Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Harshness and Beauty of Winter

We are winding down with winter,I hope. I do mostly enjoy winter, but the really cold days are not what I enjoy.Winter has so much beauty, but it also has a very harsh side.Today I hope to show you both of these.


On  a sunny winter day one small tree casts a shadow on the snow. It may be cold, but from the warmth of my car it is still beautiful.


Somebody forgot to give this bird the memo, that he should fly south in fall. This one and a friend have been around all winter.You can tell it is cold by the way the heated birdbath is almost covered with frost. The Robins have come daily to get some warm water to drink.


Like I said, winter has a harsh side. The reality is that with all the snow we've had and then add some wind, roads begin to look like this.No,I did not try to drive through this, but might well have have made it.Since I was out here with the car and had no need to go further,I decided to turn around.

The wind has blown the snow into beautiful sculptures.

 I had Steve and Kai with me so despite the cold wind, pictures had to be made. They were both dressed very warmly, so really didn't feel the cold.


I also said that winter has a lot of beauty. An earlier snow that stuck to everything, created this kind of beauty. This has turned a small shrub into a work of art.


The wind blows where it will and in so doing, it creates unique and fascinating scenes. Just look at that sharp layer of snow blown over the edge of a snowdrift.I am always amazed at how the wind can do this. I guess I should not be amazed, because God directs the wind.

Thought for Today:
The whole world is a series of miracles, but we're so used to seeing them that we call them ordinary things. 

20 comments:

  1. How well I remember those cold Winnipeg Winters - close enough to you in southern MB. Beautiful shots again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That one little tree seems to be struggling so much. Yes, I love the sharp angles of the drifts. They look so straight and unnatural, and yet they ARE natural. Poor little cold puffed up robin. I wonder why some don't migrate with the others? Good thing he has you to get him through the harsh winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos of winter's beauty! It DOES look COLD!

    That little robin looks so cute with his feathers fluffed out to keep warm. Bless his/her little heart.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. the loaded down bush, the blown wind art, love love them. the first photo I thought frozen tundra when I saw it. I have never seen this in real life but have read about it in many books. so very beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous ruth - all of them, you take the BEST images of the snow. my robins have been returning early, like right around now, every year, i'm not sure why!!!

    i LOVE your thought for today, how true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome winter sights. You are right winter creates so much beauty, but glad Texas does not get it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for showing both sides of winter in your beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you didn't try to drive down that road. You might have regretted it. Your photos are lovely. My favorite is the little snow-covered shrub. It is indeed a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful photography Ruth adn my favourite is no 7. Art snow. Shraing for sharing the beauty of winter

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, and even though it is snow, which has covered our land over last week, I can still appreciate its beauty. (Especially when it is in someone else's backyard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, beautiful images! I think you have the right state of mind for winter! I think that's important! If you don't, it'll be a long winter! Winter when I was growing up sure didn't slow us down. In fact I think we did more in the winter than any other time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The snow sure is pretty but does look so cold. But like you said with the proper clothes it can be a lot of fun too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my, what beauty! I love the snow laden shrub! Definitely a work of art. That road looks so, so cold. It has been a while since I have seen snow blowing across the road when I was out and about. Now I think twice about getting out in this type of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i never realize robins would stay around for snow ... i always heard they did run away, i wonder why this one has not gone to warmer temps? that is odd to me? i see a warmer post below going to check that one out too!! happy week to you!! Ruth you stay warm. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always feel sorry for the creatures, like those robins. I'm glad you give them fresh water. These are beautiful pictures.Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely to look at in photos, but I definitely do not like being in it, especially at my age.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your winter, our summer... what a contrast of seasons. Love your snow photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much, Ruth. I enjoyed the photos. Here it is stormy and dagerous outside :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. You still look a little snowbound out there Ruth. Shall I sneak a little springtime warmth through this comment? Hopefully not long now. I've seen robins all through this winter too, and have never seen them here in winter before. I know they like apples if you have some you could toss out to them. Poor little guy :( Robins in snow just look wrong! You have some beautiful shots of the snow. I love winter, so don't mind how cold or how snowy it gets. I just stay home if the roads get too bad.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  20. I actually prefer the cold to being too hot, Ruth. I always feel it is easier to dress warm and enjoy it than deal with trying to cool off on a humid and very hot day. Your photos look beautiful! Hope the robin can bring spring to your area soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth