Saturday, January 14, 2017

Window on Winter

Many of my photos taken on my yard begin by me looking out the window.I may see something that demands a photograph.Sometimes,I get my parka and boots on and step outside to get that particular shot and at other times,I am able to, or am sort of forced to shoot through the window.


This first picture was not taken through a window, but I looked out and saw this scene and knew I needed to capture it before the wind destroyed it.
A heavy layer of wet snow had fallen overnight,earlier in December.This kind of snow clings to everything and here it clung to the scroll work of the bird feeder pole.Hanging from the pole is the round peanut feeder, now completely covered in snow. 


Since I was outside,I decided to wander around my yard and see if I could find any other photo worthy scenes.It didn't take long to find a variety of them.The sculpted snow on the lawn was one of many scenes that caught my attention.


Some days the weather is such that I would rather stay inside, but that doesn't mean that there is a lack of beauty. Some years ago a dear friend, and she will know who she is, sent me a package of five crystals.They have been hanging in my living room window since then.Sometimes they cast rainbows over the whole room and at other times they just add beauty to a dull day, simply by being there.


I move to my kitchen/dining room area and find another sort of beauty.
This female Pileated Woodpecker visits the suet at the window feeder and then flies to a nearby tree.On this particular day I was able to get numerous shots through the window.


When she flew back to the feeder, she was so close that all I could get was profile shot.I am not complaining about that.It is a treat to see this bird and even a greater treat to be able to photograph it.


Closing Thought:
If you want to be rich, count all the things you have that money can't buy.

18 comments:

  1. This is one handsome Pileated! Your first picture is great! It looks like a snow sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow---fantastic pictures... Don't think I've seen THAT much snow --hanging on something such as your feeder... Unbelievable.

    Great pictures of the Pileated... Birds will do whatever they can to find food during weather like that I'm sure.... Brrrrrrrrr...

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've definitely always got an eye to see the treasures that God creates for your pleasure! Such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great close shot of the woodpecker. The snow is so pretty.
    Wet snow is good for making snowmen too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that snow sculpture. And the woodpecker shots are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snowfalls certainly create some fantastic beauty. Thanks for capturing it so well and for sharing the beauty with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. More wonderful photos from you. I love the sculpted snow and the close-up of the woodpecker.

    Happy January dear Ruth ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. that snow sculpture is amazing. so beautiful and I would never have guessed what it was. I love crystals, maybe I should get a few for my nook. the glitter of glass has always fascinated me, that is why I love your ice crystal photons when you find them on your bus windows or other windows. great close up of the wood pecker.. can't tell it was taken through your window

    ReplyDelete
  9. An uplifting view of winter and that woodpecker--no words.
    I started counting what money can't buy and I'm a millionaire.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful captures! Oh how I envy your closeness to the Pileated :) And a wonderful closing thought!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love seeing designs as well when snow lands on everyday things. Great shots of the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth, lovely images! I really like the woodpecker! Aren't they big!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love them all...I love it when snow clings. And I love the pileated woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snow makes beautiful images as it clings to garden objects and the landscpae. You found some interesting images, Ruth, and the woodpecker was wonderful to see!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooh ruth, how exciting, she is beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful snow sculpture! The woodpecker is another bright spot in your day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would LOVE to see a pileated in real time!! Never have....only in photos from others.

    Your winter scenes are so very artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my fave is the woodpecker ... so so gorgeous. those colors!! amazing capture. ( ;

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth