Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Welcome April !


Sunday March 30th,was a chilly,mostly overcast day,but that was not going to stop me from heading to the Pembina Valley and the Hawk Watch going on there. The numbers have been low so far,but it has also been colder than normal. Having said that,birds are coming through and excitement is building.


This is not the moon,but rather a shot of the sun through the clouds on Sunday afternoon.
I share this simply to show you how cloudy it was.We later had a few breaks in the clouds and at just the right time.


Everyone,from professional birders to those who just enjoy watching the birds,gets excited when a Bald Eagle comes through.I said the clouds parted at just the right time. I love that blue behind the bird.



One Bald Eagle is good,two are even better.These two seemed to be a pair and were putting on a display for us.

Two Bald Eagles bring excitement but seeing four in the sky at once is  a moment to remember.


The highlight of the day came in a bird that was much too high for good pictures,but the four photographers who were there were busy firing one shot after the other.
This bird doesn't look that special and too some of you from the south it may not be,BUT,seeing a Black Vulture pass through the Pembina Valley,some 1500 miles out of its range,THAT IS EXCITING!!!!
This is one of only a couple of sightings of the Black Vulture in Manitoba,so excitement ran very high.I am so thankful that I was there to witness this moment and also get a few poor shots.
This bird normally is a resident of much of the southeastern states,from Texas to New York and Connecticut and southern Arizona.What a special moment that was!


On my way home that afternoon I had a super opportunity to get pictures of a male Northern Harrier.This is one of those birds that has eluded my camera for too long. I am very pleased with this un-cropped image which I got.


I think I can safely say that March 30th was a successful day for me.I had already received blessings during the morning church service and now all these amazing photo opportunities. I could do nothing more than to say Thank-you to my Lord Jesus for showering me with blessings on this day,because He owns the birds and directs their paths.

Psalm 50:10-11
For every animal of the forest is mine,
and the cattle on a thousand hills.
I know every bird in the mountains,
and the insects in the fields are mine.

26 comments:

  1. #1000gifts!!! I think my favorite is the Northern Harrier. What a great capture, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a successful day and the harrier is my favorite because i have never seen one and because of the way its wings are up. i did think that was the moon... cool shot of the hot sun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos and a great new banner. The light through their wings is striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that the clouds parted in time for you to get these pictures of the Bald Eagles. Four eagles at one time is amazing. Your picture of the Northern Harrier is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to get a good photo of the 'grey ghost', but you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What awesome shots! And, yes, I would have guessed that was the moon :) What a wonderful experience to be able to see all of those bald eagles! The black vultures, I see quite a lot. Almost weekly, I catch a glimpse of a lost seagull or two...almost 200 miles away from the shore. So glad your trip paid off with such marvelous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the harrier is awesome! so is that gloomy sun photo! glad you got to spot the black vulture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bird photos, especially the Eagles and that Harrier... GORGEOUS.

    Glad you are having signs of Spring up there. We have a beautiful day here... So--what does that mean? Yardwork for us.... We are spreading mulch now.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, Wow, what a special day you had. You got some great images! Excellent shot of the Northern Harrier. We have them around here, but they are brown!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, the Harrier shot is my favorite! I have never seen one on a blog and he is beautiful in flight! A black vulture! We seem to only have the old turkey vultures. I somehow think of the black as being more elegant, but what a funny way to describe a vulture!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a wonderful day observing some magnificent birds, Ruth. How very exciting to see the Black Vulture. I gasped at the harrier photograph ... truly fantastic! I was able to see several harriers while on vacation in Florida recently. I wish I would have captured an image like yours. Love the Eagles! Seeing four at once is so very special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How amazing to see such a variety of birds - over here in the UK I think my special moments with the larger birds have been the Red Kite in Wales and the Hen Harrier in Norfolk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, love the shot of Northern Harrier. Looks it was a wonderful day. Have a lovely evening. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the bald eagles. I have never been lucky enough to see one in flight. I've looked when Ben and I used to go to northern California to the redwoods, but never lucked out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa! I'd call that a VERY productive birding day. But I thought everyone had black vultures. We certainly have a ton of them here--did not know you rarely see them. Love your bald eagle shots and the harrier is really beautiful. Way to go Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great day for you, Ruth. The picture of the Harrier is especially nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the black vulture is the same bird that we call a Buzzard. Some may know it as a turkey vulture.
    Just today, I must have seen at least 15 of them in the same tree.
    I would love to see the bald eagles...we just don't see them much around here....
    Glad that March 30th was a special day for you...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Indeed, March 30th was a good day for you. Great shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was indeed a fine day for you. I love the Northern Harrier shot.. it's downright perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am thrilled with this post...thrilled beyond words!!!! Beautiful Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Ruth ~ This was a wonderfully, happy post! Your photos are amazing and blessings for sure.

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful day with us.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - an amazing collection of photos in this post, Ruth! Love that Northern Harrier shot, and to see a Black Vulture must have been so exciting. Love your Eagles too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos, Ruth. I like them all, but the Northern Harrier is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Ruth. Wow! What a day. Yes The Lord certainly showed you favour that day. Wonderful shots especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my. I'd call that a GREAT day! I love that shot of the lone eagle, and the Northern Harrier photo is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth