Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Raptor Festival

On April 11,2015,I attended a Raptor Festival in a small community,called La Riviere. This little town is located about a 30 minute drive west of where I live. La Riviere is better know for it's downhill skiing in winter.People come from far and near to use the carefully groomed slopes,of the sloping hills,which surround this town.
The day of the Raptor Festival the population of this town more than doubled,when over 500 people came to attend the festival.

This is part of the street scene,showing the cars parked along the sides. I was there early and had a hard time finding a parking spot.


All the attention was focused on the live raptors which were on display.Birds like this Swainson's Hawk were injured in the wild then brought to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.Many of the injured birds can be returned to the wild,but this particular bird only had one eye,so would not be able to judge distance and therefore was better in captivity and used to teach us about raptors.


This is a Barn Owl.I do not remember the story behind this bird,but he sure was willing to pose for photos.


A Great Horned Owl was another one of the captive birds on display.This particular owl seemed to enjoy being with people.


Look at the talons.I would not want to be at the receiving end of them.Seeing these birds in this way gives us a better perspective of just how well adapted they are for survival.No mouse or vole has a chance against talons like that.

Next door to the festival site was a small playground and Kai took advantage of that.She was not aware that I took this shot.I'm not sure what she was engrossed in,but I do know she had a good time at the festival.

On the way home,I came across this long line of tanker cars and just had to get a picture.The fact that Jake loved his trains is so deeply ingrained in me that when I see something like this I must stop and get a shot or two.

 The following quote has nothing to do with the rest of the post,but I liked it.

Always believe in God,Because there are some things that even Google can't answer.


26 comments:

  1. I like that quote! And a very good train shot. Many tanker cars on a flat plain. It gives me a rather lonely feeling. I can see why so many people come to this! If I lived in the area, I would get there at least an hour early and be ready with my camera! You got really good shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love that quote! :) great and beautiful raptors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love the quote. The Raptor Festival looks as if it is a fascinating event to attend. Thanks so much for your beautiful photos of the raptors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I need to attend this festival next year. Such beautiful birds with amazing markings. Liked the quote too. Many times I have wished for answers. God knows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful birds. Isn't God wonderful to create so many different kinds?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful birds. Isn't God wonderful to create so many different kinds?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful birds! Thank you for sharing.

    I loved seeing that long line of tanker cars, not something we see down here.

    Loved that quote!

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ruth, I missed a couple of your posts on Ruth’s Photo Blog and discovered something new about blogging this morning. When looking at comments in my Blogspot dashboard I could see a comment from you but when I clicked on your name to go to the Photo Blog I was being sent to your Google+ page and the only post I saw there was “Looking for Treasures” back on April 8. Since I didn’t see the newer posts I just assumed … wrongly! … that there weren’t any newer posts. This morning I clicked on Looking for Treasures and then HOME and found the newer posts. Sometimes I have found Google+ a little confusing, how about you? Anyway, to make a long story longer … ha ha … I loved the photos of the thunderstorm and rainbow. The pictures when you were out for a drive reminded me of Montana … those rolls of hay and geese. And then, the Raptor Festival … I loved your report and photos. Even though the birds were captive your photos are awesome. Of course you had to go and top it all off with the photo of the tanker train … I can tell you for sure Jake would love that photo! Thanks for sharing all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the perspective of the train cars photo... and those talons are scary.. i love the great horned owl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these great pictures! Love the Owls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. it is lovely to be able to see these fantastic birds up close and you gotsome great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great place to be. You got some beautiful shots of the owl. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The great horned owl can take an animal several times its weight and has taken some cats around our neighborhood before! I was amazed at their size when I saw one up close!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ruth....Hope you are having a great day. Love the train picture..with all those tankers! Wonderful photos of all the fowl, including those long talons. It is so fun to snap photos of the kids when they least suspect....this is a good one of Kia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, beautiful images! What a treat to see those birds up close!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love that quote! Loved your beautiful photos, the closeups of the birds are just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful photos as always, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a neat festival --and so glad that Kai went with you... Love seeing those big birds.... NEAT!!!!!

    Loved the tanker cars also--but you also know how much I love trains!!!!!

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  19. the almighty google is not the answer - what??? are you sure? ha. ha!! love that quote. ( :

    i have always enjoyed owls ... they are such amazing birds. enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooooo, i have been waiting for this. what a great adventure and awesome pictures!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Ruth, Had to stop by again to give you a reply to your comment on my blog yesterday when you said, "I know it's not possible, but you really need to make all these recipes and have all the bloggers over for a taste test. :)" Ruth, that is one of the best comments I've ever gotten and it made my day! :-) Here it is the next day and I'm still smiling about that. Have a great weekend! [And for those who don't follow my blog ... For the last week I've been posting a different recipe each day from old postcards.]

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a great place for photo ops, and you've got some beauties! Also, love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing, and incredible!! I too would have loved to attend the festival.

    She does look like she's concentrating on something of interest!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What fun! I love when the Renaissance Festival comes here because of the raptors. Magnificent birds!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth