Thursday, August 9, 2012

Recent Birds

Permit me to share some exciting photos with you.
OK,they may not be all that special,but I was excited to get these shots,especially one,which I will point out later.

 On Tuesday,August the 7,my sister Becky and I drove to Winnipeg. I wanted to see if I could find some more birds to photograph.I did indeed find some birds and came home quite happy with the days events.

Of course, no trip to the city for photography is complete without a visit to the English Gardens.
Here the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds are beginning to feed in preparation for their journey south.

In this first shot the bird looks like an angel to me.Those wings have that angelic look.


I am quite pleased with how this picture turned out,yet I know I need to go back there soon. There are always more pictures which need to be captured.


In another part of the garden the American Goldfinches were feasting on the seeds of these flowers.
He was so busy eating that I could get fairly close.


In yet another area I found this Clearwing Moth.
He seemed very small to me,but pretty non the less.


My prize of the day came as we were approaching the city limits. I spotted a hawk on a pole and could not identify it.So I did what any photographer would do,I stopped,backed up,got out of the car and started shooting.
As I was slowly walking closer I began noticing some facial markings.
I was not sure about the ID of this bird until a professional birder confirmed that it is indeed a juvenile Peregrine Falcon.To say that I was excited about this is an understatement. This is my first picture of a Peregrine. The setting is not perfect and it is a young bird,so the markings are not very distinct,but I will take it.

Yes,I had seen a Peregrine before,but only in flight and I did try for a picture then,but all I got was a blurry blob in the sky.
It was my lucky day on Tuesday and I am still smiling about this.

I just had to share this with all my blogging friends.
Have a wonderful weekend and find beauty wherever you are.

30 comments:

  1. These are some of the most beautiful hummingbird pictures I have ever seen! That new lens and your talent are perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the color in the garden photos is just wonderful! and you saw a great mix of birds and insects. too cool for the peregrine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice pictures of the hummers and other birds, too!!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ruth what a fantastic day of shooting with your camera. Love each and every one of your captures. The Hummers, and all the other birds, and I love those clear wing moths. They are fascinating to watch and photograph.
    Yes, indeed you had a great day out with your camera and have the images to prove it.
    Have a nice weekend/
    Dianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to have added a Peregrine Falcon to your list. I love your Hummingbird shots, especially the first, and that moth is amazing - like a cross between a moth and a dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Falcon! And those hummingbirds are Magnificent!!
    Woo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Hawks always fly away. The other bird shots are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have never seen a falcon except in captivity. they are amazing. love the gold finch and the second shot is priceless, you capture birds and flowers together so nothing could be better than that. i saw a tiny screech owl this morning at day break, to dark for a photo, but i stood holding my breathe watching him. so precious

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth you captured some real beauty in these images....great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those are fantastic shots! The humming bird is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow great shots - all of them.
    Happy for you that you managed to get the Peregrine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you shared these with us! Love the bright colors in Hummer photos. That Peregrine was a real find. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness Ruth, these are so very specia!! I would have wet my pants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your excitement over the Peregrine Falcon is understandable, but I'm still in awe of your hummingbird photographs. You've captured some beauties...and I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ruth, Wow, these are some great shots. Congrats on that Falcon capture. I know how hard it is to get good close shots of raptors, so very nice work there! And, of course, hummingbirds are some of my favorites. Great post! And thanks so much for your kind comments on John's Island ... they are appreciated! John

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, amazing shots! The hummer is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wszystkie ptaki i zdjęcia są wspaniałe. Dla mnie jednak najmilsze jest pierwsze zdjęcie, bo lubię te malutkie ptaszki, których u nas nie ma.Pozdrawiam.
    All the birds and the photos are wonderful. But for me the nicest is the first picture, because I like the little birds, which we do not have. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful photos, Ruth! I can't blame you for smiling about your day. Sometimes everything just goes right and it makes up for all those times you just can't quite get the shot. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can see why you are smiling Ruth. These photos are outstanding! Hummers can be a challange. Wonderful colors too.
    Have a grand weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great sight THAT must have been Ruth! Yay for getting that photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are just super; you have such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love the way all these birds pose for you so beautifully! These are gorgeous photos! You did have an awesome day and thank you for sharing these excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I feel your excitement, Ruth. What a wonderful sighting and a fine photo of the falcon. Of course your hummer and goldfinch shots are divine and how I love that little clearwing moth. What a treat of a day you had. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A falcon, too cool. Congrats. Your hummer photos are perfect. I can't wait til they get down here. I have about half a dozen now and just mixed up a double batch for next week. Love the bickering.

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW---how neat to capture that Juvie Peregrine Falcon... I can 'feel' your excitement.... Isn't birding just so much fun??????

    Love the Angel Hummingbird also.... GREAT photo...

    Thanks for sharing your day with us...What a great one you had!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Getting a pic of a Peregrine Falcon is major special! They are considered a rarity here in Georgia.
    Love the Hummer shots.:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Once again a very interesting post. So many impressive shots to look at. Those flowers blooms beautifully. You've captured it perfectly.

    pay per click traffic

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photos are beautiful thanks for sharing them

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on getting a picture of that Perigrine - so exciting to catch a photo of something new!!! Great hummer shots too - well all thw shots were lovely, great color!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth