Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Bird Highlights of 2009

 Since we are almost ready to step into 2010 I would like to look back
at some of the birding highlights of the past year.

This first bird the Eurasian Collared Dove was a lifer for us.
Photographing these birds was a definite highlight of JANUARY.




The Common Redpoll is  not a lifer,but still a joy to see.
In  FEBRUARY Jake got this shot.


MARCH gave us this almost pure white Snowy Owl.
No matter how often I see these,they always cause me to take a second look.


APRIL brought a brand new Canon 100-400mm lens,and this Black-capped Chickadee.
This was one of the very first pictures taken with the new lens.


In MAY we went to Delta Marsh,Manitoba and were able to capture this Dunlin.
The Dunlin was one of the reasons we went here,this is a life bird as well.


JUNE and a walk through one of our town parks,yielded this picture.
The Great-crested Flycatcher is one bird I was hoping to get a good shot of.


The Lark Sparrow was another bird which had eluded me as far as pictures were concerned.
In JULY I managed to get a few decent shots,this being one of them.


AUGUST yielded two more lifers for us.
The first was this Northern Mockingbird.


Secondly we were thrilled to be able to see and photograph the Say's Phoebe.
I'd say August was a good month for us.


The Ruby-throated Hummingbird is by no means an unusual bird,but always a thrill to see.
In SEPTEMBER we spent many hours at the English Gardens in Winnipeg,Manitoba.
The Hummers were very cooperative,and we were able to get many great pictures.


OCTOBER,and the birding begins to slow down,so we have to look for new ways to shoot the birds.
Jake and I spent quite some time watching and shooting the Blue Jays as they helped themselves to peanuts.


NOVEMBER gave us one more special bird.
We had seen the Red-bellied Woodpecker before,but this was our best chance to get some pictures.
This was also at the English Gardens in Winnipeg.


Now we are in DECEMBER and in southern Manitoba we see only the very hardy birds.
This Northern Flicker surprised me with a visit to our suet block.
We have seen him at the window fairly regularly since then.


OK I know this is not a bird,but I thought I would throw it in.
This picture was taken by my three year old granddaughter.
I think she did a good job,too bad the subject wasn't better.LOL

This will be my last post for 2009,so I pray that each one
of you will feel God's nearness in the coming year.

I see God in the majesty of His creation.

28 comments:

  1. These are wonderful bird photos. The snowy owl takes my breath away. What a beautiful creature! I can see a future in photography for your granddaughter! She did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth,
    I like the way you showed us a bird for each month! All of them are beautiful and you got great shots of them. That grand-daughter is a budding photographer, for sure. That's a good picture and glad you included it. Wishing you God's Peace, Love and Joy in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, You have a wonderful list of great birds there for 2009. You grand-daughter did great taking your photo. I think it looks nice. I wish you all the best in 2010 and a wonderful list of birds for 2010.

    Happy New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, what a wonderful bird list for 2009 - I especially enjoyed seeing the beautiful snowy owl.

    Wishing you a wonderful new year full of health and happiness (and lots of good photo opportunities) :)

    Your granddaughter definitely has your and Jake's talents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these bird shots, Ruth, love the chickie in the last picture. The chickadee is spectacular - some of the branches almost look like ferns and the bluejays look quite ungraceful trying to get the peanuts. Each picture is wonderful. Best wishes to you, too, for the coming new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth what a JOY to see all these beautiful birds! I love the photo of YOU! Lovely blue eyes! So nice to put a beautiful face to your name!
    Wishing a Happy joy filled New Year!
    I do feel HIS nearness as I move closer to my surgery date Jan 5th.
    love and light aNNa xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Ruth, terrific line-up of monthly shots! Now I wish I had them on a calendar!!! Your granddaughter has a great eye! Great picture of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great collection of bird highlights. Are you sure you didn't pose for Mrs. Butterworth? Just kidding...great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always get such marvelous pictures Ruth! Some of those birds we don't have here, so it is great to be able to view them through your eyes.
    I'd say your granddaughter did a excellant job, and certainly is following in Grandma's footsteps!
    Happy New year! I hope the New Year brings you and your family great joy, much happiness, and good health.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruth, I love that picture of you... Makes me feel like I know you better!!!! Your granddaughter did a great job...

    AND--I love seeing your birds... You have some of the same ones that we have, but you also have many others which we do not have... Love that dove... WOW!!!!

    Happy New Year to you and Jake... I'll have one more post tomorrow morning and then I won't be blogging til Monday.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the highlights and great shot by the budding 3 yr old photographer! Thank you for a year of amazing pictures, and for the encouragement you gave me as a brand new blogger. God's blessings to you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many beautiful birds and most of them ones that I never see, so I love seeing them in your blog! I'd say your granddaughter did a wonderful job :-) Happy New Year! May God bless you each day with new surprises and much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this post Ruth, beautiful photos, all of them. Your granddaughter did a great job taking that photo, future photographer maybe??
    Happy New Year and may 2010 be full of laughter and love for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a special treat Ruth! This was an awesome post. I have always enjoyed the photo's you and Jake capture of birds and love seeing birds that I may never see in person. Thanks so much for sharing and I look forward to all the post from Ruth and Jake in 2010!

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth: Wonderful photos throughout the year. I hope you have a great New Years celebration tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. May God be with you (and I know he will) for 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This series is wonderful. The Snowy Owl photo is exceptional. Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ruth,
    I enjoyed seeing each month with a different bird. Your little granddaughter is a budding photographer for sure!

    2010 upon us and I pray for each of us to be blessed... May we draw closer to God and all his glory.

    god Bless
    Jalynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI. I love your photos. They are always a joy to view. What do you mean when you say a bird is a "lifer"?
    Happy New Year!
    Corianne

    ReplyDelete
  20. I see your granddaughter is following in your footsteps and is going to become an accomplished photographer. Thanks for taking us through 2009 by means of your bird photos -- they are all wonderful. I hope all of you have a very happy and healthy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ruth,
    I can't say enough how I always look forward to visiting your blog..such pictures you and Jake capture..that snowy owl would take my breath away..and I specifically remember that post when you saw it!! Your photos are always so crystal clear and I must say the birds seem to just pose for you!! Love the jays in the peanut bucket..some times those in our backyard can give us such a delightful time with their antics.
    Do have a wonderful 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Ruth,

    Beautiful capture of the birds, and that snow owl is exquisite! Happy New year to you and yours! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Ruth, I enjoyed every single one of your bird shots! Some of those I've only seen in pics.
    And I think your granddaughter did a Fabulous job with your pic. Your beauty shines thru not only in the picture but also in your wonderful personality. I have so enjoyed blogging with you this year and looking forward to more of it in 2010. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth