Friday, October 21, 2016

The Souris Swinging Bridge

On the same day that I visited the International Peace Gardens,I also had a chance to see the Souris Swinging Bridge.It was about a 40 mile detour,but in the end was well worth it.
I wasn't sure that I really wanted to walk across this bridge so I went rather apprehensively.


This is the bridge which is for vehicle traffic.The river is fairly wide and at certain seasons of the year can be quite high.

Here is a short piece of the original bridge.Let me just go on record, saying that I would not have set foot on that bridge.

Before I walked across the bridge,I had to make sure it was safe.

After seeing those heavy duty bolts and cables,I felt very confident that it was safe, indeed.

The bridge is strong and also a beautiful structure.



I love the lines and patterns in this structure.


As the sun was setting, the lights along the bridge came on.Even though it was not fully dark, it just added to the beauty of the bridge.

It really is quite long at 604 feet.


This bridge has been rebuilt several times, because flood waters had damaged it.
The town of Souris Manitoba is relatively small,with a population somewhere around 2000 people.This bridge is a major attraction to this area.
The following is a quote from the Souris website.
Re-built in 2013, with a price tag of $4.5 million, the new bridge is reflective of the original design, but  with long term durability in mind, the Swinging Bridge remains our town’s most famous landmark.  Bridging  the river for 110 years, and still standing to do the same for the century ahead.


One final picture.I love the lines in this shot.

Closing Thought:
A problem is a chance for you to do your best.




25 comments:

  1. Looks like that bridge is mighty sturdy. I agree that the old structure looks less reliable. I'm noticing those beautiful flowers to the side. It looks like a peaceful spot. You had the bridge to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful Ruth, I luv swinging bridges, this one looks awesome...thanks for sharing! ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy Edmister posted above comment, don't know why it says unknown??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy Edmister posted above comment, don't know why it says unknown??

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful Ruth, I luv swinging bridges, this one looks awesome...thanks for sharing! ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. After seeing the original bridge, there was a definite need for a new stronger one! Beautiful photos of this amazing structure and the light was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful bridge! It definitely looks sturdily built and has beautiful lines. 604 feet is long!

    Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos and dialogue. I especially love the last photo. As you follow the lines it makes me think of a "Bridge To Heaven".
    Have a Blessed Day and thanks for all you share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful bridge, so I'm glad you made the detour to see (and cross) it. Since you've conquered this bridge, I'd like to invite you to visit the Mile High Swinging Bridge in North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so beautiful. Your eye for lines and space and light is quite amazing. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely spot! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you on staying off that original bridge! The current bridge looks like an amazing piece of engineering. I do love that shot of it with the flowers in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is really a beautiful bridge, I am thinking the pretties I have seen. I would not walk on the old or new. I don't do heights or bridges that move. but it is stunning, I love the last shot, it takes it to ART level. the lights are a great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is indeed beautiful! What an adventure it gave you! I love the lines, how it gently bows in the center. And the beautiful flowers underneath it. Love the shadows and play of dark and light in the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely shots. Now you need to see Capilano Suspension Bridge in Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful and beautiful bridge. I'd love to walk across it. : )
    You sure got some great shots of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks a sturdy bridge to walk over.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, thank you! I've been past Souris many times, but have never gotten off the highway. Have always seen the sign for the Swinging bridge but have never even seen a photo of it! Now I have! Great images by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your great pics of the bridge, we walked across on the old bridge many times when we lived in Ninette. I believe the new bridge was built by WBS from Winkler.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice pictures, Ruth. I just don't do bridges unless I'm forced into it. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. i think that is one of the long swinging bridges i have ever seen ... most are much shorter. i get kind of scared ... wondering if they will fall. i was never like that as a kid. only since adulthood. i think i did learn it from my mom. she is always nervous over heights. i wonder if it has something to do with my balance. at times i did have inner ear balance troubles. not daily but i think it is allergy related. ( :
    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is a beautiful bridge and I especially love that last shot of it. You are brave, Ruth. I doubt that I'd attempt to walk across as I'm very afraid of heights. I'm glad you got to see it and took these wonderful shots to show us!

    ReplyDelete
  23. An informative post with beautiful photos. We used to have several of the ones somewhat like the old one and some of those were a bit much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  24. nice captures...an exciting adventure, worth the 40 miles!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth