Monday, July 20, 2009

My Weekly Bird ABC

Well here we are at the end of the alphabet.
Today we take a look at the letter 'Z'.
Since I have not seen a Zebra bird I had to find something else.
The first bird is more commonly known as a White-crowned Sparrow,
BUT,
for today I will use it's scientific name of 'Zonotrichia levcophrys'.
Aside from a name like that,this is a beautiful bird.
The plaintive whistle is a welcome sound in early spring.

We usually see this bird on the ground,scratching for food.
I believe this bird was waiting his turn at the feed on the ground.
Here is another view of this spring bird. Next I want to show you another common bird,the Mourning Dove. Yes,this bird too has a special scientific name,'Zenaida macroura'. Below is a picture I took last summer. It seems as though the Mourning Doves were having a convention. Mourning Doves look so soft and gentle. You can almost see the tenderness in this dove's eyes. Their gentle cooing is one that I look forward to in spring. Jake was lucky enough to capture this one in flight.
Well folks that's it for the ABC.
I am almost sorry to have it end,it has been most enjoyable for me.
Because I don't want this to end too quickly,here is a quick review of all the letters.
Enjoy.
I might add that I have another series in the works.
This one will be titled 'A Walk Down Memory Lane'.
Stay tuned next week for more.
The Lord is a great God.Psalm 92:5

19 comments:

  1. A Mourning Dove in flight, don't think I have ever seen a pic of one. Love the collage!

    Leedra’s Photos For Fun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Ruth.... I was sad that this series was over, but since you are thinking about a new one, I'm HAPPY.

    Before I started paying attention to the birds, I never dreamed that any sparrow could be as pretty as the one you have pictured here...

    And of course, you know how much I love the Mourning Doves.

    Thanks for this series.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll still refer to Mourning Dove rather than Zenaida macoura! But I do want to thank you for a fascinating series and the review you gave us at the end. I'm looking forward to the new series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't ever seen a mourning dove around my parts before. I think that they do have such a gentle look about them... the one that Jake caught in flight is really neat. How lucky to get that one.

    Hugs and kisses♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for a great series and I so look forward to what you do next! I love that you used the scientific names, I have a flock of about 6 mourning doves who stay nearby and are interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth: Wonderful job and thanks for sharing your photos and your knowledge of birds with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I loved seeing the a review of alll the birds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth, this has ben such fun and I've learned a lot too. Thanks for putting the ABC's of birds together for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed your ABCs of birds...Your photos are wonderful and the info you shared was quite fun to read!
    Looking forward to your walking down memory lane..sounds like an enjoyable time!
    Thanks again for all your hard work to organize and fire off all those alphabet birds!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos of the White-Crowned Sparrow (they are one of the sweetest birds) and the Mourning Dove. Lovely display of all your wonderful bird sightings. Congratulations to both you and Jake on a great series! I've enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely last birds, Ruth. You did a lot of work on this bird alphabet. Thank you so much I really enjoyed it. And I learned a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have really enjoyed reading your Weekly Bird ABC - very educational and enjoyable! Looking forward to the new series! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your review set of photos is beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This has been so enjoyable, I hate to see it end! You really found such great examples for each letter. Very sneaky with the Z :-) Love that flight shot of the Mourning Dove.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo, bravo!! You did a fantastic job with this series and I always looked forward to see what would be posted. This white-crowned sparrow - in fact all three of these shots are outstanding, Ruth! And I do LOVE the wrap up with all the birds. Marvelous job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did great for "Z". We only seem to see the White crowned and White throated sparrows in the late winter. Must be they migrate up your way.
    Your review is beautiful!
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent post. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Audrey is on Pick a Peck of Pixels. You saw her with green peas all over her face. Now, see her at 9 with her hair blowing in the wind. Be part of history. Become a Follower or leave a comment. Tell you friends. Link up. Pick a Peck of Pixels

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every photo is excellent! The series shots were beautifully made too! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely shots Ruth! The mourning doves do seem very gentle!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth