Wednesday, December 17, 2014

This and That Before Christmas

It is one week before Christmas eve. For me Christmas will happen on Sunday,December 21st.It just happens to work best for us to do it that day,but it really doesn't matter which day we celebrate,the reason is still the same.It is the birthday of Jesus.

I have a few random pictures I want to share today,not necessarily connected to Christmas.
It has been at least a year,maybe two,since I last had any Common Redpolls on my yard,so I was thrilled,when  a few weeks back two showed up.Unfortunately,I saw them that day and have not seen them since,but at least I got a picture or two.

I have not been seriously looking for Snowy Owls,although,I am hearing that there are quite a few around.I got this far away picture on a recent trip to Winnipeg with my son. This is a lovely male,as indicated by it's whiteness.


 This picture does have something to do with Christmas,as it is an icicle decoration hanging on one of my trees.I like the iridescence of these icicles.

 Here is another image,taken a while back.It shows lake Minniwasta,all frozen over.

A few years back one of my blogging friends,Anita,from did you bring your camera?,sent me a set of crystals for my window.I love seeing them and think of her often as I watch the rainbows on the walls. Thanks again,Anita.


Here is part of my living room,adorned with a multitude of dancing rainbows.I absolutely love this and miss them in summer when the sun is a different angle.


I think this quote fits well with today's post.

One smile,can start a friendship.
One word,can save a fight.
One person,can change your life.

I want to be that one person,who can give a smile and start a friendship or change a life.
So many of you have,and are giving that smile daily to those you meet and by your words,to those who read the blogs.Keep it up.

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! And Ruth, may your celebration [no matter what day you choose] be filled with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your living room is filled with mini rainbows!! So pretty! I love the sweet little Redpoll. I would have never know what it is. I don't think I have ever seen one before. LOVE the Snowy Owl! He seems so out of place on an electrical pole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like each and every one of these 'this and that' photos. The redpoll is a beautiful bird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words and beautiful post, Ruth!

    I agree that Christmas does not have to be celebrated on the 24th Eve or on the 25th. Every day is a good one to "give a smile and start a friendship or change a life."

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your birds! and the pretty prism. :) enjoy your christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are celebrating this weekend too Ruth!!
    Great pics - so glad you got that infrequent visitor to your yard :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photos and words. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post Ruth.... I love all the happiness that is written and shown here. big hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos, Ruth!





    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    <3
    Christmas Flute [me playing]

    https://soundcloud.com/icloudia/holidays

    ReplyDelete
  12. that Redpoll is such a beautiful bird and new to me... I love the light on your walls and my mother had those icicles.. the photo is gorgeous ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your quote and that redpoll- what a gorgeous bird! Thanks for sharing these wonderful images today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Redpoll is stunning! And the Snowy Owl...what a gift. You are a blessing to many out here in blogland. Thank you for writing out your faith on your blog. It's inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how I love that Snowy Owl ---sitting up there taking care of the world all around him... AND the Redpoll is a neat bird also....

    I know you will have a wonderful Christmas ---and THEN, you'll head SOUTH... Yeah--cannot wait.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos dear Ruth. What a sweet little bird the Redpoll is. I've never even heard of one. The owl photo is great.

    May your Christmas celebration be filled with much love, joy and peace.

    Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Great Aunt and Uncle had a prism like that hanging in a window when I was a child. The rainbows were so beautiful. Thank you for the good memories this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another beautiful post, Ruth! I'm really glad I found your blog - you uplift me in more ways than one. We were out for a backroads drive yesterday, and also saw a Snowy Owl. It was a bit of a gray, foggy day, and we almost missed it. We turned around to go back for a photo, but it flew off. I did get a photo of one earlier though on our way to town.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos, Ruth...I don't think I have ever seen one like the first one you posted here...or the snowy owl for that matter! I love those pretty reflections of light and the quote at the the end was just a perfect ending to your post. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a smashing shot of the Redpoll and it was great you spotted the Owl. The reflected lights in your room makes it special. Have a grea time on YOUR Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lots of fun stuff ruth!! the snowy owl is here at the shore but I have not seen any!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ruth, lovely images! I love the Redpoll. They are still on my want to see list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Ruth, This is just a wonderful post. The Redpoll should be the Official Bird of Christmas ... it just fits so well with the season and your photo ... and the others too ... just great. The thought at the end is wonderful too ... you are truly a kind person. Hope you have a fine gathering with family on the 21st. Best regards to you from the West Coast. John

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ruth, you are such an inspiration to all of us. I always enjoying visiting you and seeing your beautiful captures as well as your wise words. Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This made me smile all over again, Ruth! Merry Christmas!~ XO

    ReplyDelete
  26. i enjoy the rainbows all over your room ... that is gorgeous!! i love that when it happens. so pretty!! Merry Christmas!! wow, time is flying by. take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wish you a great Christmas celebration Ruth. Thanks for visiting me today!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  28. Miss the cute little redpolls that used to come here. The birds are scarce this winter. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Merry Christmas Ruth - your images are breath taking. I followed your G+ share over to your site.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That redpoll is darling! Lovely images and thoughts. Wishing you the happies of holidays. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great selection of images. We usually have Redpolls at the feeder a bit later on and I look forward to them arriving. I also hope to see snowy owls. They have been coming to this area for at least two years now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth