Saturday, August 8, 2015

HEADING WEST TO BANFF

August 1st,and I am up before the sun is,getting a few last minute things together for a quick trip west to Banff,Alberta.Before 6am,Steve and Kai pulled up at my house,loaded my stuff and away we were. 


The early morning light made these wind turbines look lovely.The moon in the western sky added to the beauty.

It was a long day of driving.Roughly 14 hours from Morden,to Calgary,Alberta and we were determined to do this in one day.We arrived in Calgary around 8:30pm,at the hotel Steve had reserved for us.By this time we were all ready to settle down and get some rest.


Sunday morning,it was a quick breakfast and then about an 1 ½ hours of driving to get to the mountains.I was so excited to finally be right there,it had been 27 years since I last was in the mountains.You can see by this picture that I was shooting through a dirty windshield,but I didn't mind,I could clearly see these majestic mountains.


As we got even closer,we pulled over to get some better pictures.I don't usually like pictures with hydro lines in them,but this was the best I could do from the roadside.


 The moon was still visible in the western sky,adding to the beauty of the scene.

We stopped at a small lake and Steve and Kai had to go check it out.Even Kai was getting her own photos with her iPod.


I had to get my two travel companions on a picture.This was going to be a full and fun day.


We spent only one day in the mountains,partly because of time restraints and costs,but we filled that day with lots of activity,beautiful scenery and time together,making memories.
Watch for more posts to come from this one day.

23 comments:

  1. There's nothing to me quite as majestic as our Rocky Mountains! Got to drive through them when I returned from Chilliwack two weeks ago! God's amazing beauty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen the Rockies from the BC side. Driving through them gave me a strange sensation that I was not very appreciative of. I don't know what it was. That said, the mountains are beautiful. and I love pictures of them. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fourteen hours in one day sure is a LOT! I guess you could sleep whenever you weren't the driver. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful place. I am glad you're having a great time with good company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh My ---I'm so excited to see these pictures....Can't believe that you and Jake didn't go there sometimes... 27 years is a long long time to stay away from that beauty.... BUT--I'm glad you got there now.. And your pictures are fantastic.... We don't get to the Smokies as much as I would like, and they are only about 3 hours from us.... Oh Well.... Tis Life!!!

    It's hard getting pictures from the roadside when it comes to all of the poles and lines. We have that problem also...

    I am just so glad you got to go and with such a beautiful family. Life is Good!!!

    Much Love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. those mountains are awe inspiring... and i like the photo of the two of them at the edge taking photos.. that is a long drive, i have not ridden that far since i was a child. the 6 hour trip to Savannah was enough to wear me out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mountains are awesome.
    Sounds like a great vacation and one of many happy memories.
    I love to see the wind turbines. I am mesmerized by them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mountains are truly majestic. I can understand why you were so eager to see them again. We're looking forward to seeing the mountains in Wyoming in a couple of weeks, and I'm hoping we can get to Banff next year. Could we get you, Steve and Kai as tour guides?

    ReplyDelete
  9. WoW!!!! what gorgeous scenes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 14 hours of driving would make for a very long day...but look at the scenery!!! Gorgeous Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful area! It doesn't get much better than Banff. I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your get-away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so pretty there! So glad you got to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Banff is a great place. Went camping there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a beautiful place and you had great companions to share it with Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful place to visit with those favorite people in your life. It was 33 years ago when we were in that area with our kids. It is so awesome around there. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful place to visit with those favorite people in your life. It was 33 years ago when we were in that area with our kids. It is so awesome around there. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have always wanted to travel there...how wonderful to have such fun travel companions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, what a lovely trip! You followed our route when we came home in June. The scenery around Banff is the best in the world. Well, I think so anyway! I really like the trip across Alberta and Saskatchewan too! There's always so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The scenery is just gorgeous, Ruth. I hope some day to get to see that area myself. Until then, I really enjoy seeing your photos and look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What beautiful majestic mountains! I have never seen mountains like the before...only tree covered ones in the Smokies or Appalachian Blue Ridge. What a fun trip this must have been...you captured some wonderful photos and memories too, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Canadian Rockies are so majestic! Hard to explain the beauty. Really enjoyed my trip through the mountains in July. Happy that you enjoyed the trip with your son & granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. just gorgeous. we loved Baniff ... i am not sure it was the same or similar area ... but we had a ball ... that Canada is just too priceless ... those views are heaven sent. i always enjoy seeing the huge windmills ... they are monstrous. my parents got to see one built ... they start out so small & piece by piece they reach the sky. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a long trip, but your pictures are so beautiful! And I can tell you had great company :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth