think I ever had one. He is so cute and not afraid at all. I love his fluffy little head!! Nice post. Positively Profusely Pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my Ruth, another personal best with that picture of the pine siskin..what a photo!! You sure caught him in all his glory!!
    Your pictures of all your P birds are wonderful...I would love to see the pileated more often..I hear him alot but finding him is another challenge!!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruth, I always enjoy the variety you show on these ABC posts - really love that palm warbler!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth