Saturday, August 9, 2014

Birds on My Yard and More

It seems that it has been a while since I last featured birds on this blog.Today I will correct that.Here are a few recent sightings.Yes birding has been slow recently.The birds have been busy with nesting and raising their young and also,it has been fairly hot,so this photographer has not spent very much time outside.

The other day I sat on my deck and waited to see who would pay me or the feeder a visit.
The White-breasted Nuthatch came to pick out a seed and then quickly fly away to eat it.


A somewhat scruffy looking Downy Woodpecker didn't quite dare to come to the feeder,but quickly grabbed a peanut and took off.


Of course the Black-capped Chickadee is one who comes easily and doesn't mind my being there. I like the slightly cocked head,making him look inquisitive.

A little farther from my home,at the Kaleida marshes,the ducks still had young ones in tow.I believe this is a Mallard duck with her young.I shot the picture because of the birds,but I also like the look of the water.


Most recently the birders in Manitoba have mostly been focused on a small area of Winnipeg.A birder with a keen eye spotted what he thought was a Mississippi Kite.Upon further investigation,it proved that he was correct and that indeed there was not one but two Kites.After some cautious scouting,someone found a nest with young in it.If you check on a range map,you will see that these birds are quite a lot further north than where they normally are.To see one of these birds here is special,but now to have proof that they have/are nesting in Manitoba is amazing.
I,like many other birders had to make a special trip,a two hour drive,to Winnipeg to see and photograph these birds.

Just another little tidbit of excitement.The birding community of Manitoba has spent the last five years collecting data for a Breeding Bird Atlas.Well,now it seems we will finish this project on a high note,with documentation of a successful nest of a pair of Mississippi Kites.It doesn't get much better than that.

25 comments:

  1. how awesome to see the kites! i've been lucky to spot one here one summer. our songbirds are looking pretty ratty right now, too. poor molting, frazzled parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, Wow, that's a tremendous sighting! Well out of their range!
    Your images are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bird shots! My favorite has to be the duck family...how precious and love the ripples in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos and the baby ducks made me smile. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of your pictures are excellent today, but my favorite has to be the awesome little nuthatch. I love the way they walk upside down and wonder why they do that. Also the duck family with the water edging out in that lovely pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got some great pictures of your feathered visitors. Congratulations on the verification of the sighting of the Mississippi Kites -- and your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ruth, These are excellent photos. As I was looking at your pictures I thought you were sure enjoying that new camera. Do you think you are getting better close ups with that new lens? The detail is great on the pics today! I am wondering what your thoughts are about the Kites. Could they be moving further north as a part of the overall "global warming"? Have a good weekend. John

    ReplyDelete
  8. happy for you that you got to see them.. i love the babies swimming with mom... i like the first one that is hanging upside down while he watches you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful for you to see the Kites! I have never seen one except in photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good photos. I never know the identity of birds I photograph so rely on my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A really beautiful collection of bird images!! They are soooo fun to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This year has been my very favorite for birding. I think my slow recovery from Lyme Disease made me sit and look at life more closely. And the birds did not disappoint. You have a great camera for getting these great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shots, Ruth! I love the bold little chickadees.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How thrilling is that? Congratulations on that nesting pair and naturally you had to go to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How wonderful it is to witness such a rare sight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. always a fan of the chick-a-dees or the baby duckies ... so cute!! ( :

    have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the picture of the mama duck and her babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I'm jealous that you have seen a Mississippi Kite! I do understand how excited birders can be when an unusual bird is seen nearby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on seeing and beautifully photographing the Mississippi Kite! Hard to believe they have gone that far north!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a nice series. All photos are superb in quality. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ruth....all the images are beautiful. Even the molting ones.

    To see a Kite would be a dream of mine come true.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ruth: I always enjoy the poses that the nuthatch gets itself into. I enjoyed the Kite in flight.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Enjoyed your bird photos. I had to take my feeder down for the summer as a mama bear and her 3 cubs kept knocking it down but hope to get it back up again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth