Monday, October 3, 2016

Cacti at the Gardens

Today and for a few more posts to come later,I will share with you the Cacti Collection at the International Peace Gardens. This was at one point a private collection and was donated to these Gardens.This collection belonged to a gentleman from Minot,North Dakota.His day job was that of a tire salesman.
The following is from an article published some years ago, when this collection was given to the Peace Gardens.

 Vitko, 57, started the collection at age eight on his grandparents' farm. He was keen about gardening but couldn't be at his grandparents house every day to water plants. So he chose cacti because he could visit his grandparents on weekends and water his plants. He still has the first cactus he planted.
A few years later, he begged for and got a tiny greenhouse. He kept collecting until he had 5,200 different plants.
"You walked into his house and every square inch was packed with cactus," said Olwage.

I will now let you scroll through the pictures, just be careful not to get pricked by any of those sharp spines.







Closing thought:
The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13 comments:

  1. Wow, these are gorgeous! I have never seen such beautiful pictures of cactus. Especially the close ups. They are just stunning! I think my favorite cactus is that tall twisty one, I have never seen one like it. I am so glad you are posting more!! This is one of your best posts ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing dear,looking at them is pleasure with surprise as saw for the first time .really beautiful ,elegant and unique

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really beautiful. Who knew that cacti could be so pretty? Thanks for the background story, too. That makes the photos even more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that second one is awesome to see.. that is a LOT of cacti... for some reason I kill cacti and always have. I have tried the little pretty ones with bright colors. a few weeks and they die. I can't believe he still has the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great pictures of the cacti. It's interesting that all these beauties came from the collection of one man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing plants! What a collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruth, lovely images! What a great story! For some reason, Cacti appeal to me too! Some of these look pretty scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an interesting post! I think the second photo with the interesting shaped cacti is my favorite. I always think to myself when I see these that I'd sure hate to fall into them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, thank you so very much for your loyalty in visiting and comments. It means a lot to me. I have several huge cactus, but not as many as you shared. I love them as they are easy to take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some really nice looking cacti. I like them all.
    I'd sure hate to fall on one though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...these are awesome! You have some stunning close-ups too but just be careful...you know...about getting too close :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful captures of what I view as a very unique group of plants!! The third image, outstanding, only Mother Nature can create something so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ruth, Another wonderful header for October. You are the best at regular updates on the header! Interesting story and pics here on the cacti. It surprises me that there was enough heat for him to do this garden, even in a greenhouse, in N.D. I don't recall seeing this exhibit at the International Peace Garden but my visit was long ago! Thanks for sharing this. I really do want to return to the Peace Garden one of these days. Like the "Closing Thought" too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth