Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Looking For Treasures

On March 29,I had planned to head to the Pembina Valley right after church.Steve found out about this and he and Kai decided to join me.What a treat that was for me!

With Steve driving,we found some more out of the way places to photograph.
This is one of those hidden places that I really must get back to when things have greened up some.


While Steve was busy getting pictures of an old building on one side of the road,I captured this scene on the other side. This building has not been in use for a very long time.The puffy clouds in that blue sky are what make the picture for me.


The next stop was at the Hawkwatch location and once again the sky was filled with clouds.Oh there were a few birds as well,but not many that were within camera range.


This picture is not totally sharp,but I still like it. They were not aware that I was taking a picture.I love to see father and daughter enjoying their time together.


A little further down the road is what we commonly refer to as 'the shale cut'. The birders who frequent this valley all know where this is .This can be a wonderful spot to watch and photograph the migrating raptors,but the key is that,first there need to birds and second they need to be flying over this area. None of those things were happening that day,but Kai had a good time climbing and looking for treasures.

I didn't come home with prize winning photos of birds,but it was a successful day for other reasons. I love spending time with my family and making memories as we go.

Think about it:
A smile costs nothing but gives much. It takes but a moment,and the memory of it sometimes lasts a lifetime.

30 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how beautiful our world is no matter where we go? There is truly beauty all around us ---if we are happy and enjoy just being there... Great photos --but the best part was just being with a loving family...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your pictures, especially the one of your son and granddaughter!
    The quote is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quote demonstrates how priceless a smile truly is. You may not have found and treasures or gotten price-winning photos of raptors, but you obviously had a very rewarding day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds may not have cooperated but the sky sure did!! Beautiful sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. treasure hunting and finding, indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos. I too like the one of father and daughter. I think they have a special bond. I know I did with my dad. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great day, and no snow! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE THIS.....GOOD FAMILY TIME THAT IS SPENT ON THE ADVENTURE SIDE OF LIFE. MEMORIES BEING MADE THAT KAI WILL NEVER FORGET.... THE PICTURES ARE ALL AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have been right at home on this adventure. I imagine there may be fossils here. I just can't resist a good rock hunt.

    Fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful day. And the second picture is my favorite. What a juxtaposition of the gorgeous sky and clouds, with the poor old tumbled down building.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any time spent with family making memories, is time well spent. I would love to go with you to those "hidden places!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ruth, It sure looks like you had a nice outing even without the birds. We think alike about the clouds ... they can often make the photo special. The thought for the day is a great one. Thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  13. smiling now at the quote and the picture of you enjoying your trip with family that appeared in my mind while reading the post. nature is wonderful and even better when with friends and family..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice post, Ruth. I looks like you found some really neat places to get photos! I love the father/daughter photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It truly is special to see a father and daughter enjoy time together! What a nice family you have!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, a nice Sunday outing! Love the cloud shots! I quite taken with clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  17. my favorite shot is the one with the barn rumble - those clouds are just amazing!! what fun!! my hubby was joking with me the other day about where were traveling in VA - he said if those mtns were a bit higher it would be like we were in Wyoming again, i said nope impossible - Wyoming mtns are so tall & those skies are so more huge out there than in VA. our world is just amazing - all states & areas are beautiful for their ways & reasons. beauty is every where. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any day which makes you smile is one that is very worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm enjoying the blue sky and clouds and no snow! I especially love the shot of Steve and Kai. Precious treasure you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ruth, this looks like a wonderful place...I can see why you enjoyed it, especially with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely post, Ruth. Family time is so precious as everyone seems to be burning the candle at both ends these days. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks like a perfect day to explore and go for a walk with family. Beautiful scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. some lovely hidden treasures, the clouds are outstanding!! kai is getting so big, i like her pink boots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful way to spend the day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some times, simple days, and simple pleasures of family, nature and a peaceful mood, work wonders for the body and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've share a day filled with family treasures and beautiful skies!! A glorious day, I'm sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Ruth, Just stopping by to say HI. I hope your school has a Spring Break that will give you a chance to get out and take some of your wonderful pictures to share with us. Take care and have a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful pictures Ruth and what a beautiful country you live in.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kai was the little bird you captured. Her boots are so cute. I wonder if she'll be a photographer like her Grandma and Dad?

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth