Wednesday, May 6, 2015

At The Waters Edge

After my last post,I feel it is time to go back to nature.I enjoy watching and photographing the birds,although I seem to be getting less picture of birds than I used to.

The American Coot has not given me too many photo opportunities but this wasn't too bad.
The car works well as a blind,and this bird waited just long enough for me to get a picture,before disappearing into the reeds.


The Ring-billed Gulls,on the other hand,are not shy at all. When I arrived at Lake Minniwasta recently,there were several gulls standing on rocks at the edge of the lake.This particular one allowed me to get out of the car and walk into position to get this photo.


While I was at the waters edge,I noticed a small group of Eared Grebes swimming towards me.This one was close enough for a decent picture. Just a note of interest,I read that a group of Grebes is called a 'water dance'. Did you know that?


I have taken pictures from this particular place many times.I enjoy seeing how the pictures change with the seasons and even the weather.One thing that for me remains the same,is the beauty.


From one spot at the lake I went to the boat dock.I have been there before but for some reason had never noticed how photogenic the actual boat dock could be.The calmness of the water was perhaps a deciding factor on this day.


Here is something worth remembering…..
Don't start your day with the broken pieces of yesterday.
Every day is a fresh start,
Each day is a new beginning.
Every day we wake up is the first day of our new life

26 comments:

  1. loved the bird shots and the reflections, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Eared Grebe is my favorite, I love him! The red eyes, the crazy hairdo, the reflection, the water path behind him. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see a 'water dance' of Grebes... this one is so pretty and i love the ripples in the first photo to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the on the rock, one leg position. that always makes me happy & i do laugh. i wonder how long i could take on that look. ha. ha!!! after i saw ripples i had to go back and see the ripples in the water ... i almost missed it ...very cool. i enjoy it too!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Ruth! I did not know that a group of Grebes is called a "Water Dance". Learn something new every time I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the photo of the grebe...and a group is really called a "water dance"? No, I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos and a great quote!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Gull looks like he only has one leg. You definite got some birds we don't see around here.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the reflected gull on rock. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth, it looks like a nice little lake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ruth...new follower! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed each and every one of these photos from the water's edge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your bird posts. I live on a lake and the gulls are present here as well. I was so glad to see that you identified it as a ring-billed gull as we have the same species here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth, this is just the bit of calm I needed to see today. I don't think I've ever seen Eared Grebes and I love that a groupd is called a water dance! That is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pictures are all beautiful. No, I didn't know they were called a water dance. : )

    ReplyDelete
  16. a beautiful group of images, the grebe is adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great photos, Ruth! I really like the reflection you captured in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwwwwwwwwwww, God's country!! Extraordinary and ever so much a life of peaceful tranquility!!!

    Love the eared grebe, and no...I did not know the name of a group of grebes. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are gorgeous shots- have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Peaceful watery shots, Ruth. The Grebe has a look that always makes me smlle! Hope you had a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the details in the grebes feathers. I don't think I have ever seen one. Happy Mother's Day, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love that last quote... NEAT... You captured some great birds in your pictures... NEAT....The Grebes are so unique and amazing.... Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous photos! I love that Eared Grebe. Wish we had those here. Pretty scenes of the landscape, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Ruth, ... a group of Grebes is called a 'water dance' ... interesting and I did not know that! Enjoyed all your photos ... nice work! The red eye on the Grebe is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another set of lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth