Friday, November 23, 2012

Friends and Photography

On November 17,a dear friend of mine called first thing in the morning.
Her question was, 'what are your plans for today'? I replied by asking what she had in mind.
Turns out she wanted to spend a good part of the day pursuing photography and she chose me to join her.Let me just say,that I got ready in record time.
Sally picked me up just before 8:30 in the morning and off we went,no destination in mind,but looking for photo opportunities. 


After a hearty breakfast,we headed  out in search of that perfect photo.
We each took numerous shots of old buildings and the surrounding landscapes.

By afternoon we had made our way to the Pembina Valley.Of course I love this place and there is always a picture or two or more that needs to be taken there.
I like how the road winds its way through the valley here.

On our way to the valley we walked to an old farm site to get pictures of the buildings,which I will perhaps share at another time.The snowy landscape looks cold,but it was a beautiful day,with just a few clouds in the sky.


Even though it is months before the hawk migration begins,I know of at least one place which is almost certain to have a couple of Eagles.We were not disappointed,as we saw several adult Bald Eagles and this immature. 


We have had some colder days,but at the Pembina River there was still some open water.I enjoyed this snowy scene,with the rocks all covered in a smooth blanket of snow.


One tree is refusing to let go of its leaves.It made for  a pretty sight against the bare trees and snow covered hillside. Once again,I was shooting into the sun,but I really liked the effect on this tree.


Thought for today:
God writes the gospel not in the Bible alone,
but on trees and flowers and clouds and stars. (I would add,and in the snow)
Martin Luther

33 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sounds like a nice day. love the 2nd shot. and the eagle sighting would thrill me!

Susan said...

great pictures once again!!

Arija said...

What a wonderful day out my friend! Love your snowy landscapes and would trade our 108F degrees!!! for your snow in a heartbeat.

Cloudia said...

S enjoyable Ruth!



Warm Aloha to YOU
from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral

~ > < } } ( ° >

> < 3 3 3 ( ' >

><}}(°> ~

Linda said...

Good for you for getting out in the snow with your camera. And good for the friend who suggested it. The eagle shot is especially nice. We haven't had any measurable snow yet, but we had a few flurries today.

Betsy Adams said...

Wow---looks like you two found some fabulous places in which to get good photos...

As you know, I LOVE SNOW... BUT--we don't get much here. I'm patiently (not so patiently) waiting for a little here sometime...

Our low tonight here is 24 (F) ---but it's as clear as a bell... No precipitation anywhere near us!!!! Oh Well...

Love Love Love your photos--all of them. AND the new header is GREAT.
Hugs,
Betsy

Diane said...

Spur of the moment is so much fun most of the time. You captured some beautiful shots. Diane

Montanagirl said...

These are all nice! But I really favor the Eagle and the snow covered stones.

BlueShell said...

Oh...ahhhh You do Have snow!!!

Hope you had an Happy Thanksgiving day

Xoxo
BShell

ChrisJ said...

Just the kind of snow I like -- in a photograph! The pictures are beautiful, but i'm sorry to say i don't miss the snow at all. I love the lone tree with the sun behind it.

Kerri said...

Nothing better than a photography outing with a friend :) Lovely pics Ruth!!

Janice K said...

How blessed to have a friend to share your hobby with.

Your pictures are lovely..especially the eagle. They remind me that snow is just around the corner for us--maybe next week.

Sandra said...

you are blessed to have a friend to go on a photo shoot with, wish i had one here. the tree that is hanging on is beautiful. i am happy for you that you had such a good time

Karin said...

A friend calls first thing in the morning and wants to know what I'm up to - I'm ready in record time too! Just to grab a day of fun and fellowship. All the other chores can wait! You got some more fantastic photos! My fav this time is the open water and the rocks around it! We, too, seem to have some stubborn trees that didn't shed their leaves - makes for interest! Enjoy your week-end! The kids are coming to celebrate hubby's birthday - looking forward to it!

Anita Johnson said...

How fun to have a photography buddy! I would love to have come along too, but since I can't, thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Debbie said...

you are an excellent choice for a photography buddy!!

beautiful captures!!

Dorothy said...

Always go for a trip with a friend, especially one that includes a photo shoot! Wonderful pictures!

Cicero Sings said...

Lovely to have friends with common pursuits!

Island Rambles Blog said...

glad you are getting out with your camera...the eagle shot is great...and lots of snow I see. Looks cold, dress warm and take care.

Rick said...

Wonderful to be able to go out with a fellow photographer. Great shots of the winter (already ??) landscape, and of the eagle.

And Luther's quote is the gospel truth !

Elaine said...

A lovely day with your friend and the extra benefit is the beautiful photos you got!

Happyone said...

Sounds like a great day.
You sure got a lot of beautiful photos.

S. Etole said...

What a great opportunity. Your photos show a lovely side of winter and I've always liked that quote by Martin Luther.

Ginny said...

Again, you capture emotions so well. Your photos speak of cold and stillness. I love the crooked tree in the snow and the eagle. Your trip was a huge success!!

Christine Nees said...

Loved your thought for the day!!!!
Beautiful photos Ruth!!
Chris :o)

EG CameraGirl said...

So very pretty, Ruth! How wonderful that Sally thought of you when she decided to take a photo-taking road trip. I'm sure she appreciates your fine eye for beauty and your enthusiasm for capturing great photos.

Naturegirl said...

A wonderful thought today Ruth. Certainly God writes upon this earth with all of Nature and it is up to us to believe this to be true.
Blessings to you. hugs Anna

George said...

Your photos from the Pembina Valley are gorgeous. You found many pictures that needed to be taken and I'm glad you've shared some of them with us. I really like your photo of the immature eagle.

Shug said...

Sounds like a fun time! I thought of all my Canadian friends yesterday. We had a Canadian goose hanging out here in our small town. I suppose it was tired! Your photos are so pretty...Love the snow!
Have a great and happy day!
Shug

Hilary said...

That eagle just took my breath away, Ruth. I'd love to have a friend who suggested a photo trek. What a treat.

Mary said...

A nice day with friends and photography...what more can you ask for? Lovely photos! We haven't had any snow yet. I'm not ready for winter, I don't think.

Caroline Gill said...

Greetings from Suffolk, UK, where we have ice on the windscreen ... but no snow yet. I just love that eagle photo! And your wonderful quotations.

Neal said...

Wow...I am glad I didn't miss these. I don't always have time to visit every day but always try to go back and look. Those are wonderful shots.