Thursday, July 30, 2009

Birds and Blossoms

During the month of July,Jake and I have watched a Cooper's Hawk nest.
Friends of ours live in this park like setting,just down the road from us,
they have this nest right on the yard.
Please bear with me as I realize that once again I have uploaded the pictures backwards.
So now you will see the progression from fledglings to nestlings in reverse order.
This young bird was proudly sitting several feet from the nest.

On the opposite side of the nest it's sibling was checking us out.
This view shows both the nest and one adventurous bird. About a week earlier this was the scene at the nest. Three very alert youngsters.
Here is one of the parents just giving us that look.
One of our first visits showed three white puff balls in the nest.
These friends of ours are excellent gardeners and it is evident as soon as you enter the yard.
The spacious yard has mature trees all around it,with an open park like
setting in the middle.
Flower beds curve gracefully around the perimeter of the yard.
Each season yield another burst of color from the various flowers.
Here is one of many Day lilies growing on the premises.
This Lily is a knockout.
In a bed close to the house she has several of these plants.
Here I pointed the camera along one flower bed.
This is another view of one of the beds.
I enjoy every visit to this yard,it's like visiting a beautiful park.
Thanks to our friends for allowing us to spend all this time
photographing the birds and blossoms.
Enjoy happiness,treasure joy.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Ruth! These are beautiful pictures of your Birds and Blooms! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden, Ruth. Your friends have a marvelous garden. And I'm so glad you got to see the baby hawks.. How special is that!!!!! Tell your friends THANKS from US --since you shared their garden with us!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a surprise for you. Click here to get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, look at those little faces in the 4th picture!! They are sooo cute!
    Your lily pictures are so GORGEOUS, especially the first one. That pastel pink makes it look so gentle. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific series of the Hawks and Blossoms! Good work. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing indeed. I don't have a tree high enough for a coopers hawk nest, or at least mine are only about 40 feet tall -- a Norway spruce. The adults would hide in it a couple of years ago.

    The last pair that nested close to here were in Paul Clark's tree and those are way up there - the highest trees around. If I got them to nest in my oak tree it would be something special. It is about 30 feet tall. Maybe tall enough.

    I really do like your photos of this hawk and think the babies and adults and fledgling are just beautiful.

    Now, you and your friends can help me Make History. I am trying to see if it is possible to get 10,000 visitors in a short period of time on my new blog, Pick a Peck of Pixels. If you go there, please either become a Follower or leave a comment. You can come back each day to see and read something new. Your visit will count and help me Make History. Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, I really enjoyed the series of hawk photos! What a great experience to have a nest so close! Thanks for sharing them :) Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful opportunity! The pictures of the Cooper's Hawk and especially the babies are delightful!
    Gorgeous post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never come across a Coopers Hawk nest. Great pictures of the birds and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful shots Ruth. Those birds really were quite happy to pose for you. I love the Daylilies too. My neighbor and I bartered Daylilies for eggs. She had too many, and I wanted some of hers.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous post Ruth! The pics of the hawks are awesome...and the flowers are lovely!

    PS - I upload my photos in the wrong order all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what I like most -- the pictures of the hawks or the picture of the flowers. In either case the setting is beautiful, as are the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to get to see the hawks nest and the youngsters. These are great shots. Thanks for sharing this with us! Beautiful flowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic photographs! really nice work ..I must say.
    Every picture is crystal clear and well composed...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just adore lilies so much and these ones you have here are so amazingly beautiful! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It doesn't matter if the pictures are backward or forward they're still great. What good shots. I'm sure they weren't easy to see. The lilies are spectacular. It's nice to have friends that like to share their garden with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruth: What a neat display of the Coopers Hawk at the nest. You are so lucky to have found it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It certainly was a treat I'm sure to see this family of hawks up close!Oh and the flowers..what a treat!A delightful post Ruth! Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your kind words about our yard, Ruth. It was great to have the Cooper Hawks here this year, and to be able to share them with such wonderful photographers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth