Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Time to Eat

Allow me to tempt you with a little fruit for starters and a special dessert.

Since I am still playing with the new camera,I can't just bring fruit home and leave it t that.
Perhaps my one favourite fruit is Raspberries.We always had several long rows of them in the garden,when I was a child.We spent all morning picking the fruit and then sold it to people who Mom contacted. You would think that after spending so much time picking raspberries I would be tired of them,not so. I still choose them over most other fruit.


Grapes are tasty little snacks as well.These were quite sweet,but also somewhat photogenic.

Because I wash all the fruit,I had the perfect opportunity to capture the water droplets.Grapes and Oranges share the space in the colander.


I liked how the water droplets sparkled in the background.


Fruit is tasty and healthy,but I enjoy my sweets as well.
Here is Kai posing with a piece of her favourite dessert,Granny's White Sheet Cake.
We had just finished baking this,you can still see the mixing bowl and other dishes on the counter.
I'm not sure which is sweeter,Kai or the cake.I'll vote for Kai,for sure.

Just in case you might like to try this treat,here is the recipe.
I might add that I store my recipes on a place called 'Pepperplate'. This is a great free place to store all your recipes. Should anyone be interested the address is: http://www.pepperplate.com
Granny's White Sheet Cake
This is Kai's favourite cake.
CATEGORIES
 cakes

INGREDIENTS

  • Cake

    • 1 cup margarine
    • 1 cup water
    • 2 cups sugar
    • 1/2 tsp.salt
    • 1 tsp. baking soda
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 tsp. vanilla
    • 1/2 cup sour cream
    • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • Frosting

    • 1 cup margarine
    • 6 tbsp.milk
    • 1 tsp.vanilla
    • 1/8 tsp. salt
    • 4 1/2 cup icing sugar,or enough to thicken

INSTRUCTIONS

  • Cake

    1. Melt margarine and water in saucepan.
    2. Remove from heat.
    3. Stir in sugar,flour,salt and baking soda.
    4. Stir with whisk until smooth.
    5. Add eggs and vanilla.
    6. Stir in sour cream and mix until well blended.
    7. Pour into greased 11"x17" cookie sheet.
    8. Bake at 350ºF for 20-25 minutes or until done.
    9. Don't over bake.
  • Frosting

    1. Melt margarine and milk in saucepan.
    2. Bring to a simmer.
    3. Remove from heat.
    4. Stir in icing sugar,vanilla and salt.
    5. Beat until smooth.
    6. Spread on cake

19 comments:

  1. Both the fruit and your granddaughter are beautiful! But alas, these recipe pages are blank, and I can get nothing on the website. Maybe you are still posting, that has happened to me before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love those raspberries too! Quite a few in our family do! My hubby is the grape muncher though!
    Your sweet Kai is such a pretty young lady! Oh, and the recipe's don't show for me - not sure what happened. Sounds yummy, but I don't bake anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your granddaughter is a beautiful young lady. I'm sure she enjoyed that cake. ME? I'd love the fruit. Just seeing the pictures made me hungry..... BUT--it's time for bed.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your grape photos! Fun to experiment. I'll have to check out your recipe site. Your cake recipe is blank, but if Kia couches for it I know it's got to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A real 'sweet'heart you have there Ruth. And the fruit looks almost as sweet.

    As for your recipe, it's there on these pages but your font is white which rather blends in with the white background. To see it, people need only drag the cursor over the page while pressing the left mouse button.

    And yes, hard to imagine that with all that snow you'll be planting in 2 months - but great moisture for the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that cake sounds lovely...but I am so curious about what camera you used to get those magazine type photos....those are really good shots Ruth. The recipe comes out fine now .

    ReplyDelete
  7. the recipe is there for me in case you are wondering. i can relate to the photos of the fruit, oh yes i can. and it is funny you said rasberries are your favorite because black berries are mine for the same reason, we picked wild ones and ate our selves to death. also picked strawberries and i put one in the bucket and one in my mouth. i love all berries, but those two are my favorites. daddy had grape vines and i love them, but not the kind in the store, they were different. i can't think of a fruit i don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kai is very sweet! Nice fruit shots by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what fabulous images of the fruit! The sweets look good, too, but I'm off of them for awhile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love fresh raspberries! try to eat some every morning before coffee! your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look forward to summer because of all the fresh fruit. Especially grapes! Love your photos...so well done...particularly the sparkly diamond bokeh in that one grape photo. Yowzer! Kai is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's might good looking fruit.
    I love raspberries but don't like the seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, too, will vote for Kai as being the sweeter of the two, but the cake does look delicious. I'm continuing to be impressed with your iPhone photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got great shots of the fruit --- the impression is that I could pick a grape and pop it right in my mouth! And that little Kai is a real sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this sounds really good ruth, and your pictures are so "sweet".

    and talk about sweet, kai is just adorable. i love her little dimples!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All that fruit looks so good! I love raspberries, too....and any other fruit! That cake looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your granddaughter is adorable and the cake sounds yummy. But those fruits.. they make my mouth water. How I love raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All that fruit, and the cake, too, look so utterly luscious, Ruth. Kai is a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth