Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dreaming of Spring

Once again I am sharing iPhone shots,so keep that in mind.The phone takes great pictures,but can just not compare with a good DSLR.

It is March 1,and by the calendar it should soon be spring,but when I look at the thermometer,it does not feel or look like it.Right now my thermometer shows -26C or -14.8 F.Either way that is cold.

I have been dreaming about spring and the first event that happens and is actually underway right now,is the annual Hawkwatch at the Pembina Valley.
So far the numbers are very low,but as soon as those temperatures moderate,I am sure the activity will pick up.
Here are a few shots taken in 2013.Looking at them,makes  me long for this time even more.

You can see that the early stages of this event are not for the faint of heart.There is still snow on the ground and any wind makes it feel very cold. It may be cold but the friendships and fellowship are warm and makes one want to go back time and again.



Given a little more time and the snow is gone and the weather is much more enjoyable.
You can see by the short sleeves that it must be a pleasant day.Notice also the blue of the sky,that is mostly a good thing. Sometimes it seems that on a clear day the birds fly much higher than on cloudy days.


Spring will come as it always does.I am waiting for the time when the ice will have melted and I can again get pictures similar to this.


With the warmer weather the variety of birds increases.Hopefully it won't be too long before I can head to Winnipeg again and have a photo shoot with the Canada Geese.


It's not all about birds and cameras in spring.Suddenly I realize just how dirty my windows look.
Steve is so gracious as to clean them for me when I ask.It takes him a lot less time and the windows are nice and clean.Kai just likes to enjoy the warm spring days and run around without heavy boots and jackets. You may have noticed some marks on her face.She had  her face painted at some party.


As I wait for the warm spring weather I need to remind myself of the following:
Do not anticipate trouble,or worry about what may never happen.
Keep in the sunlight.
Benjamin Franklin

28 comments:

  1. i bet you all get some stiff necks looking up into the sky, some days! love the reflection shot! lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not the only one looking forward to Spring. I like the wide variety of Spring events you have to look forward to enjoying. I'm still impressed with the quality of the photos you get with your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want Spring to get here, too, but I will miss your great snow pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter is returning around here tomorrow....Could have easily gotten a great sun tan today and tomorrow we will need plenty of jackets and coats.... Ready for Spring...
    Shug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep dreaming, Ruth...spring really will get here :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the eagle in your header, Ruth. It does look like a fun fellowship of birders there at Pembina Valley during the migration. I enjoyed the photos from last year, especially the one with the water and reflections. Hope you'll soon be able to be out there again with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kevättä meilläkin aloittelee...
    Lunta kovin paljon.
    Lämmitä - se sen sulattaa...
    Terveisin Eko
    Suomi/Lapland/Kuusamo

    ReplyDelete
  8. amen to keeping in the sunlight quote. and wish he were here to clean my windows. i either have to nag nag nag or do it myself. but mine are closer to the ground.
    love that reflection of the tree in the pond

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep the sunlight in your heart and all is well.

    Cleaning windows? Ummmm, just how gracious is Steve? Does he know how to get to my house then?

    Love the lake photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hawk Watch is something to look forward to. Spring hasn't sprung here as yet. It's minus 15 F. this morning. And we still have snow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. often it's just about recording life and special moments in our day. the pictures don't need to have the best quality.

    i enjoyed these moments ruth have a fun sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awaiting spring here, too, but it will be another 6-8 weeks. Enjoyed the signs of spring in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet of Steve to clean you windows. I'm so longing for spring too. Not because of snow (we've been blessed not to have much at all here) but because of the bursting blossoms and birds that are starting to sing!! I get a goofy grin when I notice things like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth, it's snowing here again this weekend! I'm really ready for Spring too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, We are home from a wonderful trip to Arkansas with friends. Photos tomorrow!!!!!

    Hope you have had a great week. Hope we ALL get some spring soon. We are supposed to get more winter stuff this week.. Yuk! ha

    You have a wonderful son. How nice of him to wash your windows for you... Maybe he'll come and wash ours!!!! Ya think???? ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sounds like spring fever, just like the rest of us. Last night the wind chill made it -34. It's hard to still enjoy the cold and snow but we try, don't we, with our cameras. Nice spring reminders. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm finally tired of winter too and look forward to spring. Snowing again like crazy here today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the header shot of the soaring eagle, Ruth! I'm like everyone else and really looking forward to spring. The Hawk Watch sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice shots Ruth, everybody dream of spring now, greting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your banner Ruth! I'm anxiously awaiting Spring too...looks like you've had a few warmer days than I've had here. Hope you are doing well...I've finally retired and I'm loving it! BTW...that camera on your phone takes pretty good photos:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kai is so precious. I know she was as excited as you to get a glimpse of spring weather. Not much longer and it will warm our bodies and souls. We are in for another cold blast and although it's not as bad as your cold, we are simply not used to this at all. Love your iphone shots. It does a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't heard of any hawks returning to central Ontario yet. How good of Steve to help you clean windows!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am officially sick of winter! Usually by March we have much nicer and warmer days! So happy that your son washes your windows and your little sweetheart is enjoying the spring days! Have fun going on all those wonderful photo shoot trips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the eagle shot in your header! Spring always does roll around, but usually not soon enough to suit us. We've still got a ways to go here, and what the calendar says is the first day of spring definitely isn't. I really don't want spring to come just yet though. We've got the ice sculptures to keep us entertained, and they don't do too well when it gets above freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh I feel your longing for spring! Nice he washed your window too

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am counting the days until spring too. And do we need to wash the windows...I have been trying to take pictures through the smudges!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These warm days in between the cold spells help a lot. It is just two weeks to spring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth