Thursday, December 17, 2009

Some More Scenes from the English Gardens

 AS we approach Christmas,my life has gotten quite busy,so today I take you back to November 11
and show some pictures taken on that day.

Jake and I had gone to Winnipeg and at the Assiniboine Park we saw these seed heads.
I don't know what they are,but with the light behind them they looked pretty.


Of course no visit to Winnipeg is complete without a stop at the English Gardens.
The birds here are used to hand outs.
Here is the White-breasted Nuthatch coming for some seeds.


This Black-capped Chickadee is helping himself to sunflower seeds from my hand.
They are all over and are not afraid of humans.
It's pretty neat to be able to feed them this way.



On our way home we saw this beautiful sunset.
This alone would have been worth the trip.
I find that the colors are never quite the same on the picture,but still lovely.


I know,this is not a bird and was not taken on November 11.
A friend of ours is very talented when it comes to carving.
He made this by just looking at a picture.
The fish,a Northern Pike is about 12 inches long.
Actually this is going to be a gift for our friends grandson.

Here's a thought for you:
Why settle for less than the best God has for you?

19 comments:

  1. Lovely series as always. Love the Chickadee on your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bird pictures, especially the Chickadee in your hand!! How neat! The Pike is very realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that - why settle for less than God has planned for me. Thanks, Ruth. Thanks, too, for the great pictures. I love the little chickadee. Mine aren't nearly so tame, I think my dog scares them. But I can enjoy yours. Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've asked a great question that we all need to carefully consider. Your pictures are all great, but I especially like the first picture of the seed heads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth: Neat winterly photos, I loved the carved pike, really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Ruth... I'd love to get a chickadee to eat out of my hand someday. That would be a dream come true...

    That Northern Pike is amazing... That boy will really enjoy that gift. Such a talented friend you have!!!!

    Great pictures.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chickadee is adorable!! So cute! It must be such a great feeling to have a wild little bird come eat out of your hand, so sweet :)
    That nuthatch picture is beautiful, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your comment at a blog I was just visiting from You Capture and I had to come and say hi : ) I saw that sweet little picture of you and your grandchild in the comment box and I just ADORE grandmas! : ) I love your pictures. SO pretty! The Western Meadowlark and the Columbine are so pretty. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having a Chickadee eat out of hand always erases any stress in my day. That is a terrific picture of the Nuthatch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those seed heads! What a great shot! What a memory to have a bird eating out of your hand! Thanks for the question to carefully consider!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would LOVE to be able to feed birds from my hand. What a thrill it must be. Seed heads are always so interesting to photograph too. It's fun to try to guess what the flower must have looked like.
    Have a wonderful Friday.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The birds feeding out of your hand is really nice. They are almost the same here as far as being tame goes but I have not tried to feed them. I don't think I could hold my arm out that long. LOL

    I also liked the Pike Wood Carving. That is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful carving and gift - will last a lifetime then can be passed on.

    What sweet birds in your post today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and photos, Love the Nuthatch and how cool to have the chickadee eating from your hands. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, that is one absolutely excellent shot of the WB Nuthatch, Lovely!

    Merry Christmas to both you and Jake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hmmm my favorite fish to eat..pike!! so bony but so sweet! I love your seed head pics and that nuthatch is so cute. Always love to visit and see your photos..you have such a great eye for creating such nice shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. No matter what day you take them, the photos are always so pretty! I wish I could get a chickadee to eat from my hand. What a neat experience that must be. Love that first shot of the seed heads with the sunlight and that sunset...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful as always, Ruth! Thank you for sharing. :o)

    I love the chickadee in your hand. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth