Saturday, May 4, 2013

For The Birds

Or should I have titled this,For The Bird Lovers?
I apologize to those who do not enjoy birds,but for the next little while I will likely be showing more birds than anything else.


A visit to a small local pond was successful as far as pictures are concerned.Here you see two male Common Golden-eye trying hard to impress a female.She seemed uninterested,but it made for good pictures.


This pair of Greater Scaup were oblivious to all the courting going on around them.They had likely already bonded for the season.


Back on my yard,I picked up the Canon SX50 and fired a couple of shots of this Crow,sitting on the neighbours tree.I am satisfied with the results. This is probably the best Crow picture I have ever gotten.


A male Hairy Woodpecker was eyeing the suet,but didn't like my presence.With the Canon SX 50 in hand,I got a nice shot of him. Unfortunately the branches are casting some shadows on him.


I have spent several days at the Pembina Valley,taking part in the Hawkwatch.This is the most common bird we see,a Red-tailed Hawk,but seeing it like this,its wings highlighted by the sun,is always a thrill.

Slowly more migrants are showing up on my yard,so I keep my cameras ready.

Thought for Today:
                                         No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.
                                                                   William Blake

23 comments:

  1. would love to see golden-eye or scaups. the hairy is so cool with his ultra-long beak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Golden Eye courting competition would have been fun to see. That hairy woodpecker shot is a beauty, as is the crow. You're getting great results with your little SX50.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never get tired of your bird pictures, Ruth. I'm, once again, trying to capture a shot of the wood ducks on our creek. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thought for the day. -Certainly some cute golden-eyes and yes, she does seem uninterested. she is simply enjoying her day!! always enjoy seeing your birds.
    Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bird photos, Ruth. It's always fun to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your birds - I consider it a worthwhile and enjoyable travelog - as I don't get out too much to see the beautiful birds in my neck of the woods. Thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring is such a great time to capture the mating rituals, and you've done that well. I'm impressed with what your SX50 is capable of - very nice series !

    btw - I never tire of bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring is such a great time to capture the mating rituals, and you've done that well. I'm impressed with what your SX50 is capable of - very nice series !

    btw - I never tire of bird shots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic crow pic and so is the hairy guy... i have yet to get a decent shot of a crow, black birds are hard to get details. and in this one you did. happy bird hunting

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy seeing he birds; and now that it is warm enough to have doors open and be outside, it is a joy to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, excellent shots! I really like the Goldeneyes!
    Glad all those Manitoba pot holes have finally thawed out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red-tailed hawks are our most common hawk too. Their tails are gorgeous when the light shines on them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you keep your camera handy and glad you continue to post these marvelous pictures. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love coming here and seeing your soft edges of petals on the header. You know I am a birdwatcher, so I am settling in for some fun here!! Crows are hard to snap. They are tame enough, but all that black does not show detail well through the lens. This photo is top notch!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bring on the bird photos! I love them. :)
    Red-tailed Hawks are our most common raptor here as well. They're also the easiest for me to ID so far.
    I would consider myself very lucky if a Hairy Woodpecker showed up in my yard. So far only Downies have visited.

    Happy Birding, Ruth. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the shadows on the woodpecker are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We see the Goldeneye and Lesser Scaup here as well. Your photos are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  18. great images, awesome thought for the day!!

    LOVE the woodpecker, shadows and all!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ruth, I do love your bird photos. Thanks for sharing. John

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can see the golden eye easily. The other photos are great too. Spring is so nice--now I wish it would stop raining.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love birds...glad you have pictures of them

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like the simplicity of the crow against the blue, blue sky, Ruth. All your bird photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome photos...I love birds!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth