Monday, May 26, 2014

Black And White Birds

I have a set of pictures taken the other day when I was up at Lake Manitoba,and the surrounding area.
As I looked at these,I realized,that although they are coloured pictures,it is mostly balk and white.

The first picture is that of a Franklin Gull,and yes,it is white with a little black.If you look closely you can also see a hint of pink on the belly.I find that very interesting,and have no idea what they have that.

This is mostly a black bird,but I was surprised to see that the wings are two-toned.This is a Double-crested Cormorant and it is also one of the better pictures I have ever gotten of this bird. It does have a patch of bright yellow or orange under the bill as well.


This is one of those sights I just never get tired of seeing.The American White Pelican is a graceful flyer with a very large wingspan.This bird has a wingspan of up to 110 inches.


I was fascinated by the Common Terns and their hunting style. I love when they hover like this one is doing and then suddenly dive straight down into the water,only to surface with some morsel of food.


Last but not least is a picture that brought me great joy,even though it is not totally sharp.
The Western Grebes were pairing off and here we see a pair running on the water.This may not be new to many of my readers,but I had only seen this once before,so I was thrilled.As they run one can actually hear the feet slapping the water.In this picture you can see that this pair had an audience as well.



The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things.

            


28 comments:

  1. Oh my GOSH!!! I saw the Grebe mating dance on T.V. what an amazing thing to see. Apparently they do it every once in awhile to strengthen their bond. I also love your cormorant shot, it looks like he is a jet taking off straight upward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pelican photo, but seeing those grebes would be a great thing, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pictures of your black and white birds! Love that flock of Pelicans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of these photos are wonderful. Although I have never seen birds walking on water, I think my favorite picture is the one with the flight of pelicans. Thanks for sharing all of these with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh--love seeing your bird photos.. Even Black and White ones are TERRIFIC.. I love that Double-crested Cormorant... Fantastic photo!!!! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos, Ruth! I would love to see the Grebes when they're doing that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love black and white..and our favorite bird to watch is the pelican, all flying in a line like yours...at the beach they fly in a line and ride the up currents on the tall condos...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent shots, especially the hovering tern and pelicans in flight. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those were wonderful pictures!! I don't think I have ever gotten what I consider a good in-flight picture, and you got 7 in just one shot. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...those white pelicans are so beautiful. Never seen a white one but enjoy seeing the brown ones that that hang out on our shore lines.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI Ruth Love the Black & White theme and all the birds. I have seen a film of those Grebes and was very moved by it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruth, Really enjoyed this set of photos. I like the way you give us the info on the birds! Great thought to go with as well. John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ruth, great shots! I love to see the Pelicans in the air. They seem to just soar and seem to be doing so just for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always get such amazing photos of birds in flight. You're tops with those. Excellent captures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic photos of the birds in flight. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These black and white birds are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous shots of the shore birds, they remind me of home!!

    You take amazing flight images!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pelicans are so beautiful and graceful. Wonderful shots, all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Ruth,these pictures are stunning. I love them all .Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  20. A very nice and well done presentation of these birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your "black and white birds"! By the way, the first 10 years of my life were spent by a small lake (Lake St Martin) between Lake Winnipeg and Lake Manitoba.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Excellent photos as always, Ruth.

    The quote that you end the post with is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful shots, Ruth! I have NEVER seen the mating dance before. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like a delightful place!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ...ps, Thanks Ruth for visiting and leaving a comment on my "Yellow Birds" blog post this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I got a 200mm lens last year and am practicing taking bird photos. Slowly improving. Got an eagle the other day and posted on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth