Wednesday, May 21, 2014

A Visit to Lake Manitoba

On May 17,my friend and co-worker,Gwen and I decided to check out a part of our province about an hour or more away from us. We left right after breakfast and headed to Portage La Prairie and then on to the lake area,stopping first at Delta and then at St. Ambroise.

This area has in the past had beaches and campgrounds,but due to recent flooding that has all but ended.The birds don't seem to mind and that gave me many great opportunities for pictures.

Here I caught a Canada Goose just touching down.In the background you can see some of the many Western Grebes that were there.


What we were not expecting was the ice not that far from the shore.Yes,folks that is ice pushed up on the water.Lake Manitoba is a fairly large inland lake,so it takes longer for the ice to melt.


At St. Ambroise we not only had ice on the water,but they actually made a cut through the snow bank so people could get to the shore of the lake.


There was not much activity at the lake and that came as no surprise.The picnic table looked somewhat deserted.


Despite the fact that there was still ice and even snow,I found beauty.The blue of the sky brightened an otherwise dull image.

In the nearby trees we could hear birds singing,it wasn't cold,even though it looks cold. 
We had a great time.Yes,we had to have our food in the vehicle but it still tasted good.


We have been anxiously waiting for spring,but of one thing we can be sure. It will come,God says so in His Word.
As long as the earth endures,seedtime and harvest,cold and heat,summer and winter,day and night will never cease.
Genesis 8:22

23 comments:

  1. Thank you, Ruth





    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite wonderful views of the icy cold beach. It is also a very unusual sight for me here in south Europe, where beaches are sunny and warm. But I really love these shots. So much beauty in them. I also like the way the snow has been cut so that people can approach the beach.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. From my perspective, at first, I thought it was sand on the lakefront/shore. SNOW?!! Brrrr.

    Still, as you say, the blue sky brightens the area --and your photos!!

    I bet the outing WAS fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed that there's still ice and snow there, Ruth! It's sad that flooding has caused so much damage to the campgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful place! i love that opening shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Honker touching down got my immediate attention! Thanks for a lovely post, Ruth, ice or no ice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did find a lot of beauty, but I'm glad we haven't encountered snow this late in May.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The goose landing is a beautiful sight, sharp and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful photos. There is so much beauty all around us. God sure made a beautiful world for us. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some wonderful photos that you've shared. What a thrill to catch the goose in mid-air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, that's such a lovely area! A great day trip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of your photos are amazing as always but the one of the picnic table with the logs in the forefront is my fave. There is a quiet, eerieness about it that is just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's hard to comprehend that you are still in icy, cold conditions when it is so hot here that I can barely walk outside. I wish I was there and I bet you wish you were here. lol

    That last shot is just breathtaking. The pale blues in the sky and water with the sand color do it for me. All are beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holding on to His promises! Beautiful pictures....even with the ice and snow in May!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! A little strange that the cold is holding on so tenaciously in Manitoba while here we're definitely into spring. It's still cool here but at least the snow is gone. We actually had a fairly mild winter, but I'm very happy to see some early spring flowers start to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dancing on water! wonderful picture of the duck dancing on water with the others in the background... These are beautiful Ruth...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely images! That sure is a LOT of snow for May - but maybe not for that area....I couldn't imagine it here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I cannot imagine snow in May! Surely spring will come soon for you. I love the 4th shot best. great composition, the fallen tree takes your eye into the empty picnic table. A promise of better warmer days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You sure got some good shots, it is still beautiful even if it looks cold. I have been waiting and waiting on spring too, but we almost went into summer temps now. Like the verse you shared

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful place and I love your photo's Ruth.Imagine making a path through the snow , such a great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ruth, A friend of yours, Betsy Adams, introduced me to your blog. Your photos are beautiful! It's so nice to meet you and to find your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm here on a return visit to send along my thanks for the comment/compliments you left at the Bird D'Pot with my ibis post/photos!!

    Hope your week ahead is great for you Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We had such a long winter here, also! My sister who lives between Lake Winnipeg and Lake Manitoba came down to Arkansas to get away from the cold, but we didn't have much warm weather to offer her while she was here!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth