Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Many Faces of Spring

Springtime in Manitoba has many faces. One day it can be warm and sunny and the next day may well bring snow.One thing we know for certain is that the cold and snowy days won't last too long.
Today I take you back to about the middle of April,when our lake was just beginning to thaw.

It was a fascinating sight to see the lake filled with these icy shards.

The setting sun cast a warm color over the still mostly frozen lake.

A closer look revealed some interesting scenes in the water.

At the spillway the water was creating interest. My Granddaughter,already in her pyjamas, enjoyed watching the water.

Zooming in I found these interesting patterns created by the water.


Of course, looking toward the sky can result in more photos taken. In this shot, the moon is obviously not full, but still pretty.

 On a different day the moon was full. The clouds gave it a softness that we don't usually see.

 Back at home the Red-breasted Nuthatch visits the bird bath. I love the fact that these birds are regulars on my yard all year.


 On a sunny day this spring,I spent some time enjoying the sights at the lake.The seeds of this Milkweed plant have long since left, but the empty pod is still quite attractive.

Of course, when a Bald Eagle flies by, that is always a thrill.


From the large eagle to the small butterfly, all are worthy of my attention.This was the first butterfly of the season for me,so it was extra special.


Closing Thought:
The God who created the universe is the God who loves you.

22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous moon pictures! Your first picture of the icy shards...I would not have known what it is! It looks like some kind of modern art! Gorgeous butterfly! I always love the sweet Nuthatches. Especially the way they walk down trees head first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured the many faces of spring amazingly! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic...of course the birds are super, but I must say the sun setting on the frozen lake is spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your photos of the lake and the water. Thanks for sharing the varied beauties of your Manitoba Spring with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the eye you have for interesting photos, and you've shown a good variety of them here. The sunset over the frozen lake is beautiful. Love the nuthatch and the butterfly, too. Also the pinkish full moon, and the empty milkweed pod.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always so exciting to see the bald eagle. Beautiful captures of the moon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful images Ruth. Love the eagle capture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful unique moments captured in your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have so many different and beautiful photos today. I think the ice shards and the sun over the icy water are my favorties because we can't see that here.. I like what the water was doing in patterns to

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful series of pictures you have posted. The third one reminds me of a relief map taken high up from an airplane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photographs. I have never seen a frozen lake or river so that is unique for me! You are so lucky to get to see eagles so often!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth, beautiful Spring images! I sure glad things are starting to grow and the old man winter has met his match with Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ruth
    The ice makes such unique patterns on the water! Seeing a bald eagle is a thrill, and lso a beautiful butterfly so early in May!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your granddaughter look so cold. i love the moth (oh i see you say butterfly, any who ... i need to google the difference, i am not sure of that, i think i need a bit of learning, going on.) and the eagle ... gorgeous moments!! have a great week and be Well and be Blessed!! we are having lots of wind this week, apparently Canada is sending us wind... so says the weather man. ha. ha!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our granddaughter would stay in pjs....she can't wait to put them on at night and if we are not going anywhere she stays in them all day.

    Always a thrill to see an eagle...it is amazing how much farther along we are in spring. that is always interesting to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful captures of the moon Ruth! The softness is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos are always so beautiful, Ruth, but you know my favorite...if I had to choose...would be the bald eagle! Love them and this is such a great shot. I'll admit to being very envious as I've yet to be able to capture one in flight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos always inspire...I find water fascinating too. Love the pj's. Well, I love the birds and the moon too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are so unique, pretty too. I love the patterns in the water, amazing. Your granddaughter looks so cute, warm comfy watching the water. The eagle is pretty to see a photo of but one flying over would be a thrill

    ReplyDelete
  20. The icy pictures made me shiver since it is 82 here today and quite HOT...... ha

    Love the moon picture.

    Also love the setting sun over the icy water.... WOW.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth