Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Raptor Migration Is On

Spring is right around the corner and that means the Raptors are beginning to come through the Pembina Valley.
It starts slowly but the momentum builds up.So far the numbers are low and that is to be expected.
The pictures I am sharing today were taken during last years Raptor Migration.

I apologize if some of these pictures have been seen on my blog before.
Nothing is quite as thrilling as to to see a mature Bald Eagle flying in a perfect blue sky.A lot of different raptors come through each year during migration,but undoubtedly the Bald Eagle draws the most comments and smiles.

Red-tailed Hawks are the most numerous with a total of over 10,000 bird counted in 2011.I love to see the Red-tailed Hawks as the sun highlights the feathers like this.


Of course when both a Red-tailed Hawk and an immature Bald Eagle show up that is a special treat. It is not often that a scene like this presents itself,so when I can capture it with my camera that is even more special.

 Let's get up close and personal with an immature Bald Eagle.
This one was interested in me and kept on coming lower and closer with each circle.I loved the moment and the only thing better would have been a mature Bald Eagle,but I am not complaining about this photo opportunity.

We don't just have raptors at the valley.I took the time to photograph this Eastern Bluebird during Raptor Migration.
Bluebirds nest in this valley,in the nest boxes provided for them.


I am pumped and ready to be a part of this years migration spectacle.
I just finished doing another presentation for A Rocha,and spoke about the migration and shared many pictures of it.
Hopefully in a few weeks I can share images from the 2012 migration.

29 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos. I especially love the eagle. I've seen them by the lake I walk around once in a while and it is ALWAYS a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, fabulous images, Ruth!! And that Bluebird photo is just superb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an exciting time of year for you! For us, too, as we get to enjoy the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are amazing pictures, especially those of the bald eagles. I look forward to seeing the pictures you get in this year's migration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so exciting...we now have sandhill cranes returning. I love the sound they make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i would love to see the eagles. your hawk in flight is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The things I'm still learning and I'm from MB!!! Beautiful shots Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth, these shots are incredible...and to see an eagle so close....What joy....One day I want to see one myself but in the meantime I can enjoy your beautiful pictures....

    What a great time of the year for you....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! You've already got some exceptional shots and the migration is just starting. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lasst year's pictures are just as thrilling as ever Ruth. It will be fun to share that with you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, these are magnificent. The Red Tail and the juvenile eagle are special treats. And the one of the Eastern Bluebird is just a really pretty picture. Great composition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just noticing the that you put the month on your header. Is that something new or am I just now seeing it? I like the touch! My favorites here are the stunning first picture and he beautiful bluebird on the white birch tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can never tire of seeing eagles... or birds for that matter - but eagles are magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just fantastic. What an intriguing time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Ruth that you can see the beautiful birds and they come so near you that is incredible. Beautiful beautiful photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, lovely shots! I've never seen that migration. Surely would like to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds so exciting, Ruth. We see a few of the bluebirds here, but they're not at my feeder. We're seeing more and more eagles, but I can't tell them apart from the buzzards when they're flying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Outstanding photos...I never get tired of seeing the eagle pictures...It is very rare for us to get to see them, so keep em' coming..
    Hugs
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are gorgeous shots Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sure glad that you reposted some of the photos because I haven't seen them and they are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Ruth for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I's glad you're excited about this, Ruth. I am hoping to get out and enjoy the migration this year too. :))

    ReplyDelete
  23. Once again beauty captured and shared by you to us that we may can enjoy the pleasures given to mankind from an awesome God above

    ReplyDelete
  24. we do not have any of these birds in the uk nice to see them thanks for sharing.
    http://wildaboutwales.us/wp/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I too am looking forward to the migration :)

    Happy shooting, and many happy sightings, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are GREAT Ruth! I am so happy that Spring is almost Sprung!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful shots of them flying! I love seeing eagles and hawks both.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos, Ruth. The birds make our lives so much more interesting and the migration period is a special time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. They're amazing creatures and you've captured them so beautifully. I look forward to seeing more from this season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth