Saturday, June 1, 2013

Flowers For June

On this first day of June,I want to share some of my early flowers with you.
We have recently had a lot of rain and some fairly severe flooding in my town,but those pictures will wait for another day.No one has been injured as far as I know and since we live in an area where the water can run off quickly,we will be just fine.


In between rainy days,I took some time to capture some beauty on my yard.
The Marigolds always add a splash of colour.


New leaves hold a special attraction to me.I love the delicate beauty they have and the range of colours that show up on an otherwise green leaf. This is one of the Mountain Ash leaves,isn't it pretty?

Ok,this is not on my yard,but on Jake's Uncle's yard.This sweet couple had invited me to come photograph the birds in their plum tree.The best picture I got that day was of this female Baltimore Oriole. The tree was loaded with flowers,but I think all the rain we have had since that day may have kept the fruit from setting.I guess we will see as the summer progresses.


Back on my yard,my potted plants are beginning to show signs of growth.
This is a small flower,no larger than half an inch across.The tailing vine is called Bacopa and in summer it is covered with these white flowers.Now all I can do is hope that mine will perform like that.I will be sure to keep you posted.


Finally,here is a macro of one of the Geranium flowers.I really like the two-toned colours of this one.

With all the rain we have had,my plants are definitely wet enough,now all they need is some heat to really begin growing well.

The Oriole shot was taken with the Canon 7D,100-400mm lens,all others were taken using the Canon SX50,on macro setting.


Thought for today:
Ten thousand leaves on every tree,and yet there be men who question God.
Joaquin Miller

31 comments:

  1. That bird looks like she is in deep thought:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The oriole nestled in the flowers is such a sweet shot. Hope you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers, I especially love the Oriole!! Have yourself a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous blooms! And I LOVE your thought for the day! How can anyone not believe in God?? All we have to do is look around us!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, Ruth! Love the bird in the plum tree and the new leaves of the Mountain Ash tree!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like that last quote. so true. and the ash leaf is gorgeous.. to bad that sweet little golden bird was not sitting on the golden ash. these are all beautiful and say spring and also say God is Good and Great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all beautiful, but the oriole amid the plum tree blossoms is special. Nice of Jake's uncle to think of you and your love of photography on this occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful June flowers/colors, Ruth.. My favorite today is the ORIOLE... It's great to get a bird and some beautiful flowers all in the same photo. Wow!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. very pretty - yes, especially the oriole in the blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've gotten the month of June off to a wonderful start with these beautiful blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bird in the tree blooms- nice shot. I also love the thought for the day- so true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely flowers Ruth.I am sure there will be fruit enough even with the rain, there is so much blossom. Beautiful shot of the oriole. We too are getting heaps of rain but our temperatures are dropping day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great captures....i have a few of those friends as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely flowers you have Ruth. I love the photo of the Oriole. Your photography is always wonderful.

    May you get some warmth and have many blooms.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, lovely shots! I like you love the flowers of spring and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you didn't get any damage, Ruth. The pictures are so pretty, I love the Baltimore Oriole against the blossoms - just perfect. But the geranium in the last shot is just warms my heart. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ruth Well you have got us off to a ggreat photographic June with a wonderful Oriole shot adn I love the quote at the end. Very true adn I was saying the same thing to a friend just today. Have a great weekend. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ruth Well you have got us off to a ggreat photographic June with a wonderful Oriole shot adn I love the quote at the end. Very true adn I was saying the same thing to a friend just today. Have a great weekend. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Geranium is beautiful, but I love the sweet Oriole on the pretty white flowers, and the beautiful leaf!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous photos. I love the one with the bird amongst the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey there Ruth...

    It doesn't matter if it's flowers, birds, snow, or anything else....your pictures are always so good and always so clear. Sure love that bright yellow flower at the top...
    Blessings.
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  22. All your photos are a joy to behold! Thanks for sharing them. Love the Oriole!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely shots of the your flowers. I absolutely love the bird photo. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a pretty way to begin June...I really like the splash of color...and delicate leaves growing are so nice to see

    ReplyDelete
  25. We're going to be close to freezing tonight so I haven't set any flowers out yet. These are so fun to see.

    ReplyDelete
  26. #1 Oriole in the plum tree -- my Fave

    #2 Mountain Ash leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm amazed by the photo of the bacopa! Oh, I do hope the rain hasn't spoiled the fruit crop!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So very pretty. I think my favorite is the one with the bird in the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful, Ruth. I really love the oriole in the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful spring flowers! I hope the bees were able to pollinate the plum tree's blossoms. We own some almond orchards, and we always hope it doesn't rain too much in late February through early March which is when the blossoms come out and the bees are supposed to do their thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth