Monday, October 27, 2014

USA and CANADA

I found material for a blog post recently.Something I had never thought of before.

First let me say that I am so thankful to share a border with the USA.There is no other country in the world that I would rather have as a neighbour.
I live about 15 miles from the US border now and grew up living even closer than that.
According to the internet this border is the longest international border in the world,spanning 5,525 miles.

Now here is the interesting part,to cross into the other country we need to have a passport and follow all the rules laid out by each country's government.I have no problem with that.I do however also know that getting from one country to the other would be very easy for someone who wanted to bypass the law.I am not trying to give ideas to anyone,but just stating facts.


 Driving along,recently,southwest of where I live,I came upon several posts like this.I knew all along that they were there,but had never really thought too much about this.
You can see that on the side I was,it says Canada.The opposite side would say United States of America.This post and the others I saw,are standing on the border.


Here is a broader view of the area. Again you can see that I am a law abiding citizen and am staying on the Canadian side,but the field you see is US soil.

I now turned my camera west along,what is the border between two countries.The road you see is in Canada,but just across the ditch is the USA. It is  great to see that two countries trust each other so completely.Once again,let me say that I would not know of another country in the world that I would want to share a border with and definitely not an open one like this.

I love my friends in the US and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter which country you or I live in,it only matters that we are able to get along peaceably.
The above scenes look very drab,but that is because it is the fall of the year and even the grass has lost its color.


I have two more pictures to share,neither of which has anything to do with borders or countries.
This is the Thanksgiving display at my church. Someone went to a lot of work to make the church foyer look lovely and inviting.

Of course beauty abounds wherever we look. In fall the trees are clothed in the most gorgeous golden robes.Add some sunshine and the scene is breathtaking.

 Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.
I have met so many friends in Blogland and to each of you I say thank-you for being my friend.

25 comments:

  1. quite the different border setting than that which edges our south.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we in the U.S. are very fortunate to share a border with Canada. I've never crossed the border in the wide open spaces that you've pictured, but have always been impressed by the friendliness of people manning the border post. Your church's Thanksgiving display is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just recently I saw this video about our mutual border - very informative! http://youtu.be/qMkYlIA7mgw?list=PLqs5ohhass_QZtSkX06DmWOaEaadwmw_D

    In our family we've pledged our friendship to the United States of America! One of our daughters was born in NY!!

    Beautiful posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone went to a lot of effort to make your church foyer so beautiful. I know all of you are enjoying it everytime you go to church….

    I had never thought much of the USA/Canada border until your post…Very interesting….

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Something I have never seen and did not know about. It spells T-R-U-S-T. The sun shimmering through the tree is beautiful. Do you know what this tree is? Maybe this artistic fall decoration will draw some new members to your church!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Ruth's Photo Blog" has been included in our Sites To See #407. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/10/sites-to-see-407.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is something! The openness and trusting of those two borders.

    Your church foyer looks very inviting and lovely.

    Enjoy your lovely fall weather dear Ruth ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely appreciative post. It is always good to have good neighbours, whether countries or the house next door. Beautiful fall colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and I say right back to you, Thank you for being my friend. and the church decorations are beautiful, as are the last photo of God's decorations for the Thanksgiving season. I am glad we share a border with you, wow, had no idea how long it is... thanks for showing the side by side borders. the street in front of our house, this side of the yellow line in the middle is City, the other side is County... when we call the police we call city, they have to call County sherrif.. we called from our side and City came, they could not do anything on the other side of the line, had to wait for county. crazy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruth, Really enjoyed your comments and photos regarding the border. And I don't think you are far from the International Peace Garden which is right on the border. I visited the Peace Garden years ago and thought it was wonderful ... Canada on one side, USA on the other ... no fences. I share your feelings about being neighbors ... Canada is such a great country! Now, someone did an awesome job at your church decorating for Thanksgiving. Just looks great! Wishing you a fine day. John

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting post...especially the part about the "posts"...lol! Since I have never been to the Canadian border, I had no idea how the countries were seperated...or NOT :) I would love to visit your lovely "side' one day! Oh, and the display at your church is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could be the most peaceful border in all the world. It doesn't hurt that they are two nations of plenty, no wars on their soil, and there is no problem for citizens crossing at a border check. What blessed nations we live in. It truly is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I luv Canada! being that we have now crossed on 4 different occasions - the USA side is much tougher - makes me nervous they won't let me back? I have found I would luv to consider duel citizenship - Canada has made a huge impression on me. luv it!!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this post, Ruth! Very well said. And that last photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And thank you, Ruth for being my blog friend. I will have to say, since I found Facebook, I don't get on blogs like I use to. Shame to, I should make time to do that. Yesterday was a beautiful day, today it's damp and rainy and by Sat. it's suppose to turn cold, real cold compared to what we've been having. Hope you and family are all well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, we've got you beat for closeness to the border. We are about 4 miles. I agree whole heartedly with your comments. Wouldn't want to live next to anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ruth, PS: we have the same markers along the border! I guess whoever got that contract made a bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great that you have a peaceful border and I love the arrangement of God's bounty in your church foyer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting....I had no idea that there were post out there like this! I love my Canadian friends!

    Before blogging, I considered Canada a very cold place that was always iced in....I've enjoyed seeing the beauty of Canada through the photos of my friends..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to say that I am very thankful that Canada is our neighbor to the north! Canada is a wonderful country filled with wonderful people. I have several Canadian blog friends and I'm happy you are one of them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting!!!! I had no idea you lived THIS close to the border... I am so glad that we met --and cannot wait 'til we meet in person in December. YEAH!!!!!

    Wow---someone did a great job with that Thanksgiving display at your church... Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

    I love your country and hope that i get there sometime--to see YOU...

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awww, this was so well-written. Howdy neighbor! If only our southern border was like this. Your church is very festive...kudos to the decorator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ruth, I've crossed that border many times (by car at the checkpoints) and have also marveled at how you could basically just walk across unseen and unimpeded. I don't remember seeing those little white posts which are interesting. I love the gem of the sun you caught in the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a very nice post, Ruth. I'm glad we have such great neighbors to the north and I'm glad you're my neighbor. Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth