Monday, March 22, 2010

Hawk Watch

On Sunday Jake and I spent most of the day at the Pembina Valley
Hawk Watch site.
There are several people who do the official count and others come to help by spotting the birds,or just to enjoy watching these magnificent birds fly overhead.
 This Rough-legged Hawk gave us a good display as it soared over our heads.
In the next little while there should be thousands of Red-tailed Hawks passing through this valley.
 A pair of Bald Eagles did some formation flying.It seemed as though they were putting on a show for us.On Sunday they counted a total of 120 Bald Eagles.
 An immature Golden Eagle provided great looks at its beautiful wing patterns.
This is one of the most beautiful immature birds I have ever seen.
The white windows in the wings were so pronounced.
 Here is a look at some of the birders.It was a cool day as the jackets and mitts will show.
I have to say,this is a friendly group,each one trying to encourage the other.
Some of these folks are expert birders and others are very novice,but we are all one big family.
Sunday brought out a lot of people,as we also celebrated the 65th birthday of one of the official counters.
At one point jake counted 16 vehicles,and at least 60 people showed up.
Some of these folks come from Winnipeg,which is about 100 miles away.
Inspite of the cold temperatures it was a very enjoyable day.
I would encourage you to find a Hawk Watch in your area and spend a day just taking in this event.This is truly something one needs  to experience personally in order to appreciate the thrill of hundreds of birds of prey in one day.

18 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like you had a fabulous time! What amazing high flyers these birds are! I love the way they allow themselves to be carried by the currents! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. I'm sure you would have had to be there to really appreciate the comraderie. I love the shot of the two eagles, Ruth. Splendid! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots! What a lovely way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you got great pictures. Hawk Cliff is on the north shore of Lake Erie, a couple of hours from us. A lot of birders go there during migration, but generally need a scope to see the birds. I have never seen pictures like this from that site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful flight pictures.

    I had to laugh when you said you were out bird watching and counting and Jake was counting cars and people. Guess they are easier to count and don't flew off...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth - three beautiful BIFs! I can't pick a favorite - you really did a fine job! But that Golden Eagle is one I would love to see myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had such an enjoyable day at the Hawk Watch. You certainly got some great shots of those magnificent birds. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how neat, Ruth.... I'd love to be there for that, and you know that cold weather doesn't scare me!!!! ha

    Thanks for the pictures of the hawks and eagles. They are fabulous. I still want to see an eagle around here....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! I love to watch hawks circling. These are fantastic shots, Ruth! Have a wonderful week and be sure to walk with a "spring" in your step!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun and beautiful flying pictures to go with it. It's great to get together with other birders and watch together. Love those white windows on the wings of the Golden Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The group does look well-bundled up. The hawk watch sounds very exciting to me. You gor some great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by and for your wonderful comment. I enjoyed my visit to your blog today and hope to return often in the future.

    I love the eagle and hawk photographs and the good feeling that the post engenders as it shows a group of people truly enjoying the outdoors and wildlife in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful shots, Ruth! How nice that a big group gets together to watch. I like the picture of the two birds in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of doing this - guess one would have to know where to go. The day was certainly a winning day for you. Really enjoyed the photos.

    Ha, my husband would be counting cars as well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like an AMAZING day Ruth!! You got some Magnificent shots too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are truly beautiful photos, Ruth. I wish something that big would fly over my place. About all I get or even see is Turkey Vultures and so far they don't come close enough to get a picture of.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful day you must have had. Imagine seeing hawks flying over. I don't think we have them here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great pictures..its so nice to see the birds coming back.We live across from a creek and this morning we saw an eagle fly over,a robin sitting in a tree and hundreds of Canada geese coming in for some feed and a rest. The ducks are also appearing. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth