Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Buffalo Farm

Time to share another blog post. Today's post is very different from my usual subjects.No flowers or birds today,but rest assured,they will be back.

One mile west of my home town is a Buffalo farm.I think these animals are raised for the meat.I know that at our Corn and Apple Festival in the end of August,one can get Buffalo burgers.Others tell me they are good,but I can't speak from experience,as I have never tried one.

I had the opportunity to photograph some of these animals the other day.I think they are beautiful in their own rugged way.


Of course the babies are always cute.This little fella seemed to be curious about me,but I really didn't want him too close,because I had no desire to upset the Mama,or the Daddy.


I felt like I was getting the evil eye from this one.My only consolation was that there was a sturdy fence between me and him.


This one also seemed to look right through me.Notice the heavy steel gate.That was the only reason I was there.You see,I am a big chicken when it comes to large farm animals. I grew up on a small farm,but never liked being near the cows.We didn't have horses and that was fine with me.I think they are beautiful,from a distance.

A telephoto lens was a good choice for this Daddy Buffalo.They have such a serious look about them,that I want them to be contented and a safe distance away from me.


A quote from Charles Lindbergh:
In wilderness I sense the miracle of life,
and behind it our scientific accomplishments fade to trivia.

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad you (safely) got these photos of the buffalo. We saw how huge these animals can be when we were out West in 2012. We did try some buffalo meat on that trip and thought it was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have seen them before, and they are impressive. Awww, a baby! Are they all that pale color?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos, Ruth. I can see why you'd want a fence in between you and them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quote is a good one. Great shots of the Buffalo. They really are beautiful creatures. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the calf!!!

    [buffalo burgers I've had...they're good. AND hardly any cholesterol compared to fatty beef burgers. Or so I'm told]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Ruth ~ What an experience and wonderful photos of these beautiful creatures. There is something so majestic about them, plus they remind me of western movies and the great plains that these wild being would roam.

    Thank you for sharing, I was taken out of my ordinary day for a few minutes. ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. they really do look friendly. but nope they are mighty beasts. gorgeous fence shots. have a great weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are amazing creatures - but that fence doesn't look nearly as tough nor as substantial as some I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think buffalo are amazing and would love to see these guys. the baby is adorable and look like a cow calf.. can't tell he is a buffalo.. my favorite photo today is the one that is watching you through the fence... i wonder if they mooo

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're fine looking creatures but don't seem to have the same placidity about them that cows generally do. Number 044 is certainly giving you the stink eye!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi ruth...i love that quote. i never seem to be able to find the right words to describe how i feel about nature. that sums up my feelings perfectly!!!

    awesome pictures!!! i have been busy taking care of my mom and i have not been reading blogs the way i normally do!! please forgive me, i have missed you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruth A field of Buffalo. How wonderful and you got great shots of these wonderful and massive animals. Aren't their eyes so small for the size of their bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your photos, Ruth. I'd want a sturdy fence between me and those big animals, too!! I also like the quote.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have actually seen buffalo in the wild at several places and so far lucky no bad encounters. They always seem so aloof. And the burgers are good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, these are fantastic shots of the buffalo! Great fences too...you should link with Good Fences! We were in Nashville a couple of weeks ago and saw buffalo grazing in the fields. They do look rather mean but the little baby could pass for a sweet little cow!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, we say a few Bison on our trip, none as close as you got. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe they just look mean. I had a bull lick my hand once and he was very nice. : )
    The young ones are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are beautiful animals and your photos of them are wonderful. I ate a buffalo burger when I was in Oregon and it was very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting post! Glad you had the telescope lens. I'd not be going too close either. You got great shots. I'll have to try a buffalo burger next I get the chance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth