Monday, February 16, 2015

Snowy Owl Photos

Earlier in February,on a Sunday afternoon,I got a call from my son,telling me about this pure white Snowy Owl he had seen.Since the owl was not too far from my home,he figured I might want to drive out and get some pictures.He was absolutely right about that.I headed out and before long I spotted the owl,just as white as white could be.Unfortunately,this owl was not in a photogenic mood and took off before I had a change to get even one shot.
Since I was already out and about,I decided to take the long way home,on the chance that I might see something of interest. Good thing I made that choice.
I came upon another,almost pure white Snowy Owl. The beautiful male didn't mind have his picture taken time and again.

 I always wish that these birds would have the decency to sit on top of the insulators,so I wouldn't have to contend with the wires.Oh well,I was just happy to have a cooperative bird,on this lovely,blue sky kind of day.

With some careful editing,I was able to remove the offensive wire.I know that the critics will not like the editing and I'm not sure I like it either,but at least I have one picture without the wire.


The first two photos were taken with the Olympus OM-D EM 1 and a 300mm lens.
I then switched to my Canon SX50,which actually has a more powerful zoom and took this image.


After allowing me numerous shots,he had enough of me and flew to the next pole.I was able to capture a couple of images just before he landed.


When this bird was sitting,he looked pure white,but here you can see a few darker spots on the wings.

After taking this picture,I decided that it was best to let him do his hunting in peace.I drove home,quite contented and happy that I had gone out looking for Snowy Owls.
Bird photography is not always successful,but on this day I was satisfied with the results.

33 comments:

  1. they're just amazing and so beautiful! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a fun outing, I'm sure! Bright blue sky and a fluffy white owl - I know, you wish it was wireless!! LOL!! Enjoyed those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous! snowy white!))))

    xoxo, Juliana | PJ’ Happies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth, great shots of the Snowy! Such an elegant bird! I don't mind your editing out the wire. In fact, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sight to behold! Lovely photographs of the gorgeous Snowy Owl, Ruth! I have gone out searching for the snowies this winter, but I always seem to miss them. So glad you were able to observe this handsome owl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful owl. I'm glad you got to get photographs of it. I would be satisfied, too. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stunning and I know you were thrilled when you found him after the other one flew off....

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful and majestic owl! I do like the one without the distracting wire. Too bad he didn't pose in a better spot for you. What a GREAT set, despite that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Yes, I agree with Gail Dixon... Majestic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would love to see one of these owl in person. what a beauty. i enjoy your shots!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhh they are so beautiful, I am still dreaming about seeing one!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you chose to go out to look for the snow owl. The male is so white and beautiful. The last photo of the owl flying away reminded me of a huge dove. Great pictures Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these pictures. You have done a great job with the editing. Must take a drive in the country to see if I can spot one of those beautiful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow he sure is a beautiful bird. Looks so pretty against the blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would never have known there had been a wire there, you did such an excellent edit! His eyes look Chinese and he appears inscrutable, he is beautiful!! What an amazing sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am in total awe!!! Wow...such a beauty. Lucky you to happen on another that wanted to be photographed. And your sharing the images is so generous of you. Color me green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ruth, Nice captures and, yes, I do like the edited photo. Wow, you did an excellent job of getting rid of that wire. It is a good example of what can be done with the software, and, in my opinion, a more enjoyable photo. Thanks, as always, for sharing your photography. John

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice! They are just so beautiful! I have hundreds of photos of them that I took the winter of 2011-12, when we had an irruption of them here. I've seen only about 2 or 3 this winter. Got 2 good photos of just one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's interesting how some owls are spooked so easily while others are so patient with photographers! You did a great job removing the wire from the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My first comment didn't publish, so I'll try again. The white owl is so pretty and I really love how you captured him in flight! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ruth
    very nice to see .. owls particularly snowy owls are really fascinating animals. Beautifully photographed
    regards Frank

    ReplyDelete
  22. What lovely captures of this glorious bird, Ruth! I also love your new header for February :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to have a chance to photograph one! You can crop the photo so you can zoom in more. I find no problem in editing out the wires!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How wonderful to come upon this snowy owl! I wish I could see one in person, but meanwhile, I'll study your photos, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well accomplished. He is so beautiful. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That had to have made your day! Too bad he couldn't find something prettier to land on, but you take what you get, and the birds do seem to like the telephone poles.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! You are so very lucky to have been able to get some good shots of this beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are the most beautiful owl photos I have seen. How exciting to have these owls near you.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous photos of the Snowy Owl.... I have never seen one --and would LOVE to see one someday....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so glad you got to see this beautiful bird! I check a birding site everyday to see if snowy owls are anywhere near us...last weekend one was spotted in Milwaukee along the lake. If it hadn't been -6, I think it would have been worth the hour drive. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  31. How thrilling to get pictures and actually be able to see this gorgeous bird! I would love to see one. You are good at getting "in flight" pictures too. By then time I find the bird in the camera, it is usually too far away. NICE PICTURES.

    ReplyDelete
  32. How thrilling to get pictures and actually be able to see this gorgeous bird! I would love to see one. You are good at getting "in flight" pictures too. By then time I find the bird in the camera, it is usually too far away. NICE PICTURES.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh this was a great capture, regardless of the wires!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth