Friday, April 25, 2014

MORE BIRDS

To those who don't love birds,I say,I'm sorry,but this is what gets me excited these days.
I love birds and spring is the time for the large birds of prey and others to  show up.

I will start with something other than birds. While waiting for more low flying raptors,these old tree stumps caught my eye.Nothing exciting but to a photographer even this can be beautiful.


And we move on to the subject at hand,birds.
On Easter Sunday we had numerous Broad-winged Hawks come through. This is a magnificent bird with beautiful patterns in the tail.  The Broad-winged hawks are part of the larger family known as Buteos.The Buteos are chunkier with broader wings and a rounded tail.


Seeing a Peregrine Falcon is always cause for excitement. On Sunday we had 11 of these swift flyers pass overhead. Most of them streaked through,giving very few chances for a picture,but this one took his time and allowed me to get several shots. I have still had to crop this image,but that distinctive Peregrine shape is unmistakable.Those sharply pointed wings are a great way to identify this bird,of course if you look closely you can see those distinguishing facial markings.


Back in the Buteo family,this Swainson's Hawk is equally as lovely.I love the coloration of this Hawk. It looks like it is wearing a rufus coloured bib.


Not all birds are Raptors. This pair of American White Pelicans made for a great picture.


And not all birds are equally beautiful. The Turkey Vulture will win no prizes for facial beauty,but they are gorgeous in flight. I love those two-toned wings.The lighter part almost glows silver when the light hits it just right.

I trust that each one will take the time to enjoy the beauty of nature. It is free and most likely readily available wherever you are.
Have a beautiful weekend and don't forget to really 'see' the beauty God has created for us to enjoy.

20 comments:

  1. the variety of raptors you get to see is delightful! really neat to see the forms and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shots are truly elegant and beautiful.

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will remember about the pointed wings! My absolute fav is the pelicans! What a wonderful surprise. But I also love the branches. Did you color or edit them? Because it is really a beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely beautiful.....amazing how they soar with such grace. Enjoyed the pictures...
    have a good weekend..
    shug

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been successful with bird photography so I REALLY appreciate your gorgeous photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your bird photo's very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos, Ruth! You get to see quite a variety of Raptors. We get Turkey Vultures roosting right in town a block away from house at night.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how neat... I can 'feel' your excitement when seeing all of those wonderful birds... I'd love to see a Peregrine Falcon sometime. There is a big 'nesting' place in North Carolina for them --but it is protected--and we couldn't get close when we were there.

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, post all the birds you want! That's fine with me. This time of year is so exciting. I love all the raptors you are seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would like to see a falcon, I have only seen them in captivity... love those pelicans and the vultures is pretty while in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post, I really enjoyed this. God has blessed us with so much beauty. We only need to slow down a bit to notice all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see pelicans like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures! I mostly see Turkey Vultures here with an occasional Blue Heron or Hawk. I love watching the Turkey Vultures float and soar through the air. They certainly know how to have a good time riding the air currents.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing some more great pictures of the birds you've photographed. Your verbal descriptions are as enjoyable (and educational) as the photos themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, I know what you mean by Spring and Birds!
    What a wonderful variety of raptors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are marvelous shots, Ruth. I love birds and all of nature. I fail to see how anyone could not appreciate such beauty! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in love with birds lately. Saw an eagle close up the other day with Mom. It wasn't fully grown yet....but still amazingly beautiful. Keep the bird shots coming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Ruth Although I did like the 1st shot with lovely textures, I prefer all these wonderful birds that you have photographed so well in flight. great selection and you are so fortunate to see all these birds passing through. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ruth, you get such great bird shots. I really enjoy them (I'm envious :) )

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are really beautiful pictures . When you’re composing your close-up bird shot, the background is extremely important for ensuring an effective photo.


    Regards Tim

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth