Monday, July 13, 2009

My Weekly Bird ABC

The letter 'Y' is a sigh that this series is winding down.
Thankfully I have more 'Y' birds to show today.
Our first bird is the small Yellow-throated Vireo.
As you can see the yellow extends into the breast as well,
but,I didn't give him his name.

Both pictures were taken right in front of our door.
We were fortunate to be able to watch one of these birds build a nest last year.
Unfortunately the nest was not on our yard,but a a nearby park.
This bird who is in the Woodpecker family is called a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
To see the yellow belly one has to see him from the bottom.
There is a faint yellow wash on his belly.
In fact it is so faint that it is hard to see.
Once again I had no part in the naming process.
The bird seen here is a gorgeous male,
the female lacks the red throat.
The Yellow Warbler is easy to identify,he is all yellow.
There is some variation as to color,some birds have very distinct
rusty streaks on the breast,others lack these and may be a duller yellow.
The Yellow Warbler is a persistent singer as well.
Here is another view of the Yellow-belled Sapsucker.
This is near a nest hole,so the bird was quite tame. One of our first spring migrants is the Yellow-rumped Warbler. The males are particularly beautiful.
I apologize for my pictures not being in order,but another look at the Yellow Warble.
You will notice the darker streaks on this bird.
Take a close look at the Yellow-rumped Warbler.
Is that not a cute little fellow?
Although these pictures do not show it,they really do have a bright yellow rump.
The females are generally more dull,but that yellow rump is
a good identifying mark.
Well folks it looks like next week I need to wrap this up.
It should be fun,stay tuned.
The Lord is a great God. Psalm 95:3

18 comments:

  1. Ruth: What a wonderful set of Y birds. I never see any of them and would love to have a chance to snap their photo.
    I can hardly wait to see what Z brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all such wonderful photos! Great detail - helpful in identifying different species. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lovely yellows! My favorite is that last photo...what a cute picture and such detail and with an "attitude" look :-) Seems a bit "pouty", but I love its eye area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, You have done a marvelous job with all of the birds. I have enjoyed it SO much. That last little guy (Yellow-rumped Warbler) is so cute.It's amazing how many different colors there are when it comes to birds.

    Thanks SO much!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice Y post, Ruth! Love your selection of birds. I have to do a Y post next Monday as we go backwards from Z to A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All wonderful photos, but the Sapsucker photos are absolutely great. I cannot get that close at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your birds are marvelous and all so neat and crisp in line and color. I will have to take a second look at some of my gold finches. I think some might be the Yellow-throated Vireo. If they inhabit these woods. LOL

    Thank you very much for visiting my birds blog and for the comment you left me there.
    My Birds Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ruth, for another interesting and informative post. I really enjoyed this 'Y' post -- the pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Ruth, yet again. I spotted the Yellow-rumped Warbler in a pine tree on a mountain top and was smitten by his dapper yellow vest! It is a striking little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, you really out did yourself with this post full of gorgeous 'Y' birds! Stunning picture of the yellow-bellied sapsucker and that last shot of the yellow-rumped just might be the best I've ever seen for the 'cute' factor - wow!!! Loved the whole post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, for some reason I always try to pick a favorite, that's silly. They're all wonderful. I especially like the little warblers. Thanks for bringing these beautiful pictures to us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely masterly shots of little birds! I wish they would stay half as still for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post. Your photos are truly good. Love the Yellow-rumped Warbler shots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed your series of bird photos! Your captures are always so delightful. You and Jake have such a great eye for composition and balance. I have never seen a yellow-bellied sapsucker..yet!! Hope to some day!! I've learned alot about birds from your a-z series..
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, it's hard to believe it's been 25 weeks so far. Wow! Where did the time go? Great photos as usual - love the last one best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You need to put a link in your sidebar to this ABC series. It has been outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are all wonderful - the last one is PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, your bird shots take my breath away! You need to publish a BIRD calendar!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth