Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Leo Mol Sculpture Garden

As many of you know,I love visiting The English Gardens in Winnipeg.I have shown an occasional sculpture in this garden,but today I dedicate the whole post to Leo Mol sculptures.
I apologize for the number of pictures,but felt that since this is not my normal subject to post,I wanted them all in one post.I do hope you at least give these sculptures a passing glance.I will not be commenting on all of them,as I really don't have much info about the individual pieces.

Leonid Molodoshanin,known as Leo Mol,9January 15,1915-July 4,2009) was a Ukranian Canandian standee glass artist and sculpture.


I like the playful bears.

Following the German invasion of the Soviet Union he moved to Germany where he was influenced by Arno Breker. In 1945,he moved to The Hague,and in December,1948,he and his wife,Margareth,immigrated to Winnipeg,Manitoba.In 1949,he held his first ceramics exhibition in Winnipeg.



Mol was known for his sculptures of square dancers,skiers,aboriginals,and wildlife. mol also completed more than 80 stained-glass windows in churches throughout Winnipeg.





More than three hundred of Mol's works are displayed in the 1.2 hectare Leo Mol Sculpture Garden in Winnipeg's Assiniboine Park which comprises of a gallery,a renovated studio and an outdoor display.The garden was unveiled in June 18,1992 and has been expanded twice since.It is supported by donations,and Mol personally donated 200 bronze sculptures to the city of Winnipeg. The sculptures are of religious leaders,prominent people,the human form and wildlife.



This is a close-up of the deer in the above picture.






From the signs at this piece,it is supposed to depict Moses giving the Ten Commandments.



A sculpture similar to this one,also done by Leo Mol,stand downtown in Morden,my hometown.


I think this may be one of my favourites.

That's it folks. I hope you enjoyed walking through these gardens with me.Not all the sculptures are ones that are my taste,but they are on display there,because someone obviously liked them.
Next time I will be back to my usual nature pictures.

31 comments:

  1. Gorgeous sculptures, Ruth... I love the Moses one --but the ones with animals (bears, deer, etc.) are AWESOME... What a fabulous talent someone had... Wow!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very talented and versatile artist. Thank you for sharing this beautiful post with us. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is very talented, and the wild boar and babies is my favorite one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth - the Altona Art Gallery, just north of the park in the NW section of Altona also has one or more of Leo Mol's Sculpture's, (bears) and I believe there is also still one at Friesen Printers, who printed one of his art books many years ago.If you've never been to the Gallery in the Park (both outside sculputres and display, as well as artwork displayed inside the old house - it's worth the trip!
    http://www.galleryinthepark.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really enjoyed seeing his different works. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the pictures! I love sculpture gardens, much more interesting than sculptures in museums. What a diverse body of work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love them ALL, the ballet dancer is my favorite, the family at number 2 and the bears at 3... these are wonderful. the one with the lady on the bull, we have one like it at Ringling museum, same but different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Each of them is so unique. I'm guessing that my favorite ones would have to be those of the playful bears...so cute! This sure looks like a very interesting place to visit! Have a wonderful day! stay cool...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful sculptures. Thank you for sharing.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. How neat these sculptures are. I really liked the bears. They are adorable and the ballerina is ever so beautiful and graceful. I would love to visit that place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the wildlife, but actually am drawn to his human sculptures even more. i think they are so lifelike and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was one talented man and I am amazed at all he was able to accomplish in his life time.....

    These are wonderful and I am so glad you shared them as I am not familiar with his work.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed seeing all the sculptures. There's varying tastes there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you did this post, Ruth. My cousin-in-law is a sculptress, and I've learned to appreciate the intricate details that she puts into her work. So I can perhaps more fully appreciate these that you've shown us than I otherwise would have. They're all wonderfully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow Ruth....these are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Ruth You have given us a wonderfully illustrated post of Mol scultures and I do not know why you are apoligising as I saw bears, boar, deer and bull, all very realistically featured. There are some I like better than others but none I coud not live with. He certainly was a great sculture adn a generous man to have donated so many to Winnepeg. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for showing these sculptures. I think they are all very well done, but I especially like his sculptures of playful animals. The sculpture of Moses is pretty awesome as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing. There is such detail in his work. Certainly a very talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ruth, it's definitely a wonderful life work! I always enjoyed them. Thanks for showing them. Nice to see them again! Lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful, unusual place!! Gorgeous expressions of the beautiful art!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pretty and very interesting, Ruth my favorite is the Ballerina!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh they are fabulous. I can't pick a favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Ruth all this sculptures are beautiful.how wonderful to be able to see all those. And your photo''s are the best to show us.
    Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are wonderful! I love stuff like this, so show all you want! What a great place to visit and such great subject matter and variety. Love all the animals, but like the others, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, what a prolific, and talented, artist ! Wonderful sculptures and thanks for sharing. I'm a little partial to De Zaaier (being a Dutch immigrant also).

    ReplyDelete
  26. Quite an impressive body of work!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Quite an impressive body of work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think Mol's work is amazing and would LOVE to see his sculptures for myself. Your photos are wonderful, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fascinating sculptures- love the bears & Moses!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pictures and very well photographed.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you Ruth for sharing these! I've never been back to this park since hubby and I left Winnipeg in 1966. Now I'm thinking - look at what I've missed! We've visited Winnipeg often but usually spent all of our time with our families! These would be wonderful to see in person. Maybe I'll have to take another trip there and make time for the park! It's hard to pick a favorite!! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth