Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Splash of Yellow on a Winter day

 I have decided to spend some time with the birds again.
I will try to do some regular posts,featuring one bird at a time.
To begin,I want to take a look at the American Goldfinch.

Here is a Goldfinch in it's breeding plumage.
It is hard to miss this brightly colored bird.
Even before it is seen ,one can here it's light canary like song.
The undulating flight is accompanied by it's song,given in each dip of the flight pattern.


The American Goldfinch is often seen among the flowering thistles.
The yellow of the bird and  the purple of the flowers give a pleasing combination.

I find the Goldfinches to be such a cheerful sight.
Their constant high pitched song will bring a smile to my face most any day.


The Goldfinches use the thistle as a food source and also use the downy seeds in nest building.


Even when the Goldfinch is not the primary subject,it still stands out.
The Spotted Sandpiper in the foreground is almost missed as the eye seeks out the Goldfinch.


After the late breeding season,Goldfinches molt into soft shades of yellow and brown.
I should add that at least in Manitoba they have a late breeding season,compared to all other birds.



The color may not be as vibrant,but the beauty is still there.


In the cold of winter even the subtle colors of it's winter plumage are bright.


This male is particularly lovely.In the chin area there is the promise of the new colors to come in spring.
This is one bird which is found almost all across North America.
The pictures were taken by Jake and Ruth


How great are your works,O Lord,
how profound your thoughts.
Psalm 92:5

29 comments:

  1. Happy New Year again Ruth.
    Wonderful and amazing captures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Ruth! what beautiful photo's of a beautiful bird.

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful pictures of one of my favorite birds! Love their bright yellow feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, how great are God's works, and how profound His thoughts! Amazing creation for our enjoyment and for you to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year!!! I love the colors on this bird... yellow is so bright and vibrant and with winter's greys and whites, it's so nice to see a splash of color on my screen!
    What pretty photos. I love the one when he's in the water...
    Hugs and kisses♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such lovely shots Ruth. Sometimes I take these little beauties for granted but they are truly God's handiwork in the sky. I LOVE their little song :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, these are gorgeous photos and I especially love the ones with the purple thistle heads which really brings out the brightness of their gorgeous yellow plumage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cherry post. Loved the colors - they seem to warm me up this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems ages since I saw the brilliant yellow on our goldfinches, but you're right- the muted colors they wear in winter are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's such a bright beautiful little bird. Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful color! I love the goldfinches.
    I had wondered if the darker more tan colored were also goldfinches as we saw a lot of them in the fall all over the seed pods of the coneflowers.

    Nice to see the color - after driving around in so much snow today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing these beautiful pictures with us. It's wonderful to see those gorgeous Spring and Summer colors. We have many goldfinch at our feeders these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth: That is one great bird, I love its bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is again a nice series of photos. Those Goldfinches are so perky and sassy. A lot of fun to have around and you did a nice job on your photos of them. And you're right, I almost missed the Sandpiper in the foreground - my eyes went right for the Goldfinch in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Goldfinch day was great! Such wonderful images of such a brightly colored bird! Very cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a bright, cheery little bird the goldfinch is! It makes me happy just to see your photos of them. We don't have them here in northern Calfornia, but we have a relative of the goldfinch called a pine siskin, a dull gray and green little finch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, beautiful photos and subject. Love that bright yellow on them. They are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful, beautiful pictures Ruth. One of our most gorgeous birds, and you have captured them perfectally.
    B.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those thistles are among its favorite food. Nice set of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Goldfinches are a reliable feeder bird here at all seasons and their bright colour is so cheery. Lovely photos of their two coats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now you made me wish it was summer again. Sigh....when the goldfinches change, I'll know it is coming. Right now...snow and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow. These pictures are SO beautiful! Congratulations on Mac : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delight to open your blog on a cold sunny morning and see this special little bird. It warmed my heart. When I was diagnosed with cancer..I had a goldfiinch sit on my finger at the feeder. My had passed but always fed the finches and when this bird sat on my finger it was a sign all would be well (that was 3 yrs ago). Every Christmas a goldfinch comes to my feeder and that is very special..

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had 11 goldfinches at my feeder this morning...what an awesome sight!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These little bits of gold seem to be staying with us all winter this year. Although they have lost their bright summer colour for now, they will regain that once the warmer weather returns. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These photos os the Goldfinch are indeed very beautiful!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome shots of the Goldfinches.

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's a great bird, and your shots more than do justice to its colors and some surrounding color--a welcome sight (memory?) to accompany the cardinal in Michigan winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth