Wednesday, May 18, 2016

All About Birds

It's no secret I love birds.The pictures I'm showing today go back to April of this year.
This is about the time that the birds become  more active and new birds are showing up.

The Blue Jay is a year round resident in Southern Manitoba and I like that.Those bright blue feathers light up many a winter day,not to mention the fun it is to watch them come for peanuts and other food at the window feeder.


The little Dark-eyed Junco shows up on my yard in fall and again in early spring.I enjoy having them around.They fill the trees with their cheerful twittering.


The Purple Finches are some of our early migrants.These birds are easily recognized if you remember one simple rule.I read somewhere that the male of this species looks like he was dipped in a glass of red wine.They also do not have the heavily streaked breast that the House Finch has.


We have woodpeckers around all year,but not this one.This is a male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.The yellow on the belly is often almost to faint to see.They do drill holes in the tree trunks and wait for the sap and also the other insects that are attracted to the sap.

One bird that most everyone,birder or not,recognizes,is the American Robin.When the Robin has arrived in this area,it seems like it must be spring.I have them coming to my deck to get the raisins I put out just for them.As with any other hobby,bird feeding is not necessarily cheap.


The closing thought today is especially for all my friends.Thanks for being a part of my life.

Friends are the closest thing to angels,this side of heaven.

24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful selection! Great portaits of each one. We have all of them. Except we have the house finches instead of the purple ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruth, You have focus and lighting down perfectly in these shots. I can't imagine getting better bird photos. Congrats to you on these pictures! Also, regards your recent comment on my blog ... I agree with you about the Teton Mountains ... I think they are the most beautiful in North America.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love birds too... I think our juncos are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some awesome shots here! Enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shots are wonderful, Ruth! The bluejay looks like a young one and he is a beauty and perfectly captured. We're thinking alike tonight as I just finished a post showing some of the birds I snapped in the backyard! Love your closing thought, I quite agree. Take care and enjoy the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birds have a special place in Gods creation, when we think of all the mentions of them in Scripture & He has made them so beautifully! I really enjoyed your photos & descriptions Ruth, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful bird photos. You have some fantastic visitors to your gardens.

    Thanks for sharing all the beauty that surrounds you up there.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. i always know when it is spring with all the robins running around, they really show up whenever they wish to be around. i think a bit before spring really? ha. ha! great shots. so cute. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you know I too am 'crazy' over birds. And such a lovely, beautiful array of these you share. Wishing we had Blue Jays in our neck of the woods. But, nope. At least I've never seen any.

    Did you know that blue jay feathers are not ACTUALLY blue? [they're brown, but reflect the light just as the sky does]

    ReplyDelete
  10. that jay is so pretty.. a little different than our jays. and we have Jays and Cardinals year round to. my favorite is that sweet junco, i think because i have never seen one and they are so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think I've ever seen a yellow-bellied sapsucker. You got a great shot of this one and all these birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic bird shots, Ruth. I love the description of the male purple finch...that's exactly what he looks like! We have a couple of different woodpecker species but have never seen this beauty in my yard. And funny as it seems, we rarely have a robin in our yard. I guess worms are not very plentiful in hard, red clay :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. You got some great portraits, Ruth. They're all marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ruth Now the image of the Jay is amazing and I love the Woodpecker also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just saw my first Robin of the season this morning, Ruth. It was pecking in the ground wet from melting snow. I get a lot of Gray Jays here and some big Blues, too. I like your little Finch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ruth, beautiful bird images! I love them all! The Sapsucker is still on my list of not seen yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome beauties Ruth, I can't tell the difference between purple finches and the male house finches!!! I get a lot of house finches!! And the bluejays are one of my favorites, I think you know that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A wonderful collection of birds... great photos Ruth. I too really enjoy watching and photographing birds. I am always very excited when I come across a new bird on our farm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always love to get photos of birds, but it is definitely not easy! Yours are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos of our little friends and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely photos as always! We have a lot of the same birds year round. I enjoy the color of the Blue Jay, too and love to watch him gobble up food. I never tire of woodpeckers and watching how they act. Your Bible quotation was very timely for me...I'm doing a Beth Moore Bible study on the Fruit of the Spirit right now and this week is "love":-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely selection of birds Ruth. Your Blue Jay is so pretty. We have Steller's Jays here. We have similar birds but your photos show them off so well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the bird photos - nice captures. I finally got out and refilled my bird feeder - it had been a long time since I had done that. Now, the birds have to "rediscover" that there is food there once more. Thanks for all the nice comments that you make on my blog posts - I really appreciate them. Have a lovely day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth