Thursday, January 22, 2015

Winter — Beauty and Fury

In southern Manitoba,we expect snow and wind in winter,and we are usually not disappointed.
This winter has had a variety of weather,some snow,some wind,some bitter cold and lots of mild days as well.

The fury of winter came on January 8th.We had some snow and then of course the wind.The snow was quickly blown into drifts. I must add that this has thus far been the only storm of the winter,so that is pretty good,BUT,winter is not over yet.


On my yard,the snow drifts form right across my driveway.This one was big enough that I didn't feel comfortable tackling it with my car,even if it is a four-wheel drive.

This photo gives a better perspective of the drift across the driveway at the west end of my house.I had to get someone to pick me up and take me to my bus so I could take care of my route for the afternoon.By early next morning my snow clearing guy had opened it up really well.


Yes,we have storms,but we also get to see the beautiful side of winter.On a recent drive out of town,I came upon this scene in the roadside ditch.I thought it was a stunning scene.


I zoomed in on the snowbank and noticed all the ripples and texture in the snow.


A wider angle view,once again changed the look of the scene.I love those blue shadows on the snow.


I have not had many chances to get photos of a Snowy Owl this year,but this lady was very cooperative.Can she turn that head any further around?


I moved forward with the car and she turned around and gave me this beautiful pose.What a magnificent bird!

 I look at a bird like this and I see a beautiful creation,made by God.
The quote I share today is one I need to remember.

NEXT TIME YOU VIEW YOURSELF IN A MIRROR,
VIEW YOURSELF AS GOD SEES YOU ———
A SPECIAL CREATION,MADE IN HIS IMAGE.



30 comments:

  1. Ruth, these images are gorgeous. The shot of the snowy oil is just spectacular; I hope one to see one myself. I love the snow when it's just freshly fallen...God does give us great beauty.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely found a great deal of winter beauty around you, but I'm not sure I'm ready to face that much winter weather. I think I'll just rely on your beautiful photos to remind me of all the beauty in a snowy world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really is beautiful! i remember those cold, blustery winter days of wisconsin! brrr...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quote.... Dare I be jealous?? just kidding! I love snow and I can't possibly imagine having this much. We RARELY get it. I know that there are a lot of {snowbirds} that move South for the Winter and then back to their up North homes come Spring.... I need to move up North in the Winter and Summer.....and stay here in Texas during the Spring and Fall. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What stunning images, Ruth. I love the texture of ripples you captured in the snow drift...and that owl! Oh, how breathtakingly gorgeous! I would take some of your snow if I could :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those cattail photos, awesome in the snow and beautiful owl. i am surprised you can drive your bus in all that snow but I know you are used to it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what gorgeous photos... Like Shug, I am JEALOUS. I cannot imagine that much snow --and it's so beautiful... I wouldn't want to get out and drive in it.. BUT--I'd love to sit by a big fireplace and watch the snow come down.... Oh my heart... I also love that Snowy Owl.... What a gorgeous bird.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Ruth ~ This post was beautiful in photos and in that last statement of yours.

    Thank you for sharing all of the beauty that surrounds you there and for your encouraging words.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never lived where it snows much. I think in my lifetime, it has snowed maybe 6 or 7 times where I live, so it is fun for me to see the photos you post of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unbelievably beautiful pictures. We fall apart here and the county shuts down when there's snow on the highway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treat this post is, Ruth. I'm sure glad you didn't try to motor through that drift! The cattails in the snow and the snowy owl are so beautiful - the best winter has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful quote!!! And a wonderful bird, created by God for sure. Just look at the round white head and yellow eyes. God has made so much variety on and under the earth, and all for us! Is that Cattails growing in the snow, incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post, Ruth. Something about a raging blizzard that makes you feel safe and cozy inside. The snowy owl is just beautiful. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snow always looks so lovely when you don't have to shovel it. ;) Beautiful images of the snowy owl. I've never seen one and would just love to happen upon one. I'm so glad for you that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely stunning displays of winter, from the snow covered ground, to the majestic white owl.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  16. Living in sunny Singapore, its a refreshing change to drop by your blog dear Ruth :) The winter wonderland looks so beautiful albeit cold. Love your pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ruth, I love these photos. You do an excellent job of finding the beauty in things. Thanks, as always, for sharing. Have a good weekend. John

    ReplyDelete
  18. A snowy owl!!! How cool is that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These images of wintering the snow are stunning. I love the Owl, she is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such pretty winter pictures. The owl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous owl. i love it when snow blows like that .. so cool!! we had a few flurries this afternoon but NO REAL SNOWFALL. so so sad about that. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful photos of your winter landscape. The Snowy Owl is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The drifting snow is beautiful as are your captures of the Snowy Owl!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh I love that snowy owl and all the snow too, lovely group of wintery shots.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The snowy owl looks right at home in the snowy landscape, Ruth. We've had a fairly easy winter here so far too,,,but Atlantic Canada has not been so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WoW Ruth, that's some serious snow and the pictures are lovely! You must be a strong, determined woman to be dealing with this type of weather!! The snowy captures are awesome, what a real treat to see one in person!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Ruth, how exciting to see a snowy owl! I drove to a location about 15 min. From my house where one was reported, but no luck! Your shots are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You can feel the cold through the pictures and love the owl ones

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful pictures and such an awesome owl--beautifully put together by it's Creator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth