Monday, September 30, 2013

Fall In Manitoba

Fall is fully upon us.Many flowers have finished blooming.
In a pasture I found these thistles,which were still a source of food for several insects.

This particular flower was the busiest one,with five bees and some sort of moth all feeding at the same time.


In one corner of my deck the Mums are putting on a bright display of colour. I like having a few pots of Mums around in fall,as these flowers keep on blooming right into the time of frost.

This was taken about two weeks ago and the leaves were just beginning to change colour.
This is the road which goes into the Pembina Valley and along which the spring Hawkwatch takes place.


At the bottom of the valley is the Pembina River and you all know what I have to do when I see water. I have to get some reflection shots.


Here is another part of the Pembina Valley,a few miles from the other place.
This is a fairly steep drop into the valley basin. The valley is much wider in this area and thus has a different beauty about it.

I love the Pembina Valley area.It has so much beauty in it,Yes,I know,it does not have the gorgeous mountains or tumbling water falls,but rather a more subdued beauty.
I would love to travel to faraway places,but since that is not likely to happen anytime soon,I will find beauty close to home.
I read a thought today,written by Henry Ward Beecher,which puts it so well.

If you can eat today,enjoy the sunlight today,
mix good cheer with friends today,enjoy it and bless God for it.

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful displays as expected Ruth. I so love your views of Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, these are beautiful shots...I love the reflections and all the critters feasting on the thistle....
    You certainly take us on some beautiful rides....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always enjoy the beauty of your countryside. That is such an apt quote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your photos and the way you put them together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there's always beauty to be found close to home - and you found it. Especially love your colourful mums ! Excellent quote !

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is one busy thistle! The mum is wonderful...such brilliant color. And your Pembina Valley certainly has its own beauty, captured so well by your camera. Love the new header, but I kind of miss the picture of you among the trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The valley has it's own beauty, soft and subtle. I love the thistle - what a busy flower. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, ganz fantastische Fotografien, mein Kompliment liebe Ruth...

    Grüsse aus der Schweiz

    Hans-Peter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your header, it is the colors of fall, and also the colors of Halloween! And your mums just jump right off the page. You have some kind of uncanny ability to do this with photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the beautiful scenes around your home, the ones in this post as well as the last one. While I enjoy traveling and seeing the beauty in other places, I think the beauty close to home is the best, just because we have more leisure to stop and enjoy it and let it seep into our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such pretty territory! love the thistle with all the bees on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. No use hankering after that which is out of our reach, I too have had to rein in my dreams and enjoy the near at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that first photo is amazing. i love all the residents on that flower.. a great capture. and the colors of your mums are just gorgeous. I love subdued views and these are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a lot of beautiful scenery around there, and you did it justice with your photos. I love the "Busy Bee Cafe" in your first picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love seeing pictures you take of the Pembina Valley, and you capture reflections so marvelously. Your Mums are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet to see all the Insects sharing the thistle. You do live in a beautiful area. Good that you realize and enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI A lovely post with marvellous scenery adn I love the thistle with the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, Wonderful images! I think Manitoba's beauty would stand up to anywhere! Your valley is a special place. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Ruth, Great set of photos.. You need to go back to Pembina Valley after the leaves change and show us more pictures....

    We saw lots of wildflowers on our trip --including thistles (like your photo).

    Hope you are doing GREAT.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fall really is a beautiful time of the year ... almost my favourite time. Love the coolness, hardly any bugs. Ahhh, if only it would last longer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely series of pictures . The fall colors are slowing beginning to appear. Love the vivid colors of the flowers :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree that you have much beauty there. Beauty doesn't have to be "spectacular" to be beauty....it just has to be pleasing to the eye of the beholder. Very beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth