Friday, February 1, 2013

Drifting Snow and Sunset

Two weeks ago some friends called and asked if I wanted to go out for a ride/photography.
Of course my answer was a quick yes.

It was a somewhat blustery day,but in the end resulted in good pictures.
As the sun was slowly setting in the west,I took the opportunity to capture a few images.


Positioning the sun at the edge of the picture,gave me a much richer colour.I liked how you can see the drifting snow on the field. It was as cold as it looks,so needless to say,I didn't want to spend more time out of the vehicle than necessary.


I was busy photographing something else,when I turned around and saw this scene.Framing the sun with some low branches,I got a picture which I really like. Again you can see the drifting snow.


The time of sunset can yield so many varied images,depending on which way one looks.
This to me is a typical,frozen Manitoba winter landscape. Cold,yet beautiful.


A little earlier I captured this scene.The trees standing in the open field,buffeted by the wind,looked like a good photo subject.


I may have used this thought before,but I think it bears repeating:
The day is done,the sun has set,
Yet light still tints the sky;
My heart stands still in reverence,
For God is passing by.

25 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

definitely feel the cold of the north from these!

Ginny said...

Wonderful, wonderful images! I especially love the sun framed by the branches! And the last shot, with the tree way deep in the snow. In the deep mid-winter...

Sinder Ella said...

Love all these great captures!

Dorothy said...

As usuall, your images are wonderful! I felt like I was there and could see the fine snow blowing in the air as the wind swept over the drifts! I adore the quote! Hope you have a happy weekend. ♥

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

These are beautiful photos and they look oh so cold. I think it's cold down here, 53 and feels like it is 49. :-)

Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

Nancy said...

Ruth, you really captured the essence of that day; cold and beautiful.....
The quote is so applicable and comforting...
Have a great weekend, lady...

John's Island said...

Hi Ruth, Hard to say which photo is my favorite ... they are all so good! There really is something special about the open spaces. Great quotation too! As always, thanks for sharing your blog. Hope you have a fine weekend! John

Linda said...

It can be really hard to get depth perception in photos of snow, but you've done it very well with these. That second one, with the orange sky, is my favorite. And the quotation is so beautiful. I don't think I've ever heard it before. Thanks for sharing it.

EG CameraGirl said...

I LOVE these photos, Ruth. You make a cold day looks very appealing.

Debbie said...

brrrr & beautiful!!

Betsy Adams said...

Awesome photos--but it does look cold up there... We are getting snow today also.. We have about 3 inches --and you know me, I LOVE it...

Love your sunset photos--and the one framed with the branches... Terrific.
Hugs,
Betsy

Robin said...

Ruth, what wonderful winter scene! Like you said, cold but beautiful!

Montanagirl said...

Very nice! I really like the photo with the tree branches hanging down into the frame - also the last one: nice wintry tree landscape.

Janice K said...

Wonderful pictures....I really liked the one in your header.

Shelley said...

Just heavenly photos Ruth! The sun looks so big in your second photo. So nice.

Diane said...

You're a brave girl to get out in that weather, Ruth. The photos are breathtaking, especially love the last one. Diane

Happyone said...

Your photos are so beautiful.

Nora at Island Rambles said...

Love that last moody shot Ruth, there is something mystical and artistic about it, less is more thing. You sure do have the snow there. Stay warm and take more pics. cheers.

Gail Dixon (Louisiana Belle) said...

These are so beautiful Ruth! I kept scrolling and going 'ahhh', then the last one made me go WOW. You have good reason to be proud of all these shots. Stay warm!

Riet said...

Wow Ruth, beautiful photo's, mij favorite is the third one but it was hard to. Close. Have a nice week

Shug said...

My favorite is the sun with the branches...just beautiful.
They all are beautiful!! Such a sweet reverence to God for the beauty that surrounds us..

Elaine said...

Just beautiful!!

Hilary said...

I could practically feel the warmth of the sun but I know better.. it's cold. But beautiful.

Willard said...

Stunning winter scenes! We have had nothing close to this here this year, and I don't miss it in one way but in another I miss the opportunity to get good winter scenics.

Valerie said...

The field of snow - almost looks like the ocean with the sun setting behind. So pretty!!