Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Guest Post by Steve Hiebert Photography

Today I am sharing a post put together by my son,Steve. I am very proud of the work he does and love to share it with you all.


Johnston Canyon
1/2 second exposure f/22, 12-40 f2.8 lens on OMD EM-1 Handheld using built in image stabilization.
Processed in Lightroom from a RAW file to maintain detail in the highlights as well as the shadow areas.


Top of Sulphur Mountain, Banff
1/3200 f/4.0, 12-40 f2.8 lens on OMD EM-1
Processed in Lightroom from a RAW file with a gradient tool to bring down the highlight of the sky.


Top of Sulphur Mountain
9 image stitch (stitched in Photoshop)
1/1600 f4.0, 12-40 f2.8 lens on OMD EM-1
All images processed in Lightroom from RAW files with gradient tool used to bring down haze and highlights in the sky.


Johnston Canyon Lower Falls
15 image stitch to get a wider angle of view.
1/5sec f/16 12-40 f2.8 lens on OMD EM-1


Here is the process I went through to create the Johnston Canyon Lower Falls image.  Below are 15 JPEG images straight out of the camera.  To create the final image that was posted I used the RAW files though and I’ll explain as I go along why that is.    So first I processed all the images in Lightroom.  Some of the images I worked in Lightroom with a spot adjustment tool to create an HDR image essentially.  Notice at the very top of the falls is a really bright spot where the sun is shining against the trees.  This became a very distracting spot and draws the eye away from the main subject.  I used the spot adjustment tool and lowered the exposure on that area.  I also made a general over all adjustment to the shadows.  If you look at the close up image below you can see that bright highlight in the trees that I’m talking about as well as how “blocked up” the shadows are.  That’s because this was shot as a JPEG.  When I shot in RAW I was able to manipulate these images way beyond what any JPEG is able to be worked.  It brought out a lot more detail in the highlights as well as in the shadow areas of the image making a much richer and fuller looking image.  After working with these files in Lightroom I then opened them in Photoshop to stitch the files together to create the full image.  After the final image was stitched I then opened it in SnapSeed (desktop version) and added a little extra separation to the water to to show the patterns a little more.


30 comments:

  1. they are all fantastic, I really love the panorama view. gorgeous photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photograph! Talent certainly runs in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know your entire family were photographers...How wonderful....These shots are amazing and I love the details of his work he so generously shared with us.....I know you are one proud mama.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know your entire family were photographers...How wonderful....These shots are amazing and I love the details of his work he so generously shared with us.....I know you are one proud mama.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve, beautiful images! What was your exposure range in your three shot sequence? I often use the HDR process in my images. I learned awhile back that it was better to use a 5 shot sequence which gives a better range of exposure!
    I have fun playing with these things and I'm not a pro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, this was not a true "HDR" photo... I adjust the exposure of the highlights after the fact in Lightroom. Because this image was shot in RAW image quality the level of control is far greater than shooting only jpeg files.

      Delete
  6. The pictures are all awesome, but I really like what he did with the waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures are all awesome, but I really like what he did with the waterfalls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photography and thanks for sharing!! Had my two youngest grandsons with me for an hour in the back garden the other day. The first thing that youngest did was take his iPad and photograph everything!! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is beautiful. The water looks like satin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice images. I appreciate the technical information, too. Linda at To Behold the Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too appreciate the technical info.....Stunning photos of the awesome beauty of this world. God is so Good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's obvious Steve has inherited photographic genes from both his parents. All of these photos are gorgeous. I'm impressed with the way he stitches individual images together to form larger photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As I am not a photographer I do not understand the technical, but appreciate the outcome. The pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautifully done! love the 2nd shot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning photography from Steve. I love the collage of the waterfall

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great shots! Your son is very talented, Ruth, but you already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It all went over my head but as long as I enjoy the end result, it's okay! I want to get good waterfall shots like his which look so soft!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful photography! Thanks for telling us how you accomplished the final picture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome photography.. I know you are proud of Steve, Ruth. He has yours and Jake's talent. LOTS of people call themselves photographers ---but there are only a few who really have the 'eye' for good photography. All of the fancy equipment in the world doesn't mean a thing if the photographer doesn't have that special talent given to him/her by God. Steve definitely has that talent.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, wow, wow, you have a VERY talented son! (I'm sure he takes after his mother!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you Steve! I really enjoyed your photos and the tutorials. I like reading what editing tools you used for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Ruth, This is a great post and Steve has wonderful photos here. It is quite interesting to read about how he created some of the pics from the RAW shots. Thanks to Steve for sharing and thanks to you, Ruth, for letting him share! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your son is enormously talented! Those water shots are so beautiful. I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooooh I see talent runs in the family!! Gorgeous images!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! The scenery and the photography!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful, stunning pictures - they're simply breathtaking. Hopefully, I can submit myself a few of my Madrid pictures as a guest post.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth