Wednesday, January 28, 2015

White-tailed Deer Before the Digital Era

My husband,Jake loved photography of almost any sort,but I think if he would have had to choose only one subject it would have been the White-tailed Deer.
He used to be an avid hunter,but the day came when he was out hunting these animals with a high powered rifle,hoping to get some meat to fill the freezer,when he suddenly found that he couldn't pull the trigger on a deer.
I remember so well,when he got home,he set his rifle down and announced that he was done with hunting.I am not knocking anyone who hunts,as I grew up with hunting and eating wild meat.

After that day,Jake bought a new camera and took up hunting of a different sort.

Always hoping for that perfect shot,he spent countless hours,dressed in camouflage,waiting for the deer to be at just the right place.


This doe has no doubt seen the photographer,but paused long enough to get a few shots.


Something has got their attention,but who knows what.Just a reminder,all these images were taken long before the digital era.This was a time when each picture was carefully weighed to make sure you didn't waste film.


Here is another one who seems to know that someone is there,but waits just long enough for a photo.


This is probable one of Jake's best shots.The only improvement would be if the doe was looking at the camera,or at least straight ahead.

The White-tailed Deer is a beautiful animal and the only deer we have around here.I love to see the spotted fawns early in the spring.

A verse that kind of goes with these pictures.
Your heavenly Father knows your needs,
He will give you all you need from day to day.
Luke 12:30-31

As God provides grass for these animals,He also provides for our needs.

21 comments:

  1. they are really stunning photos.... i love the little spotted baby... daddy had to give up hunting when i was a child because if he brought birds home and mother cooked them i cried at the table the whole time. he still went hunting for a few years but gave his to his brother and cousins. then he stopped. i am against hunting unless the person has a real need for food. and i am against sport fishing to, my hubby used to go out deep sea fishing, catch and release. i said so you are hooking a piece of steel in their mouth and making the fight for their life for FUN? are you kidding me? it isn't fun for them... sorry, i got on my hunting soap box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very beautiful they are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll say it again...your hubby's film shots are so beautifil! I do love digital mostly because of the no film/no developement thing but I bought a Pentax K1000 back in the late 70's and used it for years and years until the point & shoots came out. I still have it and the lenses and may just get it out one day and play around with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jake was a wonderful photographer! And these are just beautiful! My favorite has to be the first one. So vivid and glorious, yet with no editing, only skill and patience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, lovely images! I did that a few years back, where I hung up my guns and picked up the camera! I enjoy the camera far more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all fabulous photos! Jake was a wonderful photographer. I'm glad you have these beautiful images to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Ruth....I am so glad that you did this post.. My goodness, the pictures are outstanding! Glad you have these and all the memories of your special man. Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are outstanding photos of deer and I admire Jake's skill. I also admire people who hunt for food, instead of buying it in the store. I have never hunted but it seems to be an honest activity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great that you show us Jake's prowess with the camera - wonderful shots. I also liked the ones in your previous post, especially the one in town. It's nice to look back on old photos to see how much things have changed since.

    Thank you for your kind words on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jake was an excellent photographer! Deer are so photogenic that I'm not surprised he enjoyed taking photos of them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved seeing more of Jake's photos. The Whitetail are so beautiful. It's hard for me to get good photos of them around here - they are so spooky and on the run instantly. (Well, that was when we used to see a lot of Whitetail).

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're wonderful shots, Ruth. Your Jake was a fine photographer. And I can only imagine his thought process before laying down that gun. Clearly he had a great love for these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the last shot of the parent and young Deer and your husband was a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These photos are beautiful, and I remember the film days too. Waiting for the perfect shot, worrying about wasting film...Jake did a fine job here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful photos. My favorite is the doe with her baby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The last one was my favorite as well, such a cute spotted baby!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful captures Ruth, they are so much fun to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful shots! I love the grouping of deer with the mouth opened doe, and the last, just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are wonderful pictures of Deer! I know several men who have laid down their rifles and taken up their camera :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth