Sunday, September 7, 2014

All About Hummingbirds

The Hummingbird is a bird which most everyone likes.I have seen people put up Hummingbird feeders who would never consider feeding any other birds.
Like many photographers,I am always looking for that one perfect Hummingbird shot.I am convinced that that will likely never happen,but I will keep on trying and enjoying the ones I do get.

All of the following pictures were taken while sitting comfortably on my deck.
That long awaited moment finally came,when one of these flying jewels came to the flowers,instead of to the feeder. By the way,these are pictures of the Ruby-throated Hummingbird,the only species regularly seen here in Manitoba.This is likely an immature,or a female.


I had to be quick to catch this one at another flower head.
These birds are so small,only about 3-5 in.long and weigh in at a hefty 0.1 oz. 


I fired a series of shots as the bird was at the feeder. I really like the different angles of the wings.


In flight they beat their wings up to 75 beats per second. No wonder the camera has a hard time picking up the wings.

The wingspan is about 4.25 - 4.5 inches.The marvel of these tiny birds is that although they nest in southern Manitoba and the southern parts of Canada,they winter in southern Mexico and even into Central America.


We cannot doubt the hand of God the Creator in the design of the          remarkable hummingbirds. Truly they are ‘God’s tiny miracle.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you Ruth for sharing these photos of these exquisite little birds! Great shots, all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got so fine shots here, Ruth. We've been enjoying our Rubies here as well. They have such interesting behaviour if you watch them long enough. And you're right.. who wouldn't love a hummingbird?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got it!! And not just one either. You got the perfect hummingbird shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think all of the photos you got of God's Little Miracles are absolutely marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful shots of the hummers! Wish they would fly a little further north.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful shots dear Ruth. I'm looking forward to seeing and hopefully photographing some hummers this fall/winter/spring.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did finally get the perfect shots. they are all beautiful and perfect.. 75 beats per second blows my mind... i think the last two are my favorites, the movement of the wings... i would love to see these, but i don't dare attract them to our yard because of leaping hunting Jake..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos of the hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm always amazed at the distance those tiny things travel. bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth...these are awesome shots of those quick little hummers! I have taken some too and will be using them in Donna's Photo Challenge this week on motion. Aren't they just the most amazing little creations of our Father??

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW - you got some awesome shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Ruth you got some awesome shots. Those little rascals are hard to get photos of.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you got some fantastic hummingbird pictures. We had some around here where I live but they didn't seem to like the feeders at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awwww, they are so easy to love!! Fun facts and beautiful close ups!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not yet captured a photo of a sitting hummingbird, but do hope to one day be victorious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, You got some fabulous captures of the Hummers! I believe ours have migrated already - so damp and cool! I'm busy learning the camera functions, Ruth - wish you were here to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruth, what wonderful images! I really love the Hummingbirds! Of all the birds they have to be my favourite! They fascinate me every time I see them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We have those here as well. My wife feeds them and we both enjoy seeing them. Excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great captures, Ruth. I can never get them in flight. My friend does, but her puts up a green board around the feeder and it works.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth