Thursday, April 3, 2014

Waiting For Sunset

Last night,April 2,my sister and I decided to go for a ride. OK,so I decided and I asked her to come along. I thought that perhaps it might be a good evening for a pretty sunset,so off we went,out of town.
I had only taken my Canon SX50,since I was going to take sunset pictures and I knew it would do well with that.Lesson learned,I think.Always take the camera with the telephoto lens as well.


 Driving along a country road I saw this Rough-legged Hawk sitting on a pole.It was on the wrong side of the road for me to take a picture from the car,so I was quite certain there would be no pictures of this one.Well,this bird surprised me.I got out of the car,walked to the edge of the road and started firing pictures with my little camera.The hawk seemed totally unconcerned about my presence.This picture has not been cropped,so you can see that the SX50 does a good job of telephoto shooting.


Still waiting for the sun to set,I found a spot along a mostly unused road parked the car.No sooner had I stopped,when I saw the pretty ice formations in the roadside ditch.So what's a photographer to do,but take pictures of whatever is available.


Here is another picture of the icy water in the ditch.I like the patterns created by the ice.


Finally the sun slipped down to the horizon.I was glad I had followed my instincts,because it was a very pretty sunset indeed.I do have more pictures of this and they may show up on the blog at another time.


Today,April 3rd,we woke up to a fresh layer of snow on the ground.I was not going to let that spoil my outlook on things.I drove out again,this time hoping to see some eagles or hawks.I did see several of both species,but none of them wanted to have their picture taken,so I got this one of the snow covered trees. I always think that a light layer of snow like this makes the trees look like a lacy design.


No eagles on this post,but I found this little bit of information of interest.
God gave eagles the best eyesight of any animal on earth.
Their vision is five times sharper than our own,enabling them to see an animal as small as a rabbit from a mile away.

21 comments:

  1. a beautiful hawk - nice of him to sit still for you. :) glad you went to see the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely had the correct camera with you. The photo of the hawk is fantastic, but I like the ice as well. I hope to see more of your sunset pictures in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great capture of the hawk, Ruth. Beautiful sunset, too.
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did exactly what you set out to do.. collect some wonderful photos. That hawk image is wonderful and so are the icy ditch water and sunset images. I love how you see your world. I suspect you have a bit of that eagle in you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how much you can find to photograph when you take your camera out for a ride at sunset. Well done, Ruth.

    FYI: I have the same point and shoot and find it very handy when I don't want to carry my DSLR. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  6. i sure would like to have Eagle eyes.. mine are getting worse and worse. love the ice designs and that beautiful lacy tree...you little camera did a fantastic zoom of the hawk. if take one camera i need the other, if i take the Rebel and leave one lens home, the lens i left is the one i need.. murphy's law

    ReplyDelete
  7. That hawk in your header with the light shining through its wings is so awesome.

    I hear we could have a little more snow tomorrow morning too. Right now we have really deep fog, but it's warming up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sunset - and I've always love the Eagles. Your Hawk photos turned out really well! Oh, and your Header is just top notch!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Ruth Fantastic shot of the Hawk and wonderful sunset shot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruth,

    You know -- the sight of ice usually scares me. Perhaps I should look at differently as a pretty part of winter. Lovely photos of it.

    Yay, spring is coming!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a beautiful set of images, Ruth. The SX50 did a marvelous job with the hawk, and the sunset is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been playing with my newly purchased SX50 and I have to say I am quite surprised. I think it's going to be great for kayaking, or even just a quick walk around the neighborhood when I don't want to lug the big gear. Your shot of the hawk proves that. Nice shots of the ice, too. Sorry for more snow, but hopefully we're at the end of this atrocious winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. spectacular sunset...you were so right to feel a good one coming.

    And the hawk...that too, stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth, great images! I think it's about time that white stuff made it's exit for the seasons ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great shot of the hawk. Amazing about their eyesight.
    Oh no more snow. : ) It has to end sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oohhhh you sound a lot like me!! i usually "trick" the hubs about riding in the car!!

    timing everything just perfectly with what i want to see. i sure do wish i could drive but he is great company!!

    gorgeous hawk!!

    have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh...love that sunset! The ice formations pics are really cool too...pun intended :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That certainly is a nice close up of the hawk. The snow pictures are pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi again Ruth...just wanted to stop by and thank you for stopping by to visit with me at I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ruth. Sending this from my new iPhone. I always enjoy your photos. The sun is marvelous. Love that bird too. Hugs Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth