Monday, September 25, 2017

Scenes Along The Way

As most of you know,I love to drive along the roads in my area, seeing whatever there is to see. Most of the time I don't have to go far to find something of interest and worthy of a photo.
Today's post is filled with many pictures, all of which have been taken on my travels around my area.

Milkweed is beautiful, whether in bloom or later as the seed pods open up.


I have seen more deer this year than probably at any time before.Usually the does are the only ones that I see.This fawn is feeling somewhat protected by the grasses and weed he is in.


I have actually seen and been able to photograph a couple of young bucks this year as well.


On a recent drive near to where we lived for 20 years,I saw this cow. I have called them Oreo Cows,but shortly after getting this shot,I heard on the radio that this is a breed called Belted Galloway. The things I learn while listening to farm news.


In a small hamlet where my mother grew up,I saw this house. It has likely not changed much in many years.I don't think anyone lived in it now. This is not the house my mother grew up in, that one burned down many years ago.


The house may be old but the Hollyhocks are still blooming beautifully.


The Western Meadowlark is common around here.This one was so busy preening he didn't mind me taking a picture.


He finally looked up to see what I was doing.


While waiting for the sunset,I spied this piece of equipment. I am  not a farmer and have never been, so I had better not name this, as it would likely be wrong.I just liked the unique lines of it.


I do believe this is a Swainson's Hawk.


A small butterfly on the Tansy.


This is a Black Swallowtail.He was far away from me so I have had to crop the image significantly.

These a re a few of the sights I have seen ,while driving on mostly back roads in Southern Manitoba.

Closing Thought:
Dear Lord,I’m so grateful that You love makeovers as much as I do!
You know my heart and You know my messes,failures and wounds.
Please create a clean heart in me today,Lord.
Would You do a new and beautiful thing?
In Jesus’ name I pray,Amen

24 comments:

  1. you are lucky ruth, to live in such a beautiful area - although i think we photographers "find" the beauty - and appreciate it more than others. awesome captures, i find the deer sightings to be extremely exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the old house looks very much like my grandmothers home in rural GA. I love the farm thingy, looks like maybe a tiller of some kind. I like the shapes it makes. LOVE the oreo cows and I like listening to PBS, we have 2 stations on radio, now I wonder if there is a farm station. I like talk shows, not the mean kind the information kind. I wonder if the deer are out because it is warmer than usual

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos Ruth! Love the farm equipment shot (it's a hay rake). You're lucky to capture so much wildlife without it all running/flying away from you. Aren't deer just beautiful creatures :)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this wonderful tour of the roads around your area, Ruth! Loved the deer & that old house really draws me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the winged shots ... what a gorgeous September it has been!! flown by. we had a nice trip to Niagara area of Canada to be with camping buddies so fun. a great rally indeed. nice weather too. hope you are well. take care. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this is what Tansy looks like! They almost look like flat lily pads. Yes, we have the Oreo cows! I always call them this because I cannot remember the proper name. It's been a long time since I have seen a Meadowlark. Pink milkweed! I thought they are only white. Yes, there are many more deer this year than ever before. We have come so close to hitting several this summer. And now they are breeding, so it is worse than ever. Great hawk I.d. from overhead and some distance away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing the beautiful scenes you capture as you road your area. Each and every photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing these beautiful drives with us!! It's amazing to stop and really look at the beauty around us! You have done that very nicely!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how nice to have the house your mom grew up in still around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My iPad froze when I enlarge it to see if I spelled correctly 😀. I do enjoy all the beauty's you find around you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful sights. Love the old house, as well as the wildlife shots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed the ride with you and all the interesting sights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bird shot! Thanks for showing us around! I enjoyed the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your beautiful photos very much. You live in a beautiful place and the photos are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so enjoy looking at all your pictures. What a great variety we had today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Ruth, I enjoyed seeing what you found on your drive. I especially love the photo of the pretty hollyhocks still growing at the old homestead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful country scenes. You and I like alot of the same things. I have oreo cookie cows down the road from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruth, beautiful images! You make my heart long for my old Prairie stomping grounds! Thanks for the info on the Belted Oreo!! I've seen a few out here and didn't know what they were! How are all your bus kids this year? I know they will all be well behaved for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have loved to be on that drive with you...beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are all such beautiful finds, Ruth. This seems to be a different variety of milkweed than what we have in our area...your blooms are a much bolder of pink and shaped a bit different...milkweed is one of my favorite things to photograph. I absolutely love the old boarded up house, another kind of thing my eye goes to...old, rundown houses and buildings...in fact, I have a post in the works about some that I have come upon. The contrast of the lovely pink hollyhock against the old house is almost an oxymoron...but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I was a kid I used to pick hollyhocks & make leis!

    The deer steal the show today.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the look of delicate tansy made even more fragile by that butterfly. I was just wondering this morning if hollyhock would grow in the mountains. It's a sweet old-fashioned plant. I like your name best - Oreo Cow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The hollyhock is so beautiful. Wish it can withstand the weather here

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for taking the time to visit this blog.I would appreciate your comments.I read everyone,but do not always take the time to respond to each one.Please come back again real soon.
Ruth