Thursday, January 5, 2017

Taking a Break from Snow Scenes

I don't know about you, but my eyes need a break from seeing snow so here is a post that began in early fall of 2016.


One place that I don't visit as often as I should, is our local golf course.This is in part, because I don't golf, but that need not keep me from enjoying beauty like this from the parking lot.


When I refer to the Pembina Valley,this is what I'm talking about.There are no hills around here to create a valley.The land is generally flat, but the Pembina River has carved this valley over many years.It is a beautiful sight at any time of year.


I love birds and will photograph them whenever I can.This Red-tailed Hawk was sitting just on the other side of the ditch and allowed me to stop and get several pictures, before he had enough and flew away.


A small marsh which I often visit, doesn't look like much as a rule, but on this day I thought the golden brown grasses and leaves made a lovely scene.


A Turkey Vulture allowed me to get fairly close before taking off.


And we have lift off.


Several Eagles were in the area.I do believe this and the next three shots are all immature Bald eagles.

I just happen to love these birds and that huge wingspan.



Did I take too many picture? Probably,but that is how it goes.I am limiting how many I post so you are spared the excess of photos.


From birds to grasses,I enjoy them all.


Milkweed seeds are ready to take flight on their silvery wings.


The Sumac is not the most beautiful shrub most of the year, but wait until it puts on it's fall finery and it most certainly is impressive.


Thought for Today:
I think the following is timely advice for the beginning of the new year.
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous captures today Ruth, how exciting to see the immature eagles!! I also enjoyed the great picture of the hawk!! We are expecting snow tonight and I am just a tad excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love raptors, too, so enjoyed every one of your shots of them. Also loved that marsh image. And I totally agree with you about Sumac in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos as usual. I think my favorite this time is the milkweed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great change from the snow scenes!! Hard to pick a fav!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind the snow scenes, they are such a contrast from us over here, but I did thoroughly enjoy this post and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two of my favorites are the gorgeous fiery Sumac and the turkey vulture taking off. Just look at that wing silhouette! This valley that is not a valley is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you can never ever take to many photos... I love the wing span shots, the leap in the air is beautiful. that valley is lovely and so is the pond at the golf course. I sometimes wish to see a valley, we are flat as a pancake here. I could drive a couple of hours and see small valleys. your header is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful to see the bird shots.The one shot of the turkey vulture made his wings look like angel wings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ruth, great images! Nice that the eagles were cooperative! I really love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Ruth, I do not know where to begin. I do agree those are juvenile Bald Eagles...love those of course. But I love all your shots...nice to see a bit of color. I had been thinking of posting a shot or two from fall, so nice to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can see why you would get tired of snow but in our case we rarely see it. I love all your pics, never thought of how pretty golf courses are. Eagles are majestic whenever I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed seeing your non snow photos of your area, Ruth, especially the hawks and eagles which are always impressive. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I delightful post of both birds and scenery Ruth. May I wish you a very happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning!! I enjoy any feathered species in flight or posing on a tree limb. You have some great shares here today. I think we all take photos in excess [I know I do...] but, the thing is that ONE special one just may be the next photo taken, right?

    Again, Ruth, gorgeous images!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Ruth, Wow, I don’t know where to begin – so many fine pictures in this post. The eagles are wonderful and the shot of the turkey vulture is great too. Love the colors in the other scenes. The marsh photo is so neat! This is an excellent break from the snow! By the way, what a wonderful new header you have for January. Thanks, as always, for sharing. Have a fine week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful "snowless" images.

    ReplyDelete
  17. those wings are gorgeous. all spread out and lovely!! i will be happy with whatever pics you decided to share but i must admit ... we have a bit of snow ... but i am really enjoying seeing every one's snowy views. show more when you can. unless you would rather not? giggles. whatever makes ya happy!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although I do like the snow, seeing these beautiful pics warm me up inside. You surely capture the most gorgeous shots of those birds...the eagles are so glorious! Thanks for the change of seasons! Now, back to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Although I do like the snow, seeing these beautiful pics warm me up inside. You surely capture the most gorgeous shots of those birds...the eagles are so glorious! Thanks for the change of seasons! Now, back to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really enjoyed your photos and I am the same, I always take a lot of photos and then go through them. I love the eagles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth