Friday, March 28, 2014

Migration Begins

It may not feel a lot like spring,but the birds are slowly returning to their nesting territories.

The Raptors may not nest in this area,for the most part,but they pass through here and that makes for some exciting sightings.
I spent almost an hour this morning photographing Eagles,Hawks and a Magpie.

This is not a great picture of a Bald Eagle,but they were sitting in the trees like this at various spots.


Rough-legged Hawks are also migrating through right now and one of them gave some great opportunities for photos. This picture is not cropped at all. I love the beautiful patterns and colours it displays.


Another picture that has not been cropped.Using the 400mm lens,I was not able to get the whole bird in the picture when it took off. I like how the wings and tail are lit up by the morning sun.


I have had very few chances for decent Black-billed Magpie pictures and mostly they have been in flight.Today was my lucky day,as one of them landed on this fence post and allowed me to shoot several pictures.


Last but not least,a Red-tailed Hawk in a clear blue sky is one of those sights that I never tire of seeing. I would have preferred to have this one a little closer,but the birds don't seem to care if I get good pictures or not.


I love getting the pictures of the birds,but what is equally as good is the time spent in nature and the visits with my birding friends.When the birds don't show up,there is always good conversation and fun times.

I found this quote in a calendar entitled 'The Beauty of Friendship', I think it speaks to what I experience at the Hawk Watch,as I visit with my friends.Each person I meet touches my life in some way.

No love,no friendship can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever.

25 comments:

  1. loved all of your sightings! that take-off shot is just wonderful - soft colors, beautifully lit feathers. and i loved the quote, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never get tired of looking at your wonderful pictures of these magnificent birds. The photo of the bird lit by the sun is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth...Love your shot of the Eagle, what a great puzzle that would make : )!! A real stumper !!
    What a awesome day you had!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos, Ruth.. I can imagine how exciting it must be during migrating season.. That 2nd photo of the hawk with that blue sky is fabulous.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorites have to be the magpie and the hawk with the sun on it's wings and tail...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anytime I can get a decent shot of an eagle, I'm happy. Yours is very nice. The rough-legged hawk image is spectacular! Great crisp shot of the magpie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful blog - I love your pictures - I always find it quite a challenge to get a good shot of a bird - it is camera club for us next week and the sucject is Signs - I am going to try and join your followers I hope that is OK - Jane UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great Magpie shot. I have trouble getting close enough to one of them for a decent shot. I like the Eagle in your Header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.... Ruth, you always get such nice pictures of birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful for you to see all of those beautiful birds. Your photos are great.

    Have a lovely weekend dear Ruth.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love those back lit wings.. awesome shot.. and the with his wings up over his head ..love the eagle in the header

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth, what an exciting time! All those raptors! Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You saw some great birds. Great photos!!

    I hear lots a birds chirping in the mornings when I'm out on my morning walks now. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like such a fun outing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You got some great pictures of such marvelous birds. We just returned from a trip to St. Louis, and I saw lots of hawks sitting on fence posts along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Incredibly beautiful photos Ruth!!! I too agree, love the sunlight behind the wings and tail as it takes off for 'greener pastures' and maybe some breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruth, these are wonderful shots of these beautiful birds. I saw a blue herring this week in the neighbor's pond and didn't have my camera! I am hoping he sticks around so I can get a photo. Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ruth. Fantastic shots of these birds especially the ones in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know you've been looking forward to this all winter. You were rewarded with some beautiful shot. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. the magpie looks like it is singing!!

    i adore those hawk images as well, the lighting is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ruth, all of these shots are phenomenal! I also love how the wings are backlit on the hawk--wow. And that magpie is just perfection. I've only seen that bird once and it was in Oregon. So it may be awhile before I see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Ruth, all those beautiful and special birds for you there to photograph. We don't see them over here.

    Have a nice week.!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love how the sun makes the lower feathers on the hawk seem to be iridescent. Such a beautiful sight...I certainly do appreciate our friendship...
    hugs
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love seeing the birds especially the bald eagle. The light showing up the feathers in that pic is so pretty too.
    Like that thought, friendships

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth