Monday, December 17, 2012

Unexpected Beauty

On Saturday,December 15,I was on my way to A Rocha to attend a Christmas Open House there when I encountered beauty beyond compare.
At home everything looked pretty normal,snow on the ground and bare tree branches against the blue sky Nothing wrong with that picture,but I was in for a surprise.

 I had only travelled a few miles west of town when the landscape changed. Every branch and grass was covered in a heavy layer of Hoar Frost.I have not seen frost this thick in a very long time.
This is not snow on these branches,but frost crystals.What a marvellous sight!


I hardly knew what direction to turn the camera.Of course that brilliant blue sky only added to the beauty. If you look near the top and centre of the tree in the picture below,you can see  a few branches where the frost has already fallen off. This gives you an idea of just how thick the frost was.


Once I got to A Rocha,the birds were willing photo subjects.
The White-breasted Nuthatch is not one to sit still for very long,so I had to be quick to get this shot.
Notice that even here some frost is evident on the trees.


By the time I started towards home the sun was low in the western sky.The low angle of light turned the frost covered trees into yet another scene of beauty.
I love the way the trees turned pink in the evening light.


Once again I was hard pressed to make a choice as to which direction I would shoot.Looking east all was a beautiful shade of pink or almost purple and to the west the setting sun was creating a different kind of beauty. This scene looks like a cold day,when in reality it was a beautiful winter day,with little or no wind and comfortable temperatures.

 I drove the rest of the way home,about a half hour drive,smiling and praising God for allowing me to be out there at just the right moments.


Thought for Today:
It's not just what you look at that matters,
it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

38 comments:

  1. Oh those first two photos are breathtaking beautiful. The blue is so very blue against the white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos! I love Hoar Frost

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, WONDERFUL! It is a fairyland, a wonderland! And great detail on the little nuthatch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this beauty that you captured with your camera. It is a real treat for someone living in s.e. FL where the temps are in the lo 80's.

    Have a lovely Christmas.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hoarfrost on the trees is absolutely gorgeous. I've never seen hoarfrost that thick. All of your photos are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures, Ruth! I especially like the bird!!! All the hoarfrost is so pretty, too. You are blessed to me able to make these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful treat! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow---all of these pictures just take my breath away... Incredible.. I love them all, especially the ones with the hoar frost. I've never seen it THAT thick before.

    Love the Thoreau quote...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes you were there at the right time! Lovely white and blue...you really can capture most beautiful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have NEVER seen hoar frost that thick before! And to think that it was still coating the trees as the sun set that evening is just amazing. On those occasions when we have hoar frost, it seldom lasts past noon. The nuthatch photo is spectacular, with the hoar frost branches blurred in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dusted with a generous sprinkling of icing sugar - ready to bring us joy!! Oh, I just LOVE your photos! What an awesome Creator - who happens to be our Father! Awe inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is beauty all around us, we just have to look for it. You found the beauty, Thanks for sharing your magnificent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We (Daryl and I) saw such a sight once, on our way to the coast. So beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ruth...What a stunning sight!!
    Hard to believe, but only by Gods hand it is!!
    Great shot of the Nuthatch!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely gorgeous, Ruth. You have quite the knack of having your camera with you at the right place and time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beauty beyond compare indeed! It's always a joy to find such beauty when we least expect it. Exceptional shot of the little nuthatch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi dear ruth,

    gorgeous photos, what a spectacular!
    thanks for your beautiful post, anything to make a heart smile is a good thing, especially now.

    big hugs to you!

    blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  18. How blessed to be able to behold such beauty. I have seen hoar frost, but never so thick...Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. more of Gods decorating of the trees, so beautiful and that precious little bird walking DOWN the tree is so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ruth, lovely, lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never seen anything like it before...absolutely beautiful!! These special kind of God moments are wonderful..
    Hugs to you Ruth..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous Ruth, I don't think I have ever viewed anything this spectacular! Good thing you were not speeding along ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh such beautiful sights! We had our first snow last night, the world looks fresh and clean and bright! Merry Christmas to you Ruth, in case I don't get back here before!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness, such gorgeous sights so beautifully captured! I oohed and ahhed while scrolling through your stunning photographs. Love the cute nuthatch and pink tinted trees!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Ruth, Another wonderful series of photos. Your photography is just great. Thank you for sharing. John

    ReplyDelete
  26. How very beautiful! I love ice crystals.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ruth, you have captured fairyland, so very beautiful.

    Thank you for being my friends through this tough time. I really admire how you have come through your own great loss.

    Love . . . Arija

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your photos bring a smile to my face...I enjoyed their beauty

    ReplyDelete
  29. A magical winter wonderland!
    Ruth I wish you peace, I wish you joy remembering your sweet memories of Christmases past, I wish you good health and continued blessings throughout the New Year!
    your friend naturegirl xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely photos Ruth. Congrats on Hilary's POTW - Dave

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, wow, beautiful photos. Congrats on POTW!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth