Sunday, June 30, 2013

He Hideth My Soul

I took you through the Pembina Valley in very early spring,so now its time to take another drive.
Everything is lush and green.Just past this curve is where a lot of the spring Hawk Watch takes place.
By now,I am sure that many smaller birds are busy feeding their young.


We make a short stop at the Pembina River.It is still quite full,since we have had so much rain this year.
Apparently there are even fish in this river,but since that is not something I pursue,I cannot verify that.


As we leave the river we head in a northward direction and follow the road up and out of the valley.


In another part of this valley stands this old,falling down barn.SInce I first became aware of it about three years ago,it has really deteriorated.I think it still makes a great picture.


The Pembina River snakes it's way through this area,and at another spot where the road crosses the river,I stopped to see what I could find.
I saw an old tree at the edge of the river and thought it might make a good picture.
Well,when I looked through the camera,I noticed that a small plant was sheltered in the knot of this tree.

 When I saw this,I immediately thought about the old song,written by Fanny Crosby,He Hideth My Soul. I know this is not a rock but it is still a sheltered spot.
Here are the words to the first verse and the chorus of this song.


A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord,
A wonderful Savior to me;
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
Where rivers of pleasure I see.

Chorus:
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the rock,
That shadows a dry thirsty land;
He hideth my life in the depths of His love,
And covers me there with His hand,
And covers me there with His hand.


33 comments:

  1. Hi There, I love that old hymn by Fanny Crosby..... AND--your photos are awesome. Things look so pretty and green up there. Bet you are glad to have something to photograph besides snow.... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful!!! Fanny sure write a lot of great hymns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and such a beautiful reminder of a great promise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that hidden plant nook is great. love the lush green in these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos to go with a beautiful hymn. I'm a huge fan of Fanny Crosby's many hymns. The Pembina Valley looks so different in summer...so lush and green...and the river adds to the scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful old hymn, Ruth. Thanks so much for the tour of the Pembina Valley. The tree knot sheltering the tiny plant makes a wonderful picture. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the first shot of the valley, and the old barn slowly sinking into the ground. The last shot of the old tree supporting new life is wonderful, and it makes for a great illustration for the song.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ruth! Today I really needed to be reminded that HE shelters me like a seedling in the cleft of the rock or a tree-stump. Nothing can harm me when my Lord takes care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that poor barn, it looks like it is just sinking into the ground!! I love your beautiful new header.

    ReplyDelete
  10. another old hymn that daddy and I used to sing when I was a teen.. i love the plant in the knot hole..and that poor old collapsing barn is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful post Ruth. Your photo's are stunning and I love the verse. Have a nice week

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely, uplifting post this morning Ruth. I went to you-tube to find the old hymn and sang along with it even with my froggy voice. (I've got a summer cold.)

    It is gray, wet and humid here. Your countryside is just beautiful.

    Hope your day is a great one.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great capture of the plant growing in the tree! And it's sad to see the barn crumbling...but it does make an interesting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ruth... Beautiful country side,all lush and green!!
    Sad, but I do love the old barn it happens a lot now that the farmer can't make a go of the farm!!
    Perfect hymn to go with the shot of the plant in the knot hole !!
    I love that song, but not often are the oldies sung at our church anymore!!
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  15. Summer is so lush and green. Ruth, I don't know of a river in Canada that has no fish.
    Love the sheltering tree, even in death we give comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That hymn is a perfect commentary on the plant in the old tree. Your valley is as beautiful now as it was earlier in the year. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fanny was a great hymn writer and you have illustrated that verse well with the little plant in the tree. great shots. Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, thanks for the trip down memory lane! I don't think Manitoba in summer can be beaten. (Cept for the skeeters!)
    Such a lush green valley!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great picture of the old log and the little plant inside the knot. It found a special place to call it's home. wonderful pictures Ruth...everything is so pretty and green..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos, Ruth. Love that hymn. That old barn is a treasure, soon to be no more. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post! How nice to see things so lush and green after seeing all your snow last winter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ruth, you have captured such beauty in God's creation...I love that old hymn.....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful scenery! Looks a lot like western Md where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful hymn, ruth. and what great photos you paired with it. love the lush green and the scenery!
    fabulous!

    wish you a happy and safe 4th of july!

    big hugs~
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  25. A Beautiful Post Ruth!!

    Happy 4th of July!!

    http://thesunriseofmylife.blogspot.com/2013/07/old-glory.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like the barn photo...amazing when we can find beauty even in an old barn. The tree knot is so neat, yes good thought about the way He shelters us

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful! I love the song and the photo. The barn is great, too, even in its fallen state.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love that little plant hiding in the knot and the words to the song. Very observant!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Ruth, Wow, it is so green there in the Pembina Valley. Sure looks like you're having a wonderful summer. Always enjoy your photos as we go along on your journeys. This is the kind of photography that I like to do so I sure enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your kind comments. Looking forward to your next post, John

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth