Saturday, August 15, 2015

Johnston Canyon,Banff,Alberta Part 1

Johnston Canyon was right near the top of the list of places to see while in Banff.
This was the first place we stopped at on our one day tour of Banff National Park.
Having been there many years ago,27 years,to be exact,I sort of knew what to expect,but had also forgotten some areas.

Steve,Kai and I started down this 1.1km or just over half a mile long walk/hike which took us to the Lower Falls.
We walked alongside this stream the whole distance,with the scenes changing constantly.

This beautiful young lady was always willing to pose for a picture at trailside.
It was a joy to have this time together with two of the people,here on earth that I love the most.


We took longer than many,to walk this distance,because with two photographers,we stopped frequently to capture the scenes.


This was one of those walks where there was spectacular beauty all the way and I wanted so much to capture most of it.


The closer we got to the Lower Falls,the canyon walls became deeper.


This is what much of the walk looked like,a walk suspended at the edge of the canyon walls.I dared not think about this while on the walk,or I might have become very nervous,instead,I focused on the beauty my eyes were seeing.


As we neared the Lower Falls the water became more and more turbulent.The sound was amazing and the sight,awesome.

In a day or two,I will take you to the Lower Falls.
Until then,I leave you with the first verse of the hymn,I Sing The Mighty Power of God.

I sing the mighty power of God, that made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at God’s command, and all the stars obey.

18 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that if we ever make it to Banff this walk may be at the top of our list as well. I doubt you could take any longer to make the hike than Betsy and I could, We don't make fast progress around flowing water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are so rich in beauty and I imagine you stopped quite often to take a good look, and a picture or two. I am glad you are enjoying this adventure, and I'm looking forward to more pictures. When you close with a hymn, I find myself singing it, and then it is in my head for a long while after. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to what Bonnie said! Your pictures are awesome! I know this was a very special time,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the beautiful path, through the big trees and along the racing stream...it just speaks to me. Love this! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place has stolen my heart. The beauty is magnificent. I'm doubly glad man has not ruined it. Thanks for taking me with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i had to go back & see if we had been there too ... sure enough we did. did you see that post? i will link it here if not. we loved our visit. it was super packed the day we were there. i need to use the restroom & they were cleaning them when we were there. so i had to wait until another stop. that is why i remember them. ha. ha! the gift shop was bumper to bumper people so crazy. have a nice weekend. loved your pics.

    http://www.elizardbreathspeaks.com/2015/03/upper-lower-falls-at-johnston-canyon.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH WOW WOW WOW.... I would LOVE to see that canyon/waterfalls... That is MY kind of place. How beautiful!!!! I got so excited just looking at your pictures. I'm SO glad that you three got to make this trip --even a short one. How MARVELOUS....

    Big Hugs to all of you,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ruth, These are wonderful pictures. The scenery reminds me of Yellowstone National Park ... one of my favorite places. Looks like you had a great time. What are the chances you could get Steve to share some of his pictures with us?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous! I can totally understand why you photographers stopped to take so many lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous place for a family outing! Your images are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth, what a wonderful place! I've never been in there! Will have to make a special effort next time with pass through.
    You have such a pretty travelling companion! No not Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing place to visit & to take the time to snap lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful place to walk and I so enjoyed all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm not sure what is more beautiful, the view or kai!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful place... I wouldn't want to leave! I can almost hear the rushing waters below. You have a wonderful son and a precious grand daughter who evidently love spending time with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful place - lovely photos, Ruth!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember how lovely Banff was. Most places I go to I find so much beauty to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth